Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2011, 06:22 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,961,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
But why do you have them?
In case one of the 2 nukes near my town springs a leak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 06:27 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,740,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
In case one of the 2 nukes near my town springs a leak.
if they are that close to you and unless it is a very very small leak the pills might do you some good....if major like in NJ....bend over and kiss your butt goodbye 'cuz the pills aren't gonna do you any good...we have one here that is built on an earthquake fault...they have decommissioned the other one but the lagoon lake still has weird fish morphs, three legged frogs and such...doesn't need to be a "leak" per say. MOVE

Old 03-17-2011, 06:30 PM

Really can't afford to move right at the moment.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:17 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,253,644 times
I understand your concern Chris, but... as Blue says, there really isn't any good that can come out of taking them. What happens, happens. Enjoy the ride.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:22 PM

Thanks Ed. But one of my hobbies is preparing for different scenarios that may or may not ever happen. So they'll get put up with the other survival gear.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:25 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,748,670 times
Bark, if you eat a lot of things in the cabbage family (kale, brocilli, etc.) it might help your body protect itself from the effects of radiation.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:37 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,024,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Actually I've been dealing with a good company over the years & they have fair pricing. I think my decision will either be a Gamma Scout or a Terra P. Do you have any views about either of them?
Bark,

No, I don't have any insight into either brand. However, if you are getting these for accident preparedness, then check to see if any of them can function as a personal dosimeter. In an accident you wouldn't necessarily be worried about general radiation levels (though I suppose it's nice to know if you understand all the math), but you're going to be more concerned with your cummulative radiation dose.

And if you do live near a plant, I don't see any harm in keeping a supply of KI. Though if it ever got so bad that you actually needed them, hopefully you would have made like a tree and got the f**k out long before!

However if you are really into radiological preparedness, I would suggest a good respirator with replaceable charcoal cartridges. That will stop all of the particulates including Iodine.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:00 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,253,644 times
I lived near Big Rock Power Plant, now decommissioned, for many years. It was, at the time, the oldest, longest, continually running nuke plant in the US. The sirens, warnings, all that fun stuff, would go off every so often because of waterspouts just off shore on Lake Michigan. No one ever seemed to bat an eye back then, until one day. On this one day a B-52 crashed just off shore in the Lake. That one incident changed everything. One, they no longer did training runs in that area, and two, the plant closed in the next few years.

I remember taking a tourer through the plant as a kid in school, this was back around 1972. Cool place it was.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:27 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,183,899 times
Here in Hawaii I was looking at maybe purchasing the K1 or 131 sold out of course. In looking into it one it isn't good to take unless you are in radiation. And also as Met says the Broc/Kale blueberries etc but here my decision is seaweed and sea salt if needed. Without the potasuim. Enough from each of those with maybe a banana will be much healthy alternative. Sorry didn't read all the thread but that is my opinion as in as much or less if they are correct pathway.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
Bark,

No, I don't have any insight into either brand. However, if you are getting these for accident preparedness, then check to see if any of them can function as a personal dosimeter. In an accident you wouldn't necessarily be worried about general radiation levels (though I suppose it's nice to know if you understand all the math), but you're going to be more concerned with your cummulative radiation dose.

And if you do live near a plant, I don't see any harm in keeping a supply of KI. Though if it ever got so bad that you actually needed them, hopefully you would have made like a tree and got the f**k out long before!

However if you are really into radiological preparedness, I would suggest a good respirator with replaceable charcoal cartridges. That will stop all of the particulates including Iodine.
Great advice Moose, thanks! I'm on another board where there's a guy trying to decide which radiological suit compliments his eyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska