Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 12:59 PM

7 posts, read 31,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Loafing.
Term is rarely heard now. More common is "hangin' out."
oh I see. LOL Thanks.
I'm gonna need a translation book for my 1st year I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2007, 01:59 PM

346 posts, read 1,779,304 times
I actually adopted "bunches" and love using this rather vague means of expressing a count be it money or apples.

Old 05-25-2007, 02:40 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,199,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twostep View Post
I actually adopted "bunches" and love using this rather vague means of expressing a count be it money or apples.
I didn't realized bunches was southern, I use it all the time. I probably have all sorts of stuff like that in my repritoir, LOL. So I guess I talk a little southern, but with a Cali accent, whatever that is...

Old 05-25-2007, 02:50 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,185,391 times
The Southern uses I am familiar with are "a tad" when someone means a little bit. In Louisiana they add a suffix sometimes to statements, like "You are crazy, yes." or "I'm going home, me." Yes, sometimes when a southern person does not hear the question they will say "Sir?" or "Ma'am?" but I just cringe when the response to something not heard is "Do what?"

I say 'y'all' all the time. My other favorite colloquialism is "That don't make me no never mind." You just have to know what it means -- literally it makes no sense.

Old 05-25-2007, 02:52 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times
"So I guess I talk a little southern, but with a Cali accent, whatever that is..."

Hmmm, maybe like this?

"Well, bless my grits, like, ya'll ain't from around he-ah, gnarly dude-ette? You know?"

Old 05-26-2007, 07:00 AM

346 posts, read 1,779,304 times
Harry! Y'all be niiiiice!

Old 05-26-2007, 10:12 AM

1,562 posts, read 2,795,897 times
Question "fair to middlin'"

What does "fair to middling" really mean?

Technically, a term used by cotton graders/brokers to describe the quality of fiber being marketed. Falls squarely in the mid-range of descriptive terms therefor, being better than "ordinary", but not as good as..."good".

Old 05-27-2007, 01:51 AM

469 posts, read 2,736,646 times
"Boy, pull them britches up!" was a fairly common yell around my aunt's house when my cousins were kids.

"Girl, you could worry the horns off a goddamned billygoat," was usually what my mama was yelling at me. That or she called me a "damn haint".

You can say anything you want about somebody so long as you stick "Bless her heart" onto the end of it. "Sally got a face like three miles of bad road, bless her heart." The same goes for dead people, but with "God rest his soul." You can be at the funeral, peering into the casket, and turn and say, "He didn't die soon enough, God rest his soul."

Me and my mama used to get into arguments over where "over yonder" was. "It's over yonder!" "In the kitchen?" "Over yonder!"

My uncle had this sage observation about some yapping dogs. "Ah, they just barking to feel their butts pump."

The "tudundadun" was a malady that involved being slightly under the weather, but mostly just lazy ass. "I can't go to work, I got the tudundadun."

Old 05-29-2007, 08:39 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,199,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
"So I guess I talk a little southern, but with a Cali accent, whatever that is..."

Hmmm, maybe like this?

"Well, bless my grits, like, ya'll ain't from around he-ah, gnarly dude-ette? You know?"
LMAO...Actually, it's more like I talk Californian, saying "you guys" instead of "ya'll" ect...I have the "no accent-accent" of Californians...but in the midst of that, I'll bust out with "fixin" or other little "southernisms".

And how could I have forgotten "Over Yonder!"

Old 05-29-2007, 01:06 PM

432 posts, read 1,879,274 times
MrJP, that is a keeper for sure.

I am originally from florida, and I say y'all a lot, although I have lived north for 25 years. What I find weird that that people laugh at me when I do that, or think I am putting them on.

When I lived in da great city a chicaga, I was told I hid inaaaaactsent. Never did figure out what they were saying.

My parents were originally from Pittsburgh. I always thought that y'all made better sense than "yinz"

I am so looking forward to moving back to the snowless land of crackers, lightning bugs, sweet tea, grits on the side, where kids belong to billygoats and my youngun's will get used to hearing sir and ma'am as they were meant to be used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama