Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 12:53 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,848,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
How could you possibly know that since you've never been there? Visually it's one of the most beautiful places in the entire State of Alaska. I'd still live down there if I could afford it.
I've never been to Arizona and I know I don't want to live there. Never been to Egypt, wouldn't want to live there. Sure it's beautiful in SE (I know the pictures don't do justice, but even the pictures are beautiful), but it's not what I want. I explained why, too. No roads down there, too much water and little islands, and most of all, the climate. I have no interest in living somewhere that is a rainforest, as I don't like humidity. I'd say humidity and geography are the main reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 03:14 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,804,155 times
The southeast scoreboard. The population drop is about what I expected.

Redistricting data paints dismal picture for Southeast - Juneau Empire

Like Met said, it's about jobs, and most of the ones here don't pay enough to live on. And I don't see it changing overnight.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:04 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
I've never been to Arizona and I know I don't want to live there. Never been to Egypt, wouldn't want to live there. Sure it's beautiful in SE (I know the pictures don't do justice, but even the pictures are beautiful), but it's not what I want. I explained why, too. No roads down there, too much water and little islands, and most of all, the climate. I have no interest in living somewhere that is a rainforest, as I don't like humidity. I'd say humidity and geography are the main reasons.
If you don't care for sideways rain assaulting you most of the time, you're right to want to avoid SE. Personally I refuse to spend the winters there anymore, and sometimes the summers aren't much better. This past one was one of those.

But...most of the FS jobs are in the Tongass; the ones in other parts of the state are usually taken by those who've done their time in SE and want to get out.

There are some people who love it in SE and would never live anywhere else, but not many, which is just as well...some places just aren't meant to sustain large amounts of humans, and the Tongass is one of them. And that's probably the truly beautiful thing about it.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:27 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,848,105 times
So what kind of snow does SE get? I don't know much about the winter conditions, but I have heard that parts of SE get rain in winter, which to me is completely unfathomable if I'm going to be living that far north. I hate it when it rains here in the winter, because all I can think about is how it COULD be snowing really hard.

And I'm not limiting myself to just the Forest Service. Upon completion of my degree, I will be qualified to do a very wide variety of outdoor-type jobs, and the interior has had quite a few openings in the past month or so. I need to spend a few weeks in the interior in winter before I make any sort of decision to move there, but there's a lot about it that appeals to me. Even in western AK, there are jobs that I will be well-qualified for, but they are a bit harder to find. Still, any sort of job that deals with wildlife, forests, ecology, field biology, GIS, mapping, streams and rivers, wetlands, and the list goes on, I will be qualified for. Hell, I think it would be awesome to conduct research in the Yukon-Kuskokwim Delta area. Talk about a huge change from North Carolina! (and that's what I'm looking for, a change)

Old 03-17-2011, 07:36 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
So what kind of snow does SE get? I don't know much about the winter conditions, but I have heard that parts of SE get rain in winter, which to me is completely unfathomable if I'm going to be living that far north. I hate it when it rains here in the winter, because all I can think about is how it COULD be snowing really hard.
It varies every year. Southern SE, especially, is not the kind of place where you buy a snow machine unless you're prepared to not be able to use it some winters. Still, they have skiing in Juneau, and Haines gets snow.

A couple of winters ago southern had a snowy, icy winter, which was great because it kept the rain down and we actually saw the sun sometimes. The year before that was a horrific nightmare of constant assaults of rain and gloom where blue sky literally was not seen for months. You just never know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska