Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 09:32 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,224,415 times

Advertisements

Personally, I live in Anchorage and spend a lot of time in the bush. I wouldn't have it any other way. I want comfort in my home and convenience for my family. But I live for the time I spend out of town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 12:49 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector Sum View Post
I was hoping to live at a place that is close enough so that I could walk, bike, or take the bus. I really do not want to drive on my own.
This right here tells me that you don't have a realistic picture of what rural Alaska is like.

Consider moving to one of the more populated areas and then taking it from there. You might like Juneau, or, as someone mentioned before, Homer. Use somewhere like that as starting point and then work on the lifestyle that you want.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:56 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,683,214 times
Quote:
I was hoping to live at a place that is close enough so that I could walk, bike, or take the bus. I really do not want to drive on my own.
I can't even find a Motel 6 in Delta Junction. Take a taxi!

Motel 6 Hotels in Delta Junction AK Alaska - motel 6

Old 08-04-2011, 01:18 AM

2,758 posts, read 5,284,996 times
Not meaning to pry really, but I'm wondering why it is that you don't want to drive on your own? If you lived a rural, subsistence lifestyle, you'd be doing a lot more on your own than driving a car on a highway. And an hour and a half isn't that long a drive by Alaskan standards (Delta does have a halfway-decent grocery store, but us rural folk do go into town pretty often to stock up and buy things we can't get locally). In rural areas buses aren't an option, but that's true for most rural areas in the Lower-48 as well. If you've only ever lived in cities you really need to do some actual research into what you're talking about here. Reality may be very different from what's in your imagination.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:21 AM

16 posts, read 42,249 times
thanks for all the replies. Can anyone tell me how much free time I would likely have (to learn subsistence skills like hunting, fishing, etc) if I worked 40hrs/wk in a rural town like Delta as, say, a cashier? I'm thinking I might be better off working a few years in urban life and making about 60-70k/yr (as a programmer, engineer, actuary, etc, unless I can obtain a job like that in AK) before moving to AK, as opposed to just leaving for AK asap. Does anyone know how much free time the UAF grad students have to hunt, fish, etc?

Last edited by Vector Sum; 08-04-2011 at 09:02 AM..

Old 08-04-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
Not meaning to pry really, but I'm wondering why it is that you don't want to drive on your own? If you lived a rural, subsistence lifestyle, you'd be doing a lot more on your own than driving a car on a highway. And an hour and a half isn't that long a drive by Alaskan standards (Delta does have a halfway-decent grocery store, but us rural folk do go into town pretty often to stock up and buy things we can't get locally). In rural areas buses aren't an option, but that's true for most rural areas in the Lower-48 as well. If you've only ever lived in cities you really need to do some actual research into what you're talking about here. Reality may be very different from what's in your imagination.
Because I hate having to drive my own car. It costs gas money; I have to deal with angry drivers highbeaming, honking and tailgating me; etc. I can deal with riding the bus because I don't have to deal with those issues that occur when I drive on my own. BUT, if I'm driving on roads that have hardly any drivers, then I don't think it'd be a problem.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Because I hate having to drive my own car. It costs gas money; I have to deal with angry drivers highbeaming, honking and tailgating me; etc. I can deal with riding the bus because I don't have to deal with those issues that occur when I drive on my own. BUT, if I'm driving on roads that have hardly any drivers, then I don't think it'd be a problem.
Sounds like you have some anger management issues you might want to address before coming up here. When people do that to me I IGNORE THEM!!

Those types of issues you're having down there will simply be replaced by other issues here.

Who knows how much free time you will have? That is all up to you?

Old 08-04-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Who knows how much free time you will have? That is all up to you?
ok, how much free time does the typical person in a place like Delta have if he lives by himself with no family?

Old 08-04-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
ok, how much free time does the typical person in a place like Delta have if he lives by himself with no family?
About 15.5 hours per day.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:11 PM

Yep dude, you got some serious emotional problems. The harsh reality of Alaska's winter is only gonna make it worse. I don't sugar coat things. I'll tell ya how it is. You can't handle this. Stay where you are cause moving up here is only gonna make it worse.

This is the PM that Vector Sum sent:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector Sum
You posted in my thread here:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/alaska/1347130-life-small-towns-alaska-2.html

you pitiful old fool. Do you even think before you type? Apparently it doesn't occur to you to think about how many people in city life suffer on a daily basis because of the inhumane conditions they are subjected to. And no, these people are not all failures, abstract objects, losers, etc. Unless you have no friends, family, or acquaintances, then you must know plenty of people that are suffering/have suffered from the inhumane conditions that city life imposes on them. If you recommend them to 'get help' or seek 'anger management classes', then it doesn't even occur to you that you are essentially suggesting that they have no human dignity? That they are nothing more than drones? And you are happy about that they should be treated as if they were just domesticated animals?

What, I'm in the minority of people who get irritated and agitated from the overcrowd population in city life? Plenty of people get annoyed about having to share roads, as it is especially evident during commuting during rush hour. Why else would they high-beam, honk, and tailgate? You dumbass. And the best way to solve the problem is to just force them to 'get help'? With anger management classes? It doesn't ever occur to you that humans have not evolved so that they are perfectly comfortable under these conditions?

You should get real. Its pretty clear to me that you yourself are plagued by low self-esteem, lack of confidence, inferiority, agitation, lack of purpose in life, boredom, etc. Otherwise, you would have 'ignored' my posts since you thought they were dumb questions.

Or perhaps you are just a power-hungry worm. You want ordinary people like me to be treated like domesticated animals so only you can enjoy your privacy, solitude and nature in AK.

But I write this message not to blame you for anything. I am so sorry that you do not even know where the sources of your own unhappiness and misery come from. By writing this message, I admit that I myself am not 100% happy as well. But at least I've put enough time to think about where human unhappiness comes from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska