Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2010, 01:35 PM

1,055 posts, read 1,870,511 times

Advertisements

I just received an action alert from Food Democracy Now (.org)
It reads in part: Officials at the FDA were recently caught red-handed intentionally hiding a damning report from the public that provided conclusive evidence that genetically modified (GMO)salmon pose a serious threat to endangered Atlantic salmon if accidentally released into the wild.

These FDA officials knowingly witheld a vital 2003 report from two federal agencies that make it "illegal in the U.S." to grow GMO salmon in "open-water net pens", according to a press release for the Center for Food Safety.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
By failing to release this document prior to the September 19th public hearing on AquaBounty's GMO salmon, the FDA continues an alarming trend that this agency and the US government have engaged in since GMO foods first appeared in the 1990s.

I thought that since there has been so much discussion on CD about the GMO salmon fisheries industry as it relates to ALASKA, that this would be of interest to you. The report is rather lengthy and my typing isn't up to it. The point is that the FDA is going to be voting on this in TWO days. There is some good citations on opinions from the US Fish and Wildlife Service and from National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration regarding the GMO Salmon debate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 01:47 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,748,670 times
There aren't many Atlantic salmon left in the wild.

If they are "accidently" released into the wild, they pose a threat to all wild salmon...though it's my understanding that the frankenfish are to be raised inland, where the danger of that occuring accidently is pretty much next to nothing.

Nonetheless...I'm seriously wondering what the frankenfish developers and possible future farmers think they're market is going to be...I suspect the 2nd and 3rd world.

This novel made Amazon's worst book list...I haven't read it myself; maybe I'll pick one up for when I'm waiting in the welfare line:

Amazon.com: White Death (The Numa Files) (9780425195451): Clive Cussler, Paul Kemprecos: Books: Reviews, Prices & more

Quote:
An albino genius madman is intent on destroying the world's fish stocks by releasing killer mutant salmon into the wild.

Old 11-10-2010, 01:48 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,748,670 times
Oh, and...

DO NOT USE -- Tell the FDA: Stop the mutant salmon

Old 11-10-2010, 04:56 PM

3,881 posts, read 4,130,024 times
I don't trust the FDA one iota. Never have, never will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska