Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 12:20 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,915,172 times

Advertisements

That you surely will! Enjoy it, but don't forget "them newfangled chemical heat packs" in your go-bag! Oh, and keep some 15% Pepper Spray handy in case you come across one of my old research subject friends sauntering around the village....

http://www.firstpeople.us/pictures/b...-1600x1200.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 02:05 AM

12 posts, read 103,621 times
yeah, I want to stay far far away from any of your old research subjects! Seeing a polar bear through binoculars is A-OK for me. No need to try and get close or anything.

It's gonna be interesting living in the area. The general advice I've read seems to say that self defense from wildlife isn't a big concern around town. It seems to contradict my current experience that says you should be prepared to deal with any threatening wildlife when you're in a location that you might encounter it. In the past, when out taking day hikes, camping, or backpacking, being prepared has saved my life. But in my lower-48 experience, I've only had to deal with less threatening wildlife that typically isn't much of a threat to man. (black bears, wild hog, bobcats, coyote, and panthers. technically grizzlies and mountain lions as well, but I never ran across those) I've never actually tried to get into confrontations with them, but when the normal methods of remaining still, backing away, and trying to pose less of a threat don't work, a method to defend yourself is literally a lifesaver.

My concern is that just a mile outside barrow seems to practically be wilderness. And a polar bear doesn't seem like something to sneeze at. The advice I've read on this forum seems to lean towards not bringing a gun at all. But I was thinking of bringing either a reliable 12 gauge pump shotgun, and some specialty ammunition, or a flare gun. It seems like bringing the ammunition for either to barrow might be a problem though =/
12 gauge has the advantage of being able to fire a wider variety of ammo, like scarier dragons breath rounds, as well as lethal ammunition. The flare gun is smaller and easier to carry, though has more limited ammunition and takes longer to reload. I'll probably go with the flare gun, simply because I'll be more likely to have it nearby when I need it.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:19 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,651,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaumx View Post
My concern is that just a mile outside barrow seems to practically be wilderness.
Actually, three feet is far enough to qualify for a large portion of the housing areas in Barrow...
Quote:
And a polar bear doesn't seem like something to sneeze at. The advice I've read on this forum seems to lean towards not bringing a gun at all. But I was thinking of bringing either a reliable 12 gauge pump shotgun, and some specialty ammunition, or a flare gun. It seems like bringing the ammunition for either to barrow might be a problem though =/
Bring the 12 gauge if you want bear protection, but there's no need to bring ammunition as there's already a lot of what you'll need available here.

If you need the name of a gunsmith to ship the gun to, let me know.

The shotgun isn't something you need close to town, but once you get to cruising very far out of town on a 4-wheeler it's a pretty good idea to take something that makes a lot of noise. A couple blasts into the ground with a 12 gauge and a polar bear is trying to grow wings so it can fly. They do not like noise.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:12 AM

good to know, suppose I'll go with a shotgun then.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:12 AM

3,840 posts, read 4,511,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
Actually, three feet is far enough to qualify for a large portion of the housing areas in Barrow...Bring the 12 gauge if you want bear protection, but there's no need to bring ammunition as there's already a lot of what you'll need available here.

If you need the name of a gunsmith to ship the gun to, let me know.

The shotgun isn't something you need close to town, but once you get to cruising very far out of town on a 4-wheeler it's a pretty good idea to take something that makes a lot of noise. A couple blasts into the ground with a 12 gauge and a polar bear is trying to grow wings so it can fly. They do not like noise.
We need to go to the Point, Floyd! Many are the bears there, I have been told.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:29 AM

1,344 posts, read 1,742,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4theluvofgold View Post
I had a similar situation myself. It was steady -30's with dips lower a day here or there lowest was -47 when I was in Nuiqsut. I finally was ready to go and flew to Oregon to visit family. I got down there and it was 48 degrees. I was roasting. I even had the AC on.

I was passed by another driver driving the same exact car as I was. I was doing 65 he was doing much more. Well I got pulled over.

The officer looked at me like I was crazy and asked me to step out. Asked me if I had any drugs on my person. I told him no. He asked why do you have the AC on then? I told him that it was 48!
He asked for a breathalyser. I concurred cause denial is automatic guilty... stupid really. Big fat ZERO.

I told him where I worked. He didn't believe me saying "How could you get here from work that fast?"

I told him "It is called Flying" He didn't like that much.

Finally he ran my stuff. Had nothing. HE swore I had to be doing meth. So he had a dog come sniff the car took 2 hours to wait.

The officer with the K9 unit asked why he had to come. The first officer said that I was sweating and had the AC on. The K9 officer asked me what I do for a living. I told him I worked 12 weeks on the north slope.
He then asked me about security jobs up there cause he was considering retiring to Alaska and wanted to make money but enjoy more time for travel.

The first officer had zero clue what was going on. Then the K9 officer told him about how it gets so cold up there it feels warm when you first get back to regular temperatures. It was 88 degrees warmer! So if we had Zero degrees it would feel like 88 to us. He's been in -40's.

The other officer said the funniest thing ever! The K9 unit and I laughed so hard it hurt. How is Alaska so cold south of Arizona?

Whew... guess he looked at the maps wrong.

A bit off the subject, but you never should have refused consent to a search and asked the officer "Am I being detained, or am I free to go" as soon as he said he was going to bring the dogs.

A law enforcement officer can not detain you for more than enough time that it takes to run your info (courts have ruled up to 20 min) unless he places you under arrest (which requires PROBABLE CAUSE--a higher standard of proof that reasonable suspicion).

In your case, the detention was legal for 1 reason and 1 reason only---becuase you didn't ask if you were free to go. The courts would look at this as you volintarily staying.

Remember that if you asked if you were free to leave and refused consent to any search that if the officer goes ahead anyway and searches or detains you beyone the 20 min, that anything illegal found on you is inadmissible in court. If you have nothing to hide, they you can file a lawsuit against them for 4th amendment violations and 9 times out of 10 they will quickly settle with you out of courts.

Always remember these lines:

"Officer I do not consent to any searches"
"Officer, am I being detained or am I free to leave"

Any answer to the 2nd statement short of a definite yes, is a big fat NO!!

Old 02-04-2011, 08:41 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,915,172 times
I'm enjoying that new TV series, Alaska State Troopers. While they do have a big problem in the HUGE area they have to cover, they are a resourceful group of fellas. I am in awe and respect of them. But... as with any bunch of younger guys (I'm not referring to the older upper-management and experienced fellows...), when they have that sidearm and that flashy two-toned Crown Vic Ford, they can let it get to their heads just a bit. Seen it happen. Plus, they have to be very careful to not let their everyday experiences with, let's say, drunk as skunk locals stumbling into them, and providing them with a "vomit basting" as we used to say up in Churchill, Manitoba.... sigh.

Anyhow, if you are respectful to them, I've mostly seen them reacting in kind. And v. professionally.

As to polar bear medicine, it's always a problem, but the time-honored Rem. 870, the "Deerslayer" model (do they still market that one I wonder?) with a magazine extension tube and perhaps, when it's kinda dark for most of the day, one of those clipped-on LED flashlights, is the best bet. Maybe with a green laser? Don't forget the 15% streaming pepper spray, but do not expect it to work again if the bear returns a few moments later. They sometimes would do exactly that! In our lab tests, the bears seemed to be able to subsequently flush it off sufficiently, or perhaps they just get REALLY pissed off when they come back. Who knows, huh?

"Trying to make me a Taco with hot sauce, were you? Hmmm.... I think I'll make you into "seasoned filling material" now!"

Anyhow, in the '80s I regularly used AAI non-lethal nylon-slug shotgun rounds, but sadly they are no longer available. There are some rubber buckshot loads, as well as some solid one-piece rubber slugs (saw those two nights ago in a NatGeo special on Oregon bear poachers. Detestable types, BTW....). These rubber bullets can actually really penetrate and wound a bear if the animal is only, say, 15 - 25 feet away, but if you hit 'em in the butt at about 15+ yards minimum, they will remember the incident and (usually) stay away.

The flash-bang rounds are also generally very effective, and probably in use now in Barrow by the authorities. Finally, it's a lot easier to aim a long arm more accurately when a bear's trotting at you than ,say, a Ruger Super Blackhawk in your shaking, desperate hands, though that one can easily fit mo-bedda under your parka.

Stay well, and again; enjoy that fascinating landscape. I'm jealous.

Old 02-04-2011, 11:47 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,846,746 times
I love when it's "blue" outside in Barrow. Some days (on the webcam, of course), rather than the normal gray overcast, it will be this blue-tinted kind of scene, and if you look out over the Arctic Ocean, it is very difficult to discern the difference between the horizon and the sea. That is a fascinating weather condition to me. I wonder what it is that makes everything look blue like that... It's kind of an icy, almost glacier-like blue. I'll have to wait for one of those days when it's like that and post the picture so you guys will know exactly what I'm talking about. I check that camera several times every day anyway, so I'm sure it'll be blue outside one day soon.

EDIT: It's blue out right now!

I've seen it where it's much more exaggerated than that, where it's REALLY tough to discern where the horizon is, but this one shows what it is that I'm talking about, anyway.So, Barrow folks, what causes this? It's like everything, the air, the ocean, the ground, the buildings, they're all blue! It is SOOO cool to me, and I am very interested to know what it is that causes that to occur.

Last edited by ShipOfFools42; 02-04-2011 at 12:56 PM..

Old 02-04-2011, 05:55 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,784,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
I love when it's "blue" outside in Barrow. Some days (on the webcam, of course), rather than the normal gray overcast, it will be this blue-tinted kind of scene, and if you look out over the Arctic Ocean, it is very difficult to discern the difference between the horizon and the sea. That is a fascinating weather condition to me. I wonder what it is that makes everything look blue like that... It's kind of an icy, almost glacier-like blue. I'll have to wait for one of those days when it's like that and post the picture so you guys will know exactly what I'm talking about. I check that camera several times every day anyway, so I'm sure it'll be blue outside one day soon.

EDIT: It's blue out right now!

I've seen it where it's much more exaggerated than that, where it's REALLY tough to discern where the horizon is, but this one shows what it is that I'm talking about, anyway.So, Barrow folks, what causes this? It's like everything, the air, the ocean, the ground, the buildings, they're all blue! It is SOOO cool to me, and I am very interested to know what it is that causes that to occur.
I am NOT going to even attempt to explain technically why? I will just point out something very simple & elementary -and of course; OBVIOUS!!

The colors have to be "corrected to display grey in the shadow areas.

then, and only then - do you have an accurate representation of the original subject!

EDIT: Now is it too red @ + 4

To quote the greatest source there is: KODAK: It doesn't matter how an image is created, The fact is, that image will always be; one of six different colors that are wrong. Get rid of that one excessive color shift; and you now have an accurate representation of the original subject.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:43 PM

yep, it's not actually blue, sorry. (I wish it were so!)

sunlight has to travel through too much atmosphere to shine blue, let alone make everything look blue. Imagine a sunset/rise how the light is red. that's because a lot of the blue light is scattered out before it gets to you. (same thing makes the sky look blue) In Barrow's case, the sun is going to be near the horizon a lot more often this time of year, so a natural blue (and not camera problem) is unlikely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska