Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 01:16 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,016,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
I speak with a great deal of experience on the slope as an IBEW electrician.

I've worked the entire line from Prudhoe - Valdez & back several times on just about every pump station.

The best way to get your foot in the door up here is just get here; find a temp job until the one you want is available.

The Unions up here operate on a referral system; but non- union jobs are based on who you know; they can pull the actual strings and make things happen that would not other wise happen or be advertised.

Trying to find a job from where you are now is the wrong approach, your doing it backwards; Just my opinion. no offense. But if you can manage the financial part - get here settle in as quick as possible & something WILL happen. Eventually.
That is generally true for most jobs up here in AK, though slope jobs are an exception. As was pointed out earlier, many of the slope workers live out of state and fly back to the lower 48 when their rotations are up. Its no coincidence that so many of them are from the Gulf/Oil states (Texas, Louisianna, Oklahoma, etc) becuase so many of the Oil Field companies are headquartered down there. No doubt they are drawing on their large, established pool of trained workers to fill open positions.

Working on TAPS for Alyeska Pipeline is a little different though. While they do hire out of state for Salaried/Professional/Staff positions, many of the Technicians who work out on the line and at the Pump Stations generally come from in-state, since Alyeska doesn't provide relocation packages for those jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 04:02 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,781,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
That is generally true for most jobs up here in AK, though slope jobs are an exception. As was pointed out earlier, many of the slope workers live out of state and fly back to the lower 48 when their rotations are up. Its no coincidence that so many of them are from the Gulf/Oil states (Texas, Louisianna, Oklahoma, etc) becuase so many of the Oil Field companies are headquartered down there. No doubt they are drawing on their large, established pool of trained workers to fill open positions.

Working on TAPS for Alyeska Pipeline is a little different though. While they do hire out of state for Salaried/Professional/Staff positions, many of the Technicians who work out on the line and at the Pump Stations generally come from in-state, since Alyeska doesn't provide relocation packages for those jobs.

I realize TAPS is different; but I have extensive experience all over this state, working for many contractors. Union or Non-Union that is not the issue. The main issue is - GET HERE ASAP - THEN; (ANYONE) CAN find a decent job. It may not be what you want; but at least your here and the process has begun to make a 'better' life !!

Old 01-21-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
I realize TAPS is different; but I have extensive experience all over this state, working for many contractors. Union or Non-Union that is not the issue. The main issue is - GET HERE ASAP - THEN; (ANYONE) CAN find a decent job. It may not be what you want; but at least your here and the process has begun to make a 'better' life !!
Yes, I know. However the OP was asking specifically about slope jobs, not general employment.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:19 PM

5 posts, read 6,485 times
So then what's your opinion/advice on my particular situation, Moose Wisperer?

Old 01-26-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAHCIM View Post
So then what's your opinion/advice on my particular situation, Moose Wisperer?
You first need to determine what your actual goals are. If it is to live in Alaska, then I would follow Sity Data’s advice and look for any work up here, not just slope work. If however you are set on a slope job only, then you should pursue that avenue before making any moves.

Normally the common advice on this forum is not to make a move up here without at least some kind of lead on potential employment. However, in a previous life I was a Journeyman Electrician and HVAC technician as well, so I’m not giving you (or Sity Data) any big epiphany that HVAC/R experience is a highly marketable skill, and you would likely have less trouble finding employment up here than the average Joe that shows up with nothing more than the shirt on his back. I occasionally see job postings of various kinds for HVAC techs up here, so there is work available. Maybe not exactly what you are looking for right now, but once you are established up here you can start to build contacts in the Oilfield Services industry.

Of course this is just my opinion. Take it FWIW.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:17 PM

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I plan to continue to apply to jobs on the slope on the off chance that I get a job offer with the intention of broadening my outlook once we move to Alaska perminently, allthewhile continuing to pursue oilfield work. Wouldn't it be nice if it was easy and someone just saw this discussion and hired me. I won't hold my breath...

Thanks again for everyone's input. Best wishes.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:37 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,812,105 times
There is plenty of drilling work in Pennsylvania and North Dakota. I'm sure you wouldn't have any trouble finding something. And you could do like me and live in AK, and work in one of these other states.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:19 AM

Is there still demand for engineers on the slope? I'm thinking about finishing up a degree I started a few years ago..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska