Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 09:53 PM

99 posts, read 220,267 times

Advertisements

Shipping your truck is going to be really expensive.

I don't know how long exactly your truck is, but the 2011 Ford F-150 is around 211 inches long. That translates to about 17.58' long or so. Everts Air Cargo charges 215 dollars per linear foot. That works out to about $3880. Shipping it out again will make the total shipping costs almost 8000 dollars, if you decide that you want to move and take your vehicle with you. That is a lot of money. Not to mention taking it to Seattle and boating up will already be expensive, the bills are going to get rather expensive just to travel to Bethel, not to mention living costs.

But hey, if you want to, I'm not going to tell you otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 09:57 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,694,870 times
acg515, thanks for posting that. Is there any additional charge for weight or is it all based on linear feet?

Old 11-15-2010, 11:33 PM

4 posts, read 5,907 times
Alot of really good info here, thanks guys. You have given me a ton to think about.

I was planning on bringing my car at the suggstion of one of the other nurses, as well as some of the negative comments on this site made to people who said they would rely on 4 wheeler for transport in bethel.

My hope was that bringing the truck with its bed full of my stuff would be cheaper than shipping my stuff and aquiring transport up there, I may be mistaken.

I have a few more calls to make to check prices and get some info.

Thanks Again

Old 11-15-2010, 11:51 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,137,109 times
Keep in mind that there is public transit here, they have two 19 passenger buses. There are many cabs here, too. I don't take them though. I do ride my bike (not as often as I should be) all year round and use my father's SUV most of the time. This is a fairly walkable town, but the wind is a bit cold for that in the winter.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:18 AM

5,706 posts, read 9,633,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Keep in mind that there is public transit here, they have two 19 passenger buses. There are many cabs here, too.
Bethel has more cabs per capita than any other place in the nation.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:51 PM

4 posts, read 5,907 times
I have family here in NJ i can leave my truck with, so i think i may fly to anchorage and have whatever belongings i want to bring shipped out at a later date.

I may opt to get the truck here via water in the spring, i understand that is a cheaper route. or if i find i dont miss it i can sell it or get rid of it in another way.

i don't like the idea of being witout a vehicle but as someone said, i can probably get a pretty good quad or snowmobile for the money i am saving. and cabs, buses and feet will handle the rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska