Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 01:39 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times

Advertisements

Seafood and Fishing Jobs in Alaska (http://labor.state.ak.us/esd_alaska_jobs/seafood.htm - broken link)

Many stories have been told about people who, with no trouble whatsoever, landed a job as a crew member in Alaska's fishing industry on a highliner fishing boat and made tons of money. There are published materials for sale which boast of lucrative jobs in canneries and on fishing boats. The reality is, that for every success, there are many failures. A prospective crew member's chance for a profitable season will be enhanced by careful assessment of job openings and close attention to details regarding any job offer.

During harvest seasons, prospective crew members must walk the fishing docks to follow up each word of mouth lead to speak with the skipper personally. The travel and waiting for such an opportunity can be costly, both physically and monetarily. Crew members rarely leave good jobs, so only a small percentage of hopefuls find their berth in this manner.

ADVISORY: Some of the reasons crew members leave should carry a warning to job seekers to proceed with caution. Commercial fishing is rated as one of the most hazardous occupations in America. Reputable boat operators rarely have serious mishaps, nor do they lose good crew members through misunderstandings. It is a good idea to find out why the departed crew member left. A vessel with numerous crew vacancies during the harvest season warrants investigation before new crew accept a job on it.

Minimum wage laws do not apply to crew member jobs in the industry. However, certain federal and state laws concerning hiring of persons under the age of 18 do apply.

Wages are often based on a share or percentage of harvest earnings. Newcomer deckhand earnings range from 1.5% to 10% of the adjusted gross catch, depending on location and type of fishery and the skills the worker possesses. Some vessels offer a daily rate from $50 to $100 instead of a percentage of the catch. Recent market conditions have caused some share rates to decline.

CREW COSTS
A crew member can be expected to purchase specialized apparel such as:

wet weather gear $100 per set
rubber boots $40 to $70 per pair
gloves $2 to $12 per pair
wrist covers or sleeves $5 per set
sleeping bag $70 to $200
The fishing vessel owner/operator should provide other specialized gear required by the Coast Guard, such as a survival suit. Make sure the vessel has a good safety reputation.

Crew members supply their own commercial fishing licenses. In 2000, commercial fishing license fees are $60 for a resident and $125 for a non-resident. The Alaska Department of Fish and Game has a web site offering
crew license information and purchase:
Buy Licenses / Permits / Stamps: Division of Administrative Services - Alaska Department of Fish and Game
Many boats charge a share of the operating expenses to crew members. These expenses may include:

food
fuel
bait
ice
PAY: In addition to fishing, crew members are expected to perform work on their vessel and its associated gear without additional pay for these activities. The daily rate or a share or percentage of the catch is considered pay for all work performed. New crew members are advised to obtain a signed work agreement or contract that clearly explains the pay and other entitlements before going to work!
ACCOMMODATIONS: On board smaller vessels, the crew will eat, relax, and sleep with very little privacy. Toilet facilities on some vessels can be either non-existent or somewhat exposed to other crew members, while on others there is a shower and toilet for individual use. If privacy is important, a would-be crewmember should ask about these facilities.

SAFETY
Commercial fishing is one of the most dangerous occupations in the United States. The possibility of injury is ever present in every aspect of the work. The lack of medical assistance in the event of injury or illness increases the hazard. Getting to the nearest clinic or hospital is totally dependent on the weather and availability of special transportation. The wait can be hours, or even days. Before accepting an offer of work, applicants should ask about the safety equipment and procedures aboard their intended vessel. Once hired, crew members must obey all safety rules.

FISHING VESSELS
Fishing vessels range from small skiffs of 20 feet to large factory trawlers of 300 feet or longer. The vessels may fish anywhere from near shore to 200 miles at sea. The larger river systems of the state also support skiff fisheries. In 1999, approximately 25,060 crew licenses were issued to fish commercially in Alaska waters.

NEAR-SHORE VESSELS
During the summer months, vessels that work near shore and concentrate on the herring and salmon fisheries comprise the largest portion of the fleet. The majority of these are smaller vessels such as gill-netters, purse seiners and hand and power trollers averaging in size from 20 to 60 feet. Depending on the fishery and the configuration of the vessel, the number of crew members varies from one to six.

Most of these vessels are independently owned and operated. Obtaining employment on them is difficult. Replacement crew members are often family or are obtained through an industry association. Crew members are hired well before the season begins.

Floating processors, referred to as "floaters," also operate near shore. Floaters process seafood delivered from inshore fishers and usually rely on other motor vessels to move them from one location to another. Work on floaters may be paid by the hour rather than by crew share.

OFFSHORE VESSELS
A variety of larger vessels dominate the deeper offshore reaches of the coastal waters. The area or zone where fishing takes place is commonly referred to as the Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) or the Fisheries Conservation Zone (FCZ), which extends from three to 200 miles offshore. Vessel size ranges from about 50 to over 300 feet in length. Most operate year round, targeting bottom fish or whitefish (referring to the flesh color) and shellfish. The primary gear types are trawl, pot and long-line. Factory trawlers are capable of harvesting and processing simultaneously. Corporations usually own the large vessels. Most are based out of California, Oregon and Washington, while a small number are based in Alaska. Vessels of this type are normally fully crewed before they depart their home port for the offshore fishing grounds of Alaska. Many of the offshore companies have developed recruitment efforts to hire workers in Alaska.

For job seekers in Anchorage, the Anchorage Employment Service seafood office at 3301 Eagle Street is an excellent resource. Companies usually hire new workers as processors to work in the factory below deck and promote workers from these factory positions to work on deck as deckhands.

The size of the vessel has little bearing on the number of fishers or deck crew required for the various fisheries. For example, a trawler of 160 feet in length can operate efficiently with a crew complement of five, which is about the same needed for a 58-foot purse seiner in the near-shore fishery.

JOB OPPORTUNITIES
Employers have job opportunities for crew who:

are available to work the full season or contract period
are physically able to stand and work long hours and move heavy objects
get along well with other people in remote and often wet and cold conditions
are ready for hard work, are not chronic complainers, and have a positive attitude
follow directions and abide by safety rules
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 06:19 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,521,443 times
Good post and information...

You mean I can't just show up and get a $1000/per day job?

Old 01-19-2011, 06:26 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,877,714 times
Wow... what a great post.. I'm not looking for a job like this but really makes you stop and think how hard a job like this is. Thank you for the eye opener... as always

Old 01-19-2011, 06:32 PM

178 posts, read 250,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post

Thanks for dashing my hopes. I guess I will just have to keep plugging away at my day job.

Nikki

Old 01-19-2011, 07:01 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,738,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post

crapweasel Dakster...we miss out on the $1000/per day jobs, free land, life sustaining PFD, gold for the picking up everywhere.....free fishing/hunting...no taxes, no government....damn we were born 60 years to late I guess!

Old 01-19-2011, 10:21 PM

1,055 posts, read 1,869,721 times
Real nice post Met, glad they made it a sticky!

Old 01-19-2011, 10:32 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,023,483 times
I could go for some sticky fish right about now!

Old 01-20-2011, 06:44 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,521,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
crapweasel Dakster...we miss out on the $1000/per day jobs, free land, life sustaining PFD, gold for the picking up everywhere.....free fishing/hunting...no taxes, no government....damn we were born 60 years to late I guess!
Sarcasm Flag: On

Yep. sure seems that way.... Although you've now "dashed" my hopes.

I thought anyone can run a gold mine in Alaska and make it rich. I watched this show - Alaska Gold Rush and if those knuckleheads can do it, so can I.

Nikki - Sorry to have hit you with reality! Yes, we all have to keep plugging away at our "day job".

Old 01-21-2011, 03:02 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,786,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freezengirl View Post
Real nice post Met, glad they made it a sticky!
Looks like the sticky got unstuck !! Perhaps the reason was the - - insead of the :

Old 01-21-2011, 03:03 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
This thread should be a sticky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska