Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 06:54 PM

3 posts, read 3,315 times

Advertisements

For many years I have wanted to spend more than a day trip in Anaktuvuk Pass, Ak. This winter I am thinking of spending from Nov. 2011 thru March 2012 up there. I am trying to find a way to rent a room or two or if lucky, an apartment. I called the Village office and could not get a lot of information. I may call the Post Office to see if anyone knows of someone who may rent for the winter.
It is one of the most beautiful places on earth, and I would love to get away from it ALL and spend time meeting new people from a totally different lifestyle.
I would also need some information regarding any public health nurses and perscription refills as I do take some mild medication for blood pressure. I imagine the rx's are filled via mail. If anyone has any ideas please respond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 11:37 PM

455 posts, read 745,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by click4violins View Post
It is one of the most beautiful places on earth
Isn't that the truth. It really is beyond explanation. Sorry I don't really have any suggestions re: lodging except to contact the Nunamiut Corp., phone is 907-661-3123.

Old 05-29-2011, 04:20 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,588,407 times
Well if you have a skill that can be an asset to any small Alaskan town. Just moving to a small town/village where most everyone there is related, having someone just moving in with no interaction to offer makes it tough on the outsider.

In the case of Anaktuvuk Pass, I would go there in person this summer for a few days and make friends and get the feel of the place and do your rental search then... Once you know a few folks, the rest is easy.

Anyway, good luck on your Quest!

Old 05-29-2011, 07:03 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,853,408 times
Well regarding a specific question, I would like to know about this too: how does one get prescriptions filled in the bush?

Old 05-29-2011, 09:01 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,878,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
Well regarding a specific question, I would like to know about this too: how does one get prescriptions filled in the bush?
Mail.

Old 05-30-2011, 12:49 AM

3,840 posts, read 4,517,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
AKP isn't serviced by Samuel Simmonds Memorial Hospital in Barrow so I'm not sure who fills their scripts, maybe the ISH facility in Fairbanks or ANMC. The five villages that SSMH handles get their meds sent out by mail.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:17 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,853,408 times
Thanks for the replies. Seems like a loose system to me, but I guess people just get the benefit of the doubt?

Old 06-01-2011, 06:02 PM

3 posts, read 3,315 times
Thanks to all, First I want to make it clear I do not want to be a drain on the local village. I am a retired teacher with many skills. Once settled in there I would hope to be able to work as a volunteer at the local Village school or church as a tutor etc. I am also a trained musician with a degree in music education so I am sure I could be helpful at the school, in fact I have just sent a letter to the school asking what volunteer role if any I could play. All I would need to do is figure how not to freeze getting from my room to the school, I guess it all has to do with the clothing you have and that I would get in Fairbanks as I am sure in Virginia they do not carry anything heavy enough to get through the Northern Alaska winters.
As far as scripts, so long as I could get refills written I am sure I could use the mail to get them filled. I understand the village has a full health clinic visited two or three times a week by an RN who can write scripts. I only take two different meds, so I do not think that would be an issue.
BY the way I see soimeone by the call name of Blue Ridge Mt ---- is responding, I live between Front Royal, Va. and Winchester, so we may be close by.
PS, I just got off the phone with the Namunit Corp Offices and have the names and phone numbers of some people to speak with.
Although I mentioned I was there a few years ago that was my third trip to Anaktuvuk Pass over some 20 years. In my case it just got in my blood and I decided long ago if my health held out when I retired, which I did last year, I would spend a winter there getting to know the people and fully experiencing a society and life style that most of us can never even imagine. Between the Mountains of the Brooks Range the Northern lights and the smiles I still recall today on the faces of the children and people of Ak. Pass, I would be honered to live amoung them for a few months. I'll keep everyone posted as I follow my dream

Old 06-01-2011, 08:00 PM

455 posts, read 745,017 times
click4violins, I really admire what you're doing. With your attitude, I believe you can make it. I think it would be great if you kept us posted on how your adventure plays out.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:20 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,881,940 times
You can't live life to its fullest without great adventures... I'm with ArcticState... I'm excited for you.. please do keep us informed... I know for a fact I will be back to Alaska...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska