Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2007, 04:29 PM

6 posts, read 24,701 times

Advertisements

Can anyone advise me on the practicality of having horses in or around Ketchikan?
I currently have four and would want to move them with me.
Any local facilities? Riding areas?
Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 12:24 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,487,518 times
Default seahorses

Horses anywhere in Alaska are a rarity. The only ones I've heard of outside of the pioneer days are in the Anchorage/Mat-Su area, the "farming country" of Alaska. Even there I believe they have to import hay for the wintertime, you're not gonna be getting in four crops of alfalfa that far north! In Ketchikan I'd wager it never drys out enough to make hay at all, let alone put away enough for the whole, very long, winter.

There are a couple pair of draft horses that pull the carriages for tourists in downtown Anchorage, and I'm sure that there are some private owners elsewhere since I've seen a couple from the road around Chugiak and Palmer, but for the most part they're an expensive "pet" thats hard to feed in the winter.

Alaska is not really horse country, it's more like "animals that eat horses" country for the most part.

Old 08-01-2007, 12:53 AM

15 posts, read 51,255 times
I'm not sure if there are many horses in Ketchikan- I don't remember seeing more than a few? I know Juneau has quite a few. They have the Fairweather Equestrian Center over near Industrial Blvd. Horses are a big thing there for a lot of folks.

I just can't think of many in Ketchikan though?

Old 08-01-2007, 09:47 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
The rainfall in Ketchikan is so great that it leaches the nutrients out of the soil, which makes it an unlikely place for grazing animals, and there is no local source for hay.

Old 08-01-2007, 10:28 AM

3,401 posts, read 13,370,836 times
According to Horse Training in Alaska (http://www.alaskayellowpages.com/search.byCategoryID/1400.html - broken link) ...they have horse boarding/training/riding/lessons/grooming/etc in Wasilla, Anchorage, North Pole, Eagle River (but that's kind of still Anchorage) and Fairbanks. They have a horse back riding tour out of Chinook Horse Stables in Skagaway (sp?), and in Juneau. (who knew!)

The only place I found promising is..... Horseback Riding in Alaska I would strongly reccomend visiting their site. They have links galore, and phone numbers to where you can contact these people to specifically set up plans in preparation for bringing your animals. It seems one of the quieter forms of tourism is scenic horseback riding through the wilderness.. can you imagine? I must look into this more!!! It sounds like a great idea.

Best of luck, OP. Let us know how it goes.

Last edited by Marylandkitten; 08-01-2007 at 10:37 AM..

Old 08-01-2007, 10:50 AM

15 posts, read 51,255 times
I have friends who have had horses in Juneau as far back as 1963- that I know of! They actually started out with a pony when we were kids & have had horses now for at least 30 years. They are VERY into their horses- riding and competing around Alaska as well as the lower 48.

It's a fairly big thing in the Juneau area!

Old 08-01-2007, 06:37 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,823,601 times
A few guys use pack trains to hunt on the peninsula. Also there is some horse rentals in Clam Gultch where you can trail ride or on the beach of Cook Inlet. You'd be surprised how many own horses just on the peninsula. My neighbors must have a dozen or so. The girls are always riding around Sterling.

You may be able to contact these folks and get info about horses in Ketchikan
MOONS SHADOW EQUESTRIANS - Ketchikan - 907-225-2066
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska