Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 06:21 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,734,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Yep dude, you got some serious emotional problems. The harsh reality of Alaska's winter is only gonna make it worse. I don't sugar coat things. I'll tell ya how it is. You can't handle this. Stay where you are cause moving up here is only gonna make it worse.

This is the PM that Vector Sum sent:
wow....wowzie..that's his DM to you??? ...he is not gonna make it in Alaska! he should try Montana, Wyoming, or some place like this before even attempting AK!!! not gonna make it in AK or MT, Minnesota, WY or any other state that has rural/desolate places to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 06:35 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,823,601 times
Quote:
About 15.5 hours per day.
I'm thinking it's more like 24. Which is not a bad thing if one get's along with one's self.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:38 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector Sum View Post
Because I hate having to drive my own car. It costs gas money; I have to deal with angry drivers highbeaming, honking and tailgating me; etc. I can deal with riding the bus because I don't have to deal with those issues that occur when I drive on my own. BUT, if I'm driving on roads that have hardly any drivers, then I don't think it'd be a problem.
a. There aren't buses in Delta Junction, nor in most Alaska small towns by the road system.

b. There aren't any jobs in delta Junction other than those already filled by the local population. The unemployment rate in Delta Junction is quite high already.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:56 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,287,317 times
Quote:
Why else would they high-beam, honk, and tailgate?
Maybe because you drive too slow? I mean, I'm just guessing. I've driven in cities plenty, and with some very aggressive drivers (Dallas takes the prize for this one, IMO), and haven't had people do that to me other than on a few occasions.

I understand being frustrated with city life, but this isn't the answer for you. Do your PhD, find a teaching job at a small college in a rural area, live close enough to bike to campus, and try to keep your temper in check.

Last edited by tigre79; 08-04-2011 at 10:06 PM..

Old 08-04-2011, 10:36 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,688,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
wow....wowzie..that's his DM to you??? ...he is not gonna make it in Alaska! he should try Montana, Wyoming, or some place like this before even attempting AK!!! not gonna make it in AK or MT, Minnesota, WY or any other state that has rural/desolate places to live.
Yes, that's his DM to me. I know I'm a jerk but seriously how is anyone gonna know how much free time he's gonna have.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:41 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Quote:
Yes, that's his DM to me. I know I'm a jerk but seriously how is anyone gonna know how much free time he's gonna have.
Yes, you are a jerk. And it comes as no surprise that you get the sort of DMs that you do. Your posting style is generally abusive and you attempt to spew your unhappiness onto anyone who comes here asking a question that you don't like.

His questions may be a bit off the wall but at least they sound sincere.

Why you are allowed to troll this forum is beyond me.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:55 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,688,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Why you are allowed to troll this forum is beyond me.
Same reason you are. Hate to burst your bubble but I am far from unhappy. His questions may have been sincere just like Bob's are but this guy ain't gonna make it here. And someone just needs to be brutally honest with him.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:20 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Quote:
Same reason you are. Hate to burst your bubble but I am far from unhappy. His questions may have been sincere just like Bob's are but this guy ain't gonna make it here. And someone just needs to be brutally honest with him.
BS. Alaska has it's share of people who you'd think wouldn't make it here. Somehow they do. And they all seem to have a few things in common with this guy. He might have to compromise on a few things like not having available bus service but wth.

I agree that DJ most likely isn't the place for him but I don't see why he shouldn't consider Juneau or Homer....maybe Talkeetna or Ester as well.

Basically he seems to want a life with less superfluous external stimulation than that provided by urban life; can't fault him there. That's why a lot of people end up here. Could work out just fine for him...just needs to fine tune his expectations a bit.

No need to be such a jerk to people just because your steroids are kicking in.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:03 AM

635 posts, read 1,655,440 times
Quote:
I just wanna live in Delta Junction in the middle of winter in an uninsulated cabin with only a can of Sterno for heat and a tin can to pee in.
Get real crazy and live in a tent with no tin can, just a small (or large)opening to create the most spectacular urine ice sculpture.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:25 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,098,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector Sum View Post
Because I hate having to drive my own car. It costs gas money; I have to deal with angry drivers highbeaming, honking and tailgating me; etc. I can deal with riding the bus because I don't have to deal with those issues that occur when I drive on my own. BUT, if I'm driving on roads that have hardly any drivers, then I don't think it'd be a problem.
Driving a vehicle in Alaska is a task. It is icy and can be dangerous. The smaller roads do not allow for mistakes. To get a vehicle equipped to take on the outback takes planning and $.... Your plan sounds impractical at this point in time without quite a bit of research. Not coming down on it just that you will have to have your S together....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska