Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 06:27 PM

21 posts, read 57,546 times

Advertisements

I live in the beautiful but cold state of Maine and am a widow. I am looking to relocate to someplace warmer and open to people from other parts of the country. I am looking for someplace safe, as I have no family except my dogs (beagles) and would like to start a new life. One question, are there poisonous snakes in Oneonta? Thanks for your feedback. I am in my early fifties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 07:06 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delicacy View Post
I live in the beautiful but cold state of Maine and am a widow. I am looking to relocate to someplace warmer and open to people from other parts of the country. I am looking for someplace safe, as I have no family except my dogs (beagles) and would like to start a new life. One question, are there poisonous snakes in Oneonta? Thanks for your feedback. I am in my early fifties.
Why Oneonta?

Are you going to work? Where? Doing what?

Rent or buy a home? Budget?

Old 02-09-2009, 07:25 PM

216 posts, read 580,800 times
There is not a lot in Oneonta. I have family that lives there, and there are a lot of chicken farms. Not much else. But yes, there most definately are poisonous snakes...and bears!

Old 02-09-2009, 07:32 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,718,462 times
I would like to invite you to consider the western slope or rural mountains of Colorado. There are LOTS of men in this state, many of them single, if you are interested and some snow but a lot more sunny weather to improve your outlook on life.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:12 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,202,996 times
It is a nice little town, I live not too far from Oneonta. I am also a widow who moved to a small town in NE AL I love it here. Very safe. The COL is very reasonable. I am retired w SS from my LDH and do just fine. There is a downside to living in a small town as there are no malls, no movie theaters unless you want to drive to the nearest big city. I have a few friends, met and dated several men although most lived in other towns around me.

I have dogs but don't worry about snakes since they don't leave my big yard. Unless you have acreage and plan on letting them run loose on the property, I wouldn't worry about snakes. I have lived here since 05 and have never seen a snake or heard of anyone that has seen one, although I am sure they are around in the woods. I have seen foxes in the woods across the street from my house. There are coyotes but I haven't heard of any bears in this area.

I understand where you are coming from, as I felt a need for a fresh start. In fact, it has been 6 years ago today since my DH passed away.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:14 PM

Default Why Oneonta?

Charles, I have looked into other southern states such as Florida. I discovered it would cost a fortune to insure a home, even a small one. I follow the stock market and one of the companies is located in Oneonta. I called the CEO and reached his voice mail and never expected anyone to call me back, but to my amazement 'he' did call back. I thought, 'Wow this is incredible, that there are some responsible people with big titles who care about everyone,' That is what made me consider looking into Oneonta. I am on SS disability, my husband was killed in an accident in Maine almost 7 years ago and I still get spooked when I see a lumber truck. I would probably like to buy a small home, like 3 or 4 rooms or rent a small home.

To Keeper -- my condolences to the loss of your husband, and thank you for your outlook.

I have 2 beagles, I have a fenced in yard for them now and they run about. Maine has the beach, where I swim in the summer and I live a pretty unexcited life. I like to watch tv, go for walks, write poetry and am the author of a novel, but it didn't do too well sales wise. I rarely go to malls, just the grocery market and a few restaurants.

Esya, thank you for your reply. I am not too familiar with Colorado, but know it is also a beautiful state. I do know it is very expensive to live in Boulder and I am looking to move someplace where the cost of living is affordable.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:06 PM

I am sorry for your loss.. for me moving away from FL was a way to start a new life. You can find a nice older house for less than 100K with a big yard in these small towns. The property taxes are low compared to FL, so is home owner ins. You can find reasonable rentals but many do not allow pets.

I too live a pretty low key life here. I rarely go into H'ville, the closest city to me as I can find everything I need or want here or in Guntersville, a city 10 miles away.

Not sure how the restaurants are in Oneonta as I only went to a fast food place when I went there. There are a few 'home style' restaurants just like here. I believe it is a dry city, meaning no alcohol is sold in the city.

The ppl here will invite you to their church as it is considered it neighborly. You can thank them and that is all that is needed. This is in the heart of the bible belt so you will find a lot of churches and born again Christians. I have found everyone to be friendly and men tip their hats/caps to women, something I haven't seen in years.

Here is a little more info on Oneonta
//www.city-data.com/city/Oneonta-Alabama.html

Old 02-10-2009, 05:45 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Dothan is worth considering, and maybe some of the smaller towns around it like Geneva, Ozark, or Enterprise. You'd still be able to enjoy the beach in Panama City.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:49 PM

Default Men tipping their caps!

Hi Keeper,

Thank you for your condolences on the loss of my husband, the seven year anniversary of his death is this Friday, Feb. 13th. I have been having a rough time of it and the reminders seem stronger this time of year.

I am not originally from Maine, I am from Rhode Island, my husband was from Massachusetts. It has been hard to assimilate and sadly I received little morale support here in Maine. It is nice to hear that men tip their caps. I have never seen any man do that except in the movies of yesteryear.

I do not drink alcohol so it wouldn't matter to me if the area was 'dry,' in regards to alcohol sales. As for churches, I wouldn't mind joining one if I could find the right one. Maybe it's what I need, but thus far have had little success here in Maine, although I've only checked out 2 thus far.

How is the weather? Do you get tornadoes? Also, how is the healthcare. Do you have problems with mold in homes? I remember when I was checking out Florida, that they told me you have to have your air conditioner on all the time or your home will mold out. Is this true in Alabama? Thank you for the link, I will read it, and thanks again for your morale support!!!

Old 02-10-2009, 09:30 PM

OM tonight is the anniversary of my DH's death and he was from MA. I do understand what you mean about how these days bring back so many memories.

Regarding NE AL..
Tornadoes are a possibility around here although they also happen in FL where they don't have the sirens to warn ppl if there is a warning that one is close.
I haven't had any problems with healthcare but you would be close to Birmingham and UAB which is a well known excellent medical facility.
I don't think mold is a problem since summer only last 3-4 months here unlike FL where summer starts in March/April and lasts to Nov. Plus it is not nearly as humid here. It does get hot here in summer late in the PM, especially in late July and Aug. There are 4 seasons, unlike FL where you only have 2 seasons.

I lived in Tampa for 30 years so I can tell you the differences in both areas.

There is also S. AL.. depending on what you are looking for in an area. The terrain is different, flatter but you would be closer to the Gulf. Not sure how HOI is in Dothan, but I know it costs a lot more in Fairhope which is where I would live if I could afford it. The ppl are nice but the COL is more than up here. I was born and raised in Mobile so I have many fond memories of living there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama