Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 09:32 PM

2 posts, read 6,296 times

Advertisements

Hi Ketchikan (hopefully). we (my husband and our two children) are considering a move from fairbanks to Ketchikan (where i have lived for 18 years). i know it rains a lot and that there are hourds of tourists, but i am leaning towards thinking i would love it. i would really appreciate an insiders view of whether it is a good place to live with young children. we would budget to afford a boat so that we could explore and participate in other water based opportunites and recreation. My children love to swim and play soccer (it is unfortunate that Ketchikan doesn't have an ice hockey program though). I am familiar with small fishing communities having lived in Dillingham for two years and having fished there for 8 - but i also know that all communities have their own cultures, positive attributes as well as negative. If anyone could just throw information at us, we certainly would very much appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 01:44 PM

125 posts, read 331,699 times
I'd like to move there too. For AK it's really temperate albeit I understand there's not a lot of work.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:02 PM

121 posts, read 342,237 times
I'd rather live in Petersburg or Sitka myself, but probably even less jobs there. One interesting place is Skagway, only 27 inches of rain a year, not as big as Ketchikan though. January averages 27/17 which isn't bad at all. AND you're not as isolated because you can drive there!

Old 02-03-2011, 01:26 PM

1 posts, read 3,174 times
Just to say, you can drive to Skagway but it's a really,`really long drive from anywhere! And it is much more "summer centric" than Ketchikan, in terms of the job market. While Ketchikan doesn't have the range of jobs that Anchorage or Fairbanks does, there are always jobs available for those that want to work! And they aren't all summer jobs either.

Old 02-04-2011, 03:49 PM

187 posts, read 348,514 times
Ketchikan Parks & Rec has some EXCELLENT programs. I'd move there in a heartbeat (we ended up in Anchorage instead, this was just where a job was for my husband...). True there is no ice rink but there is a swimming pool and their rec center is just awesome. It's not really a "small community" as far as off-the-road-system places go, isn't it something like 14K people? They have a wal mart, multiple groceries... it's picturesque as all get out and lots of outdoor rec opportunities. My parents live there and love it.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:39 AM

2 posts, read 6,296 times
Default thanks for replying creeboo

thank you for the information about ketchikan parks & rec, etc. it sounds like you wouldn't have any hesitations about moving your children there? do you know anything about the quality of the schools? i really appreciate any insight you or others who either live there or have spent time there may have.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:40 PM

my folks live right by Fawn Mtn elementary. It seems like a nice, well equipped school. There is a tax base in Ketchikan, I can say that much. I was in the public high school for a performance and it seemed very clean and well cared for. I can't speak much for academics as my kids are not in school there. If we lived in KTN, we'd go through the Catholic school system which had excellent ratings, but that may or may not be something you're interested in.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:41 PM

And me personally? I'd have no reservations about moving there. None at all.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:10 PM

4 posts, read 6,672 times
I'm happy to see a recent post regarding Ketchikan. Most threads on here are pretty old. Anyhow, my husband and I are looking to move there in August from Vegas. Huge change, I know. We both want to move our girls out of here and into a town with people that, for the most part, have morals. I was curious about the schools also. So I searched up some generalized testing info and found this:

http://www.kgbsd.org/home/sites/default/files/report_card_to_the_public_2010.pdf (broken link)

If you check out the school district site there is individual links to each school where you can see the teachers and their credentials. From what I can tell, the town is pretty family oriented.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:26 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,691,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tessiewessie View Post
into a town with people that, for the most part, have morals. From what I can tell, the town is pretty family oriented.
You might be getting the wrong idea about Ketchikan. They do have a problem with unplanned teen pregnancies at the high school. And getting my children through Schoenbar Middle School was hell. Seems like the kids run that place instead of the teachers.

Ketchikan is no moral mecca. It's just another fishing town with a drinking problem. Even with that it's still a great place to raise a family.

http://www.city.ketchikan.ak.us/depa...Police/pr.html

Last edited by stiffnecked; 02-18-2011 at 11:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska