Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 04:20 AM

5 posts, read 6,500 times

Advertisements

Hi, my name is Mike. I'd like to be quick and to the point, but in an effort to avoid any misunderstandings about my intentions for work on the slope (I'd hate to seem like another one of those guys who's asking how to make a pocketful of cash to spend in the lower 48), I'll give a brief history...

No, I don't live in Alaska, but before you roll your eyes and sigh, please read on. My wife was born and raised in Anchorage, then went out of state for school. She has about a year and a half left for her masters degree, then we plan to move to AK to help take care of her dad who has Lou Gehrig's.

I've been working in commercial HVAC/Refrigeration for the last 4 years, but the economy down here, as you well know, is much worse than in Alaska. I was laid off for 14 months recently. During that time we dug a pretty deep financial hole. I've sent in applications a few times for jobs on the slope (some related to HVAC, most not though). I'm only 23 and am perfectly willing to learn a new skill. The job I have now isn't getting us out of this hole. The shop is very slow. I was planning to wait till we move in a year or two, but I'm considering moving up to Alaska now so that I can get a job and get more stable before my wife would join me in Alaska to start a family. I'm also hesitant to leave a job for one as unique as working in arctic conditions with a long rotating schedule. My wife and I both think that I'd like it, but I've never done anything like it, so I have no way to know for sure.

What are daily/weekly routines like for the various seasons? (I've done quite a lot of research, so vague descriptions won't likely give me any new information...) Day-to-day life information is harder to find than you'd think though.

Now that you have the basics, maybe someone will be willing to shed some light on how busy work is on the slope right now and what the best way for me to get a job is.

I get email newsletters pretty often about new job listings and apply to ones that I qualify for, but my WA residency is giving me troubles. Maybe the solution to my problem is just to move first, then re-apply, but maybe you have some good advice for me anyway. Thanks for reading...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 04:35 AM

4,061 posts, read 9,896,166 times
I've heard that the slope is not busy at all, and that it is very hard to get a job there unless you know someone. Oil production is down. I've also heard that the pay is not as high as it used to be. This is all speculation, though, because I don't personally know anyone who works on the slope.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:41 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,873,248 times
Your best bet might be to apply to Udelhoven. They just scored the construction/fabrication contract in Kuparuk, beating out ASRC.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:50 AM

4,989 posts, read 10,038,164 times
An interesting question considering I'm catching a plane up there in a few hours. I'll try to post some info later when I'm able to spend some time at a computer. Too busy packing right now...

Old 12-29-2010, 12:15 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,483,607 times
Don't limit yourself to the slope. While slope jobs are some of the best paying jobs you are likely to find in Alaska, there are lots HVAC positions available elsewhere in the state, including Anchorage. Finding work should not prove too difficult, however, finding a job that will pay you what you want may prove more challenging.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:42 PM

99 posts, read 220,539 times
From what I've heard, if you know someone you can get a slope job pretty easy - the work schedule for a couple of the guys I knew was 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off, but sometimes it was subject to change and such.

Old 12-30-2010, 03:01 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,873,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acg515 View Post
From what I've heard, if you know someone you can get a slope job pretty easy - the work schedule for a couple of the guys I knew was 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off, but sometimes it was subject to change and such.
If there is any amount of work this is/was true. But things are pretty darn slow right now. When drilling drops to little or nothing many other support services drop as well. There might be opportunities in the production side of things...but I'd imagine everyones holding tight onto their jobs right now with things the way they are.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:20 PM

5 posts, read 6,500 times
I appreciate the responses. I know a few people with connections to the slope who are trying to get my resume out there. Aside from that I'm still just applying whenever jobs pop up. I'll try Udelhoven.

I'll keep checking in. Please do update info as it changes. Thanks again. Especially to those of you who actually work up there. You are my eyes and ears for info in what I understand is a very small community of workers.

Be safe out there.

Old 01-20-2011, 03:12 AM

4,320 posts, read 4,797,145 times
I speak with a great deal of experience on the slope as an IBEW electrician.

I've worked the entire line from Prudhoe - Valdez & back several times on just about every pump station.

The best way to get your foot in the door up here is just get here; find a temp job until the one you want is available.

The Unions up here operate on a referral system; but non- union jobs are based on who you know; they can pull the actual strings and make things happen that would not other wise happen or be advertised.

Trying to find a job from where you are now is the wrong approach, your doing it backwards; Just my opinion. no offense. But if you can manage the financial part - get here settle in as quick as possible & something WILL happen. Eventually.

Lots & Lots of people from the east coast are (have been) moving up here; and its going to get a lot worse.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:38 AM

182 posts, read 479,054 times
Ok well, way back when I requested information on getting back up to the slope. Rance might remember that one.

I smashed my hand in 2006 up at Chickaloon by a big boulder and because I was needing physical therapy the company I worked for let me go. I wasn't employed with them long enough to use FMLA

So... I did everything I could, take names, get numbers, pay for extra certs, training in multiple fields to be a wide use hand. Talk about a long journey back. It wasn't until July of 2010 that I was able to get back up. They said the work was for only 6 weeks. But I snatched it, and took names. I worked SAFE, showing steady production without being the level of a showboat. I respected guys who had been up there, and DO NOT COMPLAIN! You can complain to yourself. It is the number 1 way to be let go. People complain, and the higher know that there are others... Like I was... ready to snatch it up and keep it.

Now I'm doing well and the 6 week was more of a we don't want to keep you if you don't work out kind of deal.

What has bothers me is just like you say, people coming up here from out of state and taking the money with them. I wish there were a tax incentive to hire Alaskan. Doesn't need to be huge, but by keeping the money in state would do so much better for us as a whole. One place up there has what is known as "The Mississippi Mafia" One guy hires all his friends and family from down there. Talk about a town getting stimulated by our stuff. I found out that I wasn't selected because he turned me down. You make contacts you can hear and find out things. He brought up a kid with zero experience, a total greenhorn of all trades up north to weld when he couldn't and had him learning up there. It was suppose to be a cert holding position. I was the most eligible Alaskan for it. Only 1 fellow from Houston qualified more but I should have been first. IF they chose the guy with 25 more years then me I wouldn't have been so mad. But there are plenty of people that will take a laborer job in state with more skills and tolerance for the weather.

I understand going to schools out of state. I did that as well.

It is annoying to see money that should remain in state be going out like that.

Not much we are able to do about it. But if there were a way to make sure that they kept local workers the benefits of it would outweigh the little costs to tip to the local worker. keeping our money in state is crucial towards the success. More money to buy homes here, or at least help people local cover mortgages. Simple economics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska