Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 09:55 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,129,609 times

Advertisements

Go up to the top of the mountain and take some pics, RDawg!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 10:31 PM

432 posts, read 760,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Go up to the top of the mountain and take some pics, RDawg!
Got the pics. Don't know how to post them. Pretty low tech here.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:59 AM

6,994 posts, read 12,736,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDawg View Post
Got the pics. Don't know how to post them. Pretty low tech here.
if no one DM'd you on how to post photo holler an I'll DM you how to!

Old 02-13-2011, 07:28 AM

212 posts, read 415,110 times
Hi All,
Just found this thread and wanted to try and jump in on it.
I'm in Florida, have been retired from the Navy for the past year (28+ years), am a certified Middle School Integrated Curriculum teacher here (English, Match, Science, Language Art), and have been unemployed for the past month.
Grew up in Louisiana, have previously lived in Spain, and have been around the world several times on aircraft carriers.
I taught 6-months last year at a high school and have been unable to find a teaching job since. The county I live in has anywhere between 100 and 500 applicants per position. And with my lack in any real in-class teaching time I've been SOL getting work.
I applied to the Juneau District last week for a Math/Science position. Still have not heard back from them, yet. I'll take just about anything I can get, so long as the pay and the experience will be worth it.
Any suggestions from all of you Alaska Veterans on how I should proceed.

Thanks

Old 02-13-2011, 09:55 AM

854 posts, read 1,978,218 times
your chances are definitely better if you apply in the bush. you'd probably experience culture shock, but you'll do well if you keep an open mind. definitely read the post in the thread i linked earlier on this page, she makes many great points.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:23 AM

Bortstc37,
I went back and looked at the thread you suggested and as surprising as it was to see I guess I'm not surprised at the animosity and mistrust of many of the Alaskan natives that seems to wind through most of the posts I read.

Fortunately I'm not a young person fresh out of college. I'm White, 47, and originally from the South. With roughly 29 years of military experience behind me, having to deal with adverse and negative situations is not something I like to have to be a part of, but can usually handle well when necessary. Also, having lived through the issues of racism and desegregation during the 60's and 70's I have to wonder just how difficult acclimating into a Bush community can be? I like to get out and become a part of the community I live in. But, how accepting are they going to be of me if I do? Are there any particular DO'S and DO NOT'S I need to be aware of when doing so? Also, do I have my safety to worry about as well? I understand the mistrust issue, and the resentment of someone who comes in with a "Do as I say, I don't care how you do it" attitude, but I'm not like that.

As I look to continue with this second career of mine, I'm looking for somewhere I can make a difference. I see myself as being a very inclusive and accommodating person of everyone, regardless of their background or ethnicity.

Teaching in the bush is something I had considered investigating when the idea of trying to teach up there was suggested to me. My Wife wasn't all that crazy about me going up there. But I think the allure of the Alaskan outdoors has her equally interested and itching to go. She and our 14-yr old Son would follow me up there after I can secure a job and get settled.

I know none of this is going to be easy. But I'm also certain that the rewards will be ten-fold if things work out.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:54 AM

854 posts, read 1,978,218 times
you should definitely talk to RDawg. he's coming from a much more similar situation to yours (than myself, at least) and it seems to be working just fine for him.

the main difference is that you'd be part of a very small minority. there could be safety issues, but there are so many factors involved that it would be impossible to say- every situation is different (send me a direct message if you want me to elaborate). there are plenty of ways to make a difference, and the kids are great. i don't think you'd have anything to worry about so long as you have the right approach (and it's clear that you know what not to do!).

Old 02-13-2011, 12:20 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,129,609 times
Remember to never try to change the way they do things up here, don't come off like "this is how we did it back home." No one likes that. Go with the flow and keep an open mind.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bortstc37 View Post
you should definitely talk to RDawg. he's coming from a much more similar situation to yours (than myself, at least) and it seems to be working just fine for him.

the main difference is that you'd be part of a very small minority. there could be safety issues, but there are so many factors involved that it would be impossible to say- every situation is different (send me a direct message if you want me to elaborate). there are plenty of ways to make a difference, and the kids are great. i don't think you'd have anything to worry about so long as you have the right approach (and it's clear that you know what not to do!).
One thing here is that racial tensions are always high, especially in the schools, and the majority of minority students EXPECT to be passed along and not held accountable for bad grades, lack of work/effort, etc. And of course if grades go south and students fail to promote then it's the teacher's fault. Never mind the parents/guardians who neglected to respond to teacher/school emails, letters home, phone calls to address issues before they became unmanageable!

What is the attitude/response from parents up there in respect to situations like this?

Old 02-13-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Remember to never try to change the way they do things up here, don't come off like "this is how we did it back home." No one likes that. Go with the flow and keep an open mind.
I plan to on both, if it ends up that I can get up there and get hired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska