Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 03:47 PM

1 posts, read 3,417 times

Advertisements

Well, I guess I proved my point!!!!!!

I wish your grandchildren the best, and I am sincerelly glad that they are doing well in school. But I know from experience how Arab works. There is an undertone there that people do not speak of. But boy do most people know what I am talking about, believe me.

It is in the schools, churches, community....

I graduated from AHS....My husband was born in Arab,,,,,My children went to school in Arab....until we relocated. I know...

I have lived all over the United States and NEVER seen anything like Arab ,,,,People that do get away, talk about the town and laugh at how crazy it feels to live there. It is a totally different atmosphere/hemisphere,,,,,lol

I wish you happiness in your little town.....But I think that as time will tell, you will find that I am right.

I will not post again.....I have said my peace.,,so hammer away at me..lol

char,,,,

Last edited by Keeper; 10-05-2007 at 05:15 PM.. Reason: Send DM. You were banned for having 2 ids - not your post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 05:18 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
I like it, you don't simple.. that is what the forum is all about.

Last edited by Keeper; 10-07-2007 at 06:08 AM.. Reason: removed insert

Old 10-08-2007, 07:53 PM

1 posts, read 3,382 times
Default Arab

I have to agree with the Char lady. I am sorry. But, i grew up there also. it was the most disturbing place that i have EVER lived. If you are a Senior, it is a good and safe place. Ppl that do not get out of there tend to have old views and will never adjust to new ones. It is pretty bad. Ppl that live there do not travel and see the world and its different cultures. Therefore, being prejudice is one of its setbacks. Who has this, who has that. The Gossip is atrocious. And, i do beleve it is such a bad place that the growth of Crystal meth is one of the highest.

it is not a very educated town even though Hunsville is only 30 min. away. If you want to live in Arab, i would truly consider the Huntsville area. i have friends that live there and they say it is a world of difference once you cross over that bridge.

BTW> the church ppl were always the worst.

Old 10-09-2007, 07:27 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
The one good thing now is there are a lot of new people moving to Arab, many work at the Arsenal. There are several new families with the military who just moved here a year ago.

I am sure you are right about some people not liking change and even being prejudice. I have met a few like that but they aren't the ones I chose as my friends. Huntsville is different and a nice place in most areas, but there are problems there just as there are here. I don't like everything they do here but then I intend to speak up if I feel there is an injustice, which I have already done in one case.

Regarding church ppl you are right some tend to be the worst as far as being hypocritics, but that is everywhere not just here. On the other hand, I have seen and had church people help others who were in need.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:58 PM

5 posts, read 30,683 times
There ya go! Need I comment anymore?

Old 03-02-2008, 09:22 PM

5 posts, read 30,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapp2it View Post
There ya go! Need I comment anymore?
Sorry! This was my comment to bravefan but it didnt seem to go in the right place and for all I know this one might not either! LOL And this is my point exactly. For a little while there I thought I was the ONLY one who felt this way. Let me tell a little story. We got a really nice new vehicle that is expensive. But before that we had a nice town and country but it was about 5 years old. I would pull up in front of the schools to pick up my kids and the people in front helping the kids get into the cars were all waving and saying hi to everyone else. When it was my turn they would turn around and ignore me and would not wave or say hi in response to my wave and hi. BUT, the day I pull up in our nice new vehicle things changed the other way. At first I really enjoyed it and was eating it up but then I came to realize real quick it was the vehicle not me! Outside of it I was still treated the same way but even today when I drive down the road I always, and I mean always get waved to by someone I don't know. But the problem is it's not me they are waving at its what I have and that is why they are waving. But that's okay!! I still really enjoy the waves! It makes my remaining days here easier to take.

Old 03-03-2008, 01:37 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rae rae View Post
There was a recent Klan rally on the courthouse steps in Athens. The Klan used to hand out pamphlets on the Athens square. I've lived in Bama for over 25 years, so I speak from experience. They don't have to wear sheets or burn crosses to be alive and well. Your statement is ignorant. Wake up!!!
Well I have lived in Alabama my entire life and I have NEVER met a klansman. I do know where several "black panther" movements are headquartered, does that mean I should warn all whites not to come to Alabama? Besides, even if someone were in the so-called "KKK", it wouldn't make any difference because they don't hold any political power like they did 50 years ago.

Old 03-03-2008, 02:33 PM

8 posts, read 25,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Well I have lived in Alabama my entire life and I have NEVER met a klansman. I do know where several "black panther" movements are headquartered, does that mean I should warn all whites not to come to Alabama? Besides, even if someone were in the so-called "KKK", it wouldn't make any difference because they don't hold any political power like they did 50 years ago.

The point was not the KKK, but that racism DOES exist in the Southeast. It also exists everywhere else, but it is quite blatant in Alabama. I have met several klansmen who were proud of their membership. They don't hold much political power, agreed. I have never met any black panthers, but would prefer them to klansmen. The point is that Alabama has a large black population, but they ARE treated differently. I hope Alabama becomes more tolerant, but I just haven't seen it. I would not encourage anyone to move to this state, regardless of their race, at least until the tides change. Sorry to sound bitter, but as a liberal in bama, it's hard to get past all the bigotry around here.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:08 AM

2 posts, read 6,421 times
Default OldArabian

I do not understand where you are coming from. Arab is a beautiful friendly town, I was born there, my whole family is still there, I moved away 14 years ago and I miss it everyday. I would love to be able to move back, but my kids have there lives in Huntsville, but I still visit every weekend. Arab may be a white town, but most of the people are very accepting of change. I wish that the people that keep trashing my hometown would stop. If you have lived here and did not like it you must not be a family, home oriented person. I loved Arab and I wish I was still there. As far as anyone is concerned they can have Huntsville or any big city, I like the small quite towns like Arab. I do not like the crowds and traffic that you have to deal with everyday commuting in Huntsville and I can imagine that it would be worse the bigger the town. I guess what I want to say is that some people are made for small towns and some for big ones. Decide which is your preference and find a way to live in the one that better fits your lifestyle.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:17 AM

2 posts, read 6,421 times
Default OldArabian

Snapp2it - you are wrong - the older people in Arab wave at everyone, I should know my entire family does it - they are not waving at the cars, they are waving at the people in the cars because they are that friendly - Moderator cut: .. I grew up in Arab and I was not in the popular class because I didn't want to be - my brother was - but I could still talk to any one in any of my classes - I did not feel like I was better than anyone else and I didn't believe that anyone was better than me - I could even talk to upper classmen and they did not make me feel like I didn't belong -

Last edited by Keeper; 04-18-2008 at 12:59 PM.. Reason: Maybe so, but let's keep the comments about the town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama