Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 04:07 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,232,179 times

Advertisements

Most of the folks I was referring to came out of the Haight-Asbury district and were adherents to the Age of Aquarius, free-love, make love not war, school that made itself heard in San Francisco in the late 60's and early 70's. I wish they had followed their own agenda, but their paradigm seemed to be that war could only be waged on their turf, and on their terms. Violence done to military and police was considered to be an end that justified any means. Basically, they followed the adage of "Kill them all, and let God sort 'em out." Not to say that I was an ardent supporter of Tricky Dick, or that I thought the bean-counter McNamara was God incarnate. Personally, I thought Viet Nam was a mistake from the get-go, and a sorry waste of a generation. Kind of what my current feelings are toward Iraq and our present day leadership (or lack thereof) from the administration. True Republicans backed off from the war in Iraq after they axed Colin Powell.

JMO.

As far as Vandenberg is concerned, I was never stationed there, but I thought Santa Barbara was kind of a pretty town
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 02:18 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,489,231 times
Default the epicenter of bad legislation

My younger brother just moved his family out of Sacremento, the epicenter of bad legislation for the left coast. His seven-mile commute to work took 45 minutes to an hour in traffic, which is pretty much all the time these days. Other than the railroad museum and maybe their fish hatchery, the whole deal could fall off into the Pacific without any net loss to society at large. Of course, that pretty much goes for every big city in the state but hey, who's counting?

If I had limousine-level income, I could see living in Carmel or maybe Monterey, provided I never had to leave the neighborhood except by helicopter. Always wanted to see the redwoods and sequoias, hope they're still around when I get around to it.

Nothing wrong with California that going back 50 years or 20 million people couldn't fix. Maybe the next "big one" will straighten 'em out for a spell.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:59 AM

8 posts, read 45,424 times
nothing wrong with california at all as long as they get rid of all the californians. i dont worry about building a fence at the mexican border but they should put one around california to keep them from escapeing.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:08 PM

78 posts, read 278,209 times
[quote=JavaPhil;922902]... If I was being forced into California, I think I'd shoot myself first. A larger group of nutjobs and weirdos doesn't exist .../QUOTE]

With the biggest gun I own... multiple times... then reload and do it again!

Old 11-28-2007, 04:04 AM

11 posts, read 59,975 times
I'm just trying to figure out why anyone in their right mind would want to leave Alaska I've been begging, screaming, pleading, crying, whinning for the past two years to get my husband to move to Alaska. Right now I've gotten him to move from Kansas to Wisconsin....so at least I'm getting closer.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:14 AM

251 posts, read 706,912 times
Lived in California in the 80s while stationed there by the Army.
Fort Ord by Monterey, to be exact.
The base was closed and now many a serviceman is much the better for it.

Go to Washington- there really is no better choice between the two.
Well, unless you really want to be bondaged by a state that will likely pass laws to regulate the color of your underwear in the near future.

Old 11-28-2007, 11:41 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,444,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggerr888 View Post
I'm just trying to figure out why anyone in their right mind would want to leave Alaska I've been begging, screaming, pleading, crying, whinning for the past two years to get my husband to move to Alaska. Right now I've gotten him to move from Kansas to Wisconsin....so at least I'm getting closer.
Well you didn't hear it from here, but sounds like it is time to BOW (bough?)UP! Tell him on June 10th your moving to Alaska, and if he wants that one thing all men want then he better start packing!

Old 11-29-2007, 10:52 PM

103 posts, read 353,404 times
Being born in the Bay Area, raised in a small town on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington, and having lived for another decade in San Francisco and Berkeley, I find that I love being right here in Cordova, AK.

The problem with California is the people.

But since Washington is now filling up with Californians (my family migrated in mid-70's), it isn't any paradise either.

My vote is for Washington.

But you will find hypocritical idiots (left and right) in both places.

My suggestion:

move to (or stay in) Alaska

Old 11-29-2007, 11:02 PM

103 posts, read 353,404 times
I forgot to mention that you can find plenty of hypocritical jerks here in AK. But the percentage of truly good people here is very high, especially away from the larger cities.

Just my two cents . . .

Old 11-29-2007, 11:41 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,145,934 times
big city turn me loose and set me free somewhere in the middle of montana....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: