Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2011, 08:02 PM

437 posts, read 815,476 times

Advertisements

Yup. Heartless. Wanna volunteer yourself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
At the risk of sounding horribly heartless, it sounds like someone might need to pull a Spock here. Can't they hunt up a few terminally ill people who know how to operate a fire hose and want to go out as heroes or something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 08:04 PM

437 posts, read 815,476 times
It's freaking heartbreaking. I've people there. There are no words to describe the heartache I feel. I offered my home to an artist I know there. She has a passport that is current I haven't heard from her for 6 hours now. I don't know what is happening and I am sick with dread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Japanese now are attached lead plates to the bottom of the helicopters so that they can manually spray (fire hoses) the site from the air....= it's toast folks.

it's like watching a godzilla movie I swear..

Old 03-16-2011, 08:05 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,018,605 times
Quote:
NHK World reports that Japanese authorities and the NRC Chairman could not be farther apart in terms of what they say is going on. Anyone who has been in the army knows exactly what that means.
Yep. Again, I'm not one usually prone to conspiracies, but the Japanese have a long history of being less than forthcoming with information about their Nukes. A few years ago, the Japanese had an incident at one of their plants (I don't remember if it was Fukushima) where they briefly uncovered some spent fuel rods. Workers in the area reported seeing BLUE flashes (hence my post above). It was later determined that these flashes were in fact Cerenkov Radiation caused by the high energy atomic particles decelerating within the aqueous humors of their eyeballs!

Bet you didn't hear that on the news either!

Old 03-16-2011, 08:07 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,018,605 times
Quote:
it's like watching a godzilla movie I swear..
Sadly Ironic in that Godzilla was supposedly created by a Nuclear Accident.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:07 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,093,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akravenlady View Post
It's freaking heartbreaking. I've people there. There are no words to describe the heartache I feel. I offered my home to an artist I know there. She has a passport that is current I haven't heard from her for 6 hours now. I don't know what is happening and I am sick with dread.
You may want to contact the US State Department and request assistance in the morning. They have emergency numbers....will take some work.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
Yep. Again, I'm not one usually prone to conspiracies, but the Japanese have a long history of being less than forthcoming with information about their Nukes. A few years ago, the Japanese had an incident at one of their plants (I don't remember if it was Fukushima) where they briefly uncovered some spent fuel rods. Workers in the area reported seeing BLUE flashes (hence my post above). It was later determined that these flashes were in fact Cerenkov Radiation caused by the high energy atomic particles decelerating within the aqueous humors of their eyeballs!

Bet you didn't hear that on the news either!
good god. heaven help them.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:17 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,875,072 times
I do not worry about our exposure but keep thinking of all the people in Japan. Not only losing neighbors, loved ones, homes and so much it is hard to include here but now having to be exposed to nuclear fallout... I've been trying to get things going at work to at least collect money and whatever we can collect to help somehow... I just feel so helpless and whatever we do doesn't seem like enough but I will certainly try to do something... thank you Moose whisperer.. you've been so helpful in your explanation... my heart and prayers to those in Japan and their friends here like you akravenlady...

Old 03-16-2011, 08:25 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,627,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturesdreams View Post
I do not worry about our exposure but keep thinking of all the people in Japan.
I'm with you on that one.

The biggest concern for the US is not radiation, but a decision by Japan to sell a good portion of the $900 billion in US debt they own as a result of this triple tragedy.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:30 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,875,072 times
this is an interesting link "before and after" a few pictures of the reactors...
ABC News - Japan Earthquake: before and after

Old 03-16-2011, 08:30 PM

Untold numbers of organizations both here worldwide and within Japan are mobilized. The people will not be alone in their profound grief....and loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska