Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 06:29 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,889,436 times

Advertisements

Just learned this-

Juneau has a homeschooling program put on by the school district, where they give you money (that would have gone to your public school had your child gone there), loan you a computer, and offer programs and test proctoring. Not sure it's online, per se, but it seems to be a good alternative to public schools, if that's what you're looking for.
Here's their link:
http://jcs.jsd.k12.ak.us/

Xa'at
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 10:21 AM

46 posts, read 158,741 times
alaska like any place is a place where you have to have spent time before committing to moving.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:10 PM

15 posts, read 51,272 times
Yeah, the dividend is $1500 a month. lol

Forgive me if I come off rude, but I absolutely hate it when people look at the dividend as a reason- or part of a reason- or ANY part of the decision in moving to Alaska.

This year the dividend might be as high as $1500 but it can go very low as well. It could be taken from us at any time to... depends on who gets hold of the pot!

In my area we pay almost $5.50 for a gallon of milk. We pay HUGE shipping rates on supplies being shipped in. There are also strict rules on where one snow mobiles or ATV's.

Think twice- you could hate it here and even the free $800-$1,500 per year won't help you like it if that's the case.

Ugh.... the dividend thing urks me

Old 08-19-2007, 12:30 AM

11 posts, read 104,778 times
Zeeky is right, there are too many people that hear about the Permenant Fund and think they can live on it, they can't so they have to get welfare until they can get a job.

The cost of living here is great, where I live gas is $5 per gal, heating fuel is $8 per gal. People need to ask permission to ride their ride their snow machines and ATV's, here you may have to ask the Trible Counsel if you can ride on their land, especially if you are not a native.

We don't HAVE to live in Alaska, we GET to live in Alaska . Some don't have the conviences, like resturants, malls and movies theaters, but we knew that and made that choice BEFORE we moved.

God bless you on your move.

Deb

Old 08-21-2007, 07:56 AM

2 posts, read 7,672 times
Thanks for your info I didn't get to much back on this. so Fairbanks in the best area to move too we get maybe -15 to 20 so -55 is really cold does it still dark longer too I just want to know as much you can tell me thanks

PAFAmily 6

Old 08-21-2007, 10:54 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,443,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAFamily6 View Post
Thanks for your info I didn't get to much back on this. so Fairbanks in the best area to move too we get maybe -15 to 20 so -55 is really cold does it still dark longer too I just want to know as much you can tell me thanks

PAFAmily 6
Alaska is a REALLY REALLY big place, so unless you give us more of an idea of what your looking for it is hard for us to share what we know.

I will attempt to describe Fairbanks area for you. First of all the Tempeature extremes! Best case is the high 80s and low 90s in mid June and parts of July, worst case is -45 to -60 in the outlying areas and low areas. These are the outer limits of tempeatures. Normally in the winter it varies from around 20 above to 20 below. Now to put this in perspective, I have seen it 34 above and -34 on Halloween! This summer was one of the nicest I can remember, just last weekend it was 80 above with clear skys and we were wakeboarding and other watersports. Now lets talk about Fall and winter, Fall is just starting, the leaves are just starting to think about turning, its 9pm and the sun is just going down, with lots of daylight left. I was up at 5:30 and was able to watch the sunrise. This time of year we get black dark as there is no snow to reflect the light. During the dead of winter, you can still see as any available light is reflected on the snow. Try to imagine the time just defore dawn when the sky is getting light but the sun hasn't come up yet. That is the closest I can describe evenings and early mornings. Winter solstice on December 21st we have about 3 hours and 45 minutes of possible daylight. This really means the amount of time we may actually see the sun. The sky is lighter over a longer period of time.
The trick to living in this enviroment is to as others have said, get outside or at the very minimum, get 15 minutes of daylight each day. Even if that means standing in the window and letting the light hit your face. Some would think, why would anyone put up with this lifestyle, well I live for the summers, and being 15 minutes from the wilderness.

Old 08-29-2007, 01:09 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,458,697 times
Default Dividend Checks

First of all, the Dividend Checks for 2006 was $1,106.96. Secondly, you must be an Alaskan resident for 1 year before you can apply. Since it requires residency of 1 year to be an Alaskan citizen, that means you must live in Alaska for 2 years before you become eligible to receive your first Dividend Check.

The amount of the Dividend Checks is announced mid- to late-September every year. You can find more information at: State of Alaska - Permanent Fund Dividend Division

Old 05-14-2011, 05:37 PM

9 posts, read 49,346 times
hi i'm Bailey brooks and i need to find out why did people want to move to Alaska when it became a state. please give me a serious answer. Also answer fast

Old 05-14-2011, 05:39 PM

9 posts, read 49,346 times
I'm also looking for a true answer not why you think they moved there but a serious answer. please i need the answer fast >

Old 05-14-2011, 05:54 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,886,698 times
Are you entering a contest? I would guess for economic opportunity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska