Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 11:35 PM

8 posts, read 17,192 times

Advertisements

My fiancee and I are considering different options for where we might want to start our lives together once we are married. I own a company in Indiana and she is a teacher in Kentucky... we both have easily relocatable jobs and would like to live someplace warmer.

We are trying to decide on a place in the south because we love the hospitality and food. We are considering Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, or maybe even Florida. We need a place that has a solid professional workforce, incredible views, and no snow! We are young and also would like to live someplace with an active and dynamic vibe. Price of living is also important and a place that leans politically right would be better. I also love the beach and water sports.

Any ideas/suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 12:40 AM

976 posts, read 2,684,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodguy07 View Post
My fiancee and I are considering different options for where we might want to start our lives together once we are married. I own a company in Indiana and she is a teacher in Kentucky... we both have easily relocatable jobs and would like to live someplace warmer.

We are trying to decide on a place in the south because we love the hospitality and food. We are considering Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, or maybe even Florida. We need a place that has a solid professional workforce, incredible views, and no snow! We are young and also would like to live someplace with an active and dynamic vibe. Price of living is also important and a place that leans politically right would be better. I also love the beach and water sports.

Any ideas/suggestions?
Mobile Alabama and along the gulf coast. There are some smaller cities along the Mississippi coast. Savannah or Brunswick Ga. The gulf coast has the best food IMO. Alabama has the best beaches outside Florida.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:53 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,202,996 times
Mobile or Spanish Fort area if you are looking for water sports. Mobile is an old southern city. Incredible views.. well if you can afford to live on the water you can have incredible views. Mardi Gras is always fun. It does get cold but no snow.

Mobile has just gotten a new call center and a steel plant. Many ppl are moving into the area.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:34 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,443,387 times
Huntsville has a "solid professional workforce, incredible views, and no snow": Army and NASA installations, Appalachian foothills (trails, vistas), and it might 'snow' once a year just enough to close the schools. HSV is on the Tennessee River with dams forming lakes - there are two lakes within 45 minutes of downtown HSV.

HSV has a pretty good school system plus several excellent private and church schools. The private and church schools are undergoing a growth spurt and may be hiring. For an active 'vibe': hiking, biking, caving, boating, water skiing, canoeing, volunteering, history, church, etc.

6 hours to the beach might be a drawback, but it's not too bad (take off at lunch and you're there for dinner).

Any of the States you mention lean politically right (even if they elect conservative Democrats). Parts of the larger cities will have liberal enclaves. The panhandle of Florida is more conservative than the rest of that State.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:44 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
It's kinda hard to have a "view" along the coast without living right on the beach, the terrain here is completely flat. Spanish Fort and Daphne are good suggestions, and less than an hour from Gulf Shores.

Another suggestion is Gulf Breeze or Navarre near Pensacola, although keep in mind that property taxes in FL are higher.

Old 08-31-2009, 01:00 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,289,448 times
I love living in Alabama, but do have your wife check into the likelihood of getting a teaching position here and the transferability of her degree and certificate. There has always been a strong bias toward grads of Alabama schools, and with the number of laid off teachers still looking for work, it might be difficult for her. That is unless she is a math or science teacher or perhaps special ed . . . or a football coach.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:29 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,975,515 times
In Alabama, I would suggest the Birmingham area for its beautiful mountain views. For a larger city, it does somewhat lean to the right a bit, (depending on what part of town), otherwise its probably the most liberal area of Alabama. Baldwin County, to the east of Mobile Bay is also a nice suburban area to relocate to, near Mobile and right near the beaches. Bay Minette on the northern end being about 30-40 minutes to the beach and Gulf Shores/Orange Beach being right there.

In Florida, if you want a more conservative area, the Panhandle is where its at. The Pensacola area is a great town near the beach. Its located in Escambia county, which is a border county of FL/AL...which would put it right next to Alabama's Baldwin county.

In Georgia, I would suggest the Georgia coast; Savannah or Brunswick, which was suggested earlier. I could go on and on about Savannah since I live here. Close to the beach. A great historic downtown with lots to do. About 2 hours north of the GA/FL border and 5 minutes from the GA/SC border, not too far from Hilton Head and Charleston.

As for Mississippi, eh, ask someone else who might know more! haha

Oh, and also, NONE of these areas experience very much snow. They do, but it is very much a rarity. Birmingham might expect a dusting to an inch once or twice a year. Mobile & Pensacola are on the opposite end of the spectrum experiencing snow maybe once every 5 years give or take. The Georgia coast is about on par with that as well. (and when I say snow, it may not necessarily mean accumulating snow)

Old 12-22-2009, 01:43 PM

4 posts, read 12,306 times
I have lived in Savannah and now I work in Brunswick. (I am actually from a small town 45 mins from Brunswick.) I have really loved living here.

Brunswick is really helped out by the federal law enforcement training center here. It is a large employer that brings a lot of people through and contributes significantly to the economy. We have a lot of historical destinations, second in GA (behind SAV). St. Simons and Jekyll Island are both 20 mins or so from Brunswick, so you can be close to the beach. We are about an hour from SAV and an hour from Jacksonville Fl.

Housing is moderately priced, good neighborhoods... you should be fairly content IMO.

Old 12-22-2009, 02:17 PM

5,003 posts, read 9,162,150 times
Reactionary : No snow in Huntsville ? I disagree I`ll say there isn`t any blizzards in Huntsville I lived there for 3 years and it snowed every winter. Huntsville is still a nice city though I prefer Alabama`s Gulfcoast---The greater Mobile metro area. Southernaturelover : You don`t have to live on the beach to have a good view. There are nighborhoods in Spanishfort,Daphne,Fairhope, and even Mobile`s westernshore that have great views of the bay. I was in a nighborhood in Daphne near the little condo tower that peaks over the trees and you can see the entire Mobile bay and downtown Mobile in that nighborhood and it looked even better at night. Also the nighborhood near the Fairhope Pier offers great views around the scenic route .

Old 12-22-2009, 04:44 PM

168 posts, read 518,459 times
That's Lake Forest in Daphne.

Sounds like the forum starter would fit in perfectly in either Huntsville or Mobile.
Look into Madison or Spanish Fort/ Daphne. They are conservative areas and highly educated communities. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama