Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 11:39 AM

4 posts, read 28,038 times

Advertisements

Boy I tell you WHUUT. Dats sum-mmm else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2007, 07:51 PM

84 posts, read 441,960 times
Love this thread. Here's one I've heard old-timers say: "She's hard-favored" meaning very not pretty. Also, some expressions transplants get, but not the subtle nuances. Example:

"Bless your heart" does indicate sympathy, unless someone is telling a funny story and you are smiling as you say it. "Bless her heart" at the end of a sentence means that she's definitely wearing the wrong dress and "That girl, she's a mess" means she's a cut up and tons of fun.

My husband, the Iowa transplant, does his best with the maa'm expression, but still doesn't quite get it right. I've told him every woman is a "maa'm", but you uses it differently for family. For example, you answer "Yes maa'm to your mother and grandmother, along with all of your aunts and great-aunts" but you do not say "Let me help you with that maa'm" to your grandmother. You say "Nana, let me get that for you" and the maa'm in that instance would be reserved for someone you don't know well. You'd answer every question your mother-in-law asked with "Yes maa'm or no maa'm, but you would never say "Maa'm, let me help you out of the car". Again, that would be what you would say to a stranger. Get it?? He's still confused.

DamnYankee is indeed one word; the dictionary doesn't have it correct. (Although some of my dearest friends are Yankees, bless their hearts.) Another word not listed correctly in the dictionary is: That-Notorious-Yankee-War-Criminal-Sherman used correctly as: Even that-notorious-yankee-war-criminal-Sherman said "War is Hell". (I'm originally from Savannah, GA, so we are pretty serious about the Sherman issue.)

Last, one thing I didn't know about Alabama before moving here is that not everyone loves the song "Sweet Home Alabama". I have friends who are Auburn alumni that won't stay in the room if it is played. They're a mess.

Old 05-15-2007, 10:14 PM

1 posts, read 14,262 times
Though Alabama born of Alabama parents, I've lived in Montana for 20 years, and folks here still have a hard time understanding me. They find it odd I get riled up over something my young 'uns (or chillun, NEVER "kids") have done, or are fixin to do. Should see the looks I get when I warn someone to be careful or they're liable to get whopped upside the head.... A lightnin' bug is generally believed to refer to the local arsonist.

Old 05-16-2007, 03:56 PM

4 posts, read 32,017 times
One of my personal favorites is "puttin on airs".
Not sure about that spelling, I've never actually written it down before!

Definition: Pretending to be better/richer/smarter than you really are.

Ex.: "Look at Mary over there flirtin with the mayor! You know she's just puttin on airs, bless her heart.

Which brings up another good point - us southern women just LOVE to gossip!

Another fave is "Hair on a biscuit".
Now, this is funny! My mama used to say this all the time. I can't really give a definition here, but I can give an example.

Ex: "She's stuck on that boy like hair on a biscuit!"

Have you ever tried to pull a peice of hair off of a biscuit?! You can't. And that's where the saying comes from! Hope ya'll enjoyed this!

Old 05-16-2007, 05:17 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Maggiemay, you done good tellin' it like it is. To add to what you sa-ud, watch out with the "Bless his heart" phrase as a subtle put-down. Be even more aware when it is "Bless his little heart." They can both mean "He done be stoopid, and he don' know no better, but he's doin' the best he can with what God gave him."

You can tell how it was meant if you respond with something like "Well, bless YOUR heart for thinking that way about him." If the person is thinking positive thoughts, it is a compliment. If they are being catty, it scratches deeper than their claws can.

As someone who grew up in Vermont, but adopted Alabama as their real home, I totally, absolutely, 100% agree about Sherman being a war criminal. His actions have direct connections to the bombing of Dresden and other atrocities. For those who aren't up on their history, he destroyed a swath from Atlanta to Savannah, without regard to race, creed, color, or sympathy to the Confederacy. He didn't have supply lines, so his troops confiscated what they needed to survive, destroyed the rest, and moved on, leaving the residents to starve. His actions weren't needed to win the war, and it was a barbarian pillaging sanctioned by his friend Grant.

Old 05-16-2007, 05:25 PM

1,763 posts, read 7,335,319 times
Just watch Slingblade -- it's a great movie and they hit pretty much every colloquialism I grew up with in Georgia (and Alabama, most of my family was from there). I can't get tired of that movie, or the Apostle, simply becuase they did such a good job with how the actors talk.

Old 05-16-2007, 08:49 PM

15 posts, read 132,663 times
If you're Southern, you'll know...

** The difference between a hissie fit and a conniption.
** Pretty much how many fish make up a mess.
** What general direction cattywumpus is.
** That "gimme sugar" don't mean pass the sugar.
** When "by and by" is.
** How to handle your "pot likker"
** The best gesture of solace for a neighbor who's got trouble is a plate of cold potato salad.
** The difference between "purt' near" and "a right far piece"
** The differences between a redneck, a good ol' boy, and trailer trash.
** Never to go snipe hunting twice.
** Never to assume that the other car with the flashing turn signal is actually going to make a turn.
** You should never loan your tools, pick-up, or gun to nobody! But nobody!

Old 05-16-2007, 08:50 PM

15 posts, read 132,663 times
Rednecks

A North Carolina redneck passed away and left his entire estate in trust for his beloved widow. However, she can't touch it until she turns 14.

Folks in Georgia now go to some movies in groups of 18 or more. They were told 17 and under are not admitted.

The minimum drinking age in Tennessee has been raised to 32. It seems they want to keep alcohol out of the high schools.

In Mississippi, reruns of "Hee Haw" are called documentaries.

How can you tell if a West Virginia redneck is married? There's dried tobacco spit on both sides of his pickup truck.

Tennessee has a new $3,000,000State Lottery. The winner gets $3 a year for a million years.

Recently, the Governor's Mansion in Little Rock burned down. In fact, it took out the wholetrailer park.

The best thing to ever come out of Arkansas is Interstate 40.

An Alabama State Trooper stopped a pickup truck. He asked the driver, "Got any ID?" The driver said, " 'Bout what?"

Old 05-16-2007, 10:36 PM

73 posts, read 434,179 times
Speaking of the term " Bless your heart " you need to find the CD of Comedian Henry Cho titled Whats that clickin Noise ? He is Korean and was raised up north but married a girl from my home town of Arab AL, he explains some of the terms we are talking about , specially "bless his heart" You'll laugh till you cry. I was born and raised here , but there's one that even cracks me up and its directional term , example: "wheres the tractor ? answer " Back out down yonder behind da barn". here's another , term used for when something isn't right , "That ain't corden to oil . or ain't gee hawing. How about this Question : How are you doing ? answer: Fair to middling. I actually caught myself yesterday when someone asked how I was getting along , I said I was living indoors and eaten regularly ,LOL I have no ideal where that came from , I had to just laugh at myself.

Old 05-16-2007, 10:51 PM

73 posts, read 434,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJP View Post
If you're Southern, you'll know...

** The difference between a hissie fit and a conniption.
** Pretty much how many fish make up a mess.
** What general direction cattywumpus is.
** That "gimme sugar" don't mean pass the sugar.
** When "by and by" is.
** How to handle your "pot likker"
** The best gesture of solace for a neighbor who's got trouble is a plate of cold potato salad.
** The difference between "purt' near" and "a right far piece"
** The differences between a redneck, a good ol' boy, and trailer trash.
** Never to go snipe hunting twice.
** Never to assume that the other car with the flashing turn signal is actually going to make a turn.
** You should never loan your tools, pick-up, or gun to nobody! But nobody!
Now that is funny !!!!! you have made my evening LOL !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama