Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 08:00 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,653,295 times

Advertisements

Hey Stiffy, here are some hints to look at on those two photographs!

Both are pretty much pictures of the light produced by what the subjects are doing. We can't really see what is being done in the top one, but from the type of sparks it looks like a grinder is being used. The bottom one appears to be a man using an arc welder. Both images are cropped close enough to virtually eliminate all surrounding detail, though the second one is also dark enough (because the light from the arc welder is so bright) to also make the entire background nearly black as well.

Both images are somewhat striking because they are in black and white with no color. Both (though the second one much more than the first) tend to de-emphasize the man doing the work and emphasize the light produced by the work. And in neither image can we determine what the object being worked on actually is.

The angle of the camera, head on but from above the subject, is also the same in both.

The differences are that one has the man's face showing, and it also centers the work rather than the man, while the second image centers the man. They both put the sparks off the one side and in both cases allowed the bright white of the sparks to be "blown out".

Now, the question is... of the photographers I've hinted might be responsible, which ones would likely have made that kind of a photograph? Or, why is it an expert like Stiffy can't tell?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 06:28 PM

It seems a few posts did not pass muster with the moderator.

In particular a post that said the two images I've posted and asked for a comparison of 1) are "inferior" and 2) could not possibly be by Ansel Adams.

But in fact the second image was taken by Ansel Adams in 1943, at the Manzanar War Relocation Center (where Japanese-Americans were interred during WWII). In 1965 Adams donated 242 negatives and 209 prints to the Library of Congress; the image shown is a scan of the print (rather than of the negative, because the print shows the distinctive touch of "post processing" by Ansel Adams in the darkroom). The print was published in "Born Free and Equal" in 1944.

You can view both the print and the negative side by side at this URL:

American Memory from the Library of Congress))

It is interesting too, because the original negative, absent the manipulation of Adams in the darkroom, is significantly more similar to the other picture that I posted. The other picture is my work, and has been (in slightly different form) on my web page for quite some time:

Ilisagvik College Electric Motor Car Class Barrow Alaska

The image is of John Howlett, who teaches industrial arts at Ilisagvik College, as he uses a grinder on the mounting bracket of an electric motor that was installed to convert a car to be a battery powered electric car.

Clearly those here who claim they understand photography well enough to identify photographers by their style simply do not actually have the talent and experience necessary to actually accomplish that. My own ability to do that is only on a very limited scale and applies only to three or four photographers, and even then is extremely hit or miss.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:00 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,785,487 times
Your unbiased explanations; of twisted words is understood perfectly well.. by you and you alone!!

Old 03-04-2011, 07:36 PM

Another picture to analyze for style:

Is it magic, or just a stiff...

That expression, with the little rat's eyes popping out, is priceless. It makes setting such traps worth the effort.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:31 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,691,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
Another picture to analyze for style:

Is it magic, or just a stiff...

That expression, with the little rat's eyes popping out, is priceless. It makes setting such traps worth the effort.
Yes, it does! And you always seem to be the sucker that takes the bait and ends up with the bug eyed look cause no one will play your stupid cat and mouse games. Someday you'll get tired of always being the mouse.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:55 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,785,487 times
This is a fascinating discussion your having with your-self FLOYD !!!

THE GREAT ADVENTURE CONTINUES !!

Old 03-04-2011, 11:48 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,129,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
This is a fascinating discussion your having with your-self FLOYD !!!

THE GREAT ADVENTURE CONTINUES !!
Yawn...

Old 03-05-2011, 01:04 AM

3,721 posts, read 7,826,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Yawn...
Wouldn't let me rep you, said I needed to spread the love. So consider this an unofficial rep!

Old 03-05-2011, 01:06 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,847,561 times
I know, I hate that pesky system. Not everyone deserves rep points ya know, and some people deserve lots. Silly little system it is, really.

Old 03-05-2011, 01:18 AM

3,840 posts, read 4,511,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
I know, I hate that pesky system. Not everyone deserves rep points ya know, and some people deserve lots. Silly little system it is, really.
I deserve heaps of rep. **nods**
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska