Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 01:45 PM

468 posts, read 801,853 times

Advertisements

Thanks again to everyone who helped plan our trip, especially Warptman and Freezengirl. It was amazing! I gotta say, I absolutely loved Alaska. I am very glad our family is going to settling down there.

It was a very, very cloudy trip, so we didn’t see much in the way of mountains. We did get some spectacular views on a couple of sunny days though. In many ways, it reminded us of northern Minnesota(minus the mtns), especially up near Ely with the Boreal forest. I would have to say that hands down, Homer, was our favorite stop. I don’t remember who recommended stopping by Stewart/Hyder on the way home, but that was my second top. Also lunch at Fast Eddie’s in Tok was really, really good. My jaw hit the floor when I saw the size of my burger/bun.

For the future, we will plan better for Denali National Park. It was kind of a bust for us. I booked a bus to go to about mile 56(I think), but I couldn’t rouse the family in time to make it. Instead we were stuck just going to the end of the drivable part and checking out the sled dogs (which the girls LOVED).

The people of Alaska were unfailingly kind to my oldest. Sometimes when we travel, we don’t know how she is going to be treated. People are not rude per se, just stare a lot and look freaked out because she is clearly disabled or “different.” Not once did we feel that way in Alaska. I know we didn’t meet everyone there, but the ones we did sure represented well.

I highly recommend the Cassier! When I first turned onto it on the way home, I had a moment of doubt and wondered if it was a wise choice for a woman traveling alone with her daughter. But that feeling disappeared quickly. The drive was beautiful and I loved that it was less traveled than the Alaska Highway. And definitely not as many frost heaves! Whoooweee…when I finally made it to Whitehorse from Fairbanks, I felt like I was still rocking and rolling while standing still. The road seemed worse going east for some reason.

My husband and younger two daughters are currently in Barrow for in-service. They seem to be having a good time and head back to Atqasuk at the end of the week. It is really, really hard being home without them. I am hoping that my daughter’s post-op recovery goes well enough that we can join them after Christmas. Right now, we are taking it one day at a time and getting ready for the big surgery on September 6th.

Here is a link to my trip photos on flickr (I hope that is OK to post):
Collection: Alaska or Bust (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jodempsey/collections/72157627142251405/ - broken link)

I know some of the pics are not labeled correctly or quite in the right place. I am still getting back up to speed around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 01:52 PM

437 posts, read 817,704 times
Glad you had a good time. One of the reasons I love Alaska so much is the people. When I moved from the midwest in 2001 to AK it was the first thing I noticed, how nice everyone was.

I hope your daughter's surgery goes smooth as silk.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:30 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,190,644 times
You are welcome! I'm glad you had a great trip. I didn't drive the highway this summer as I planned, stayed home and worked. I'm back at my old job for now, I've been back month. I go back to the bus next week. This was my first summer staying in Alaska in years, I miss the road!

Great pictures!

Old 08-08-2011, 02:33 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,190,644 times
You found the Chicken place!

Old 08-08-2011, 02:48 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,763,052 times
Lunabell....awesome photo's there lady!!!...beautiful girls you have! Hope everything goes great and you and your daughter join the rest of your family real soon!

Oh JoeJoe...meant to tell you....the Blue Bus is closed with a for sale sign on it ....bummer as I so wanted a burger from there!

Old 08-08-2011, 04:55 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,537,206 times
awesome photos looks like you had an awesome time... Jealous as I had to postpone my Alaskan trip until at least next year!

Old 08-08-2011, 06:18 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,594,649 times
It is great that you had a good trip and have lots of good memories and photos!

Old 08-08-2011, 08:24 PM

1,055 posts, read 1,873,726 times
Awesome photographs! It looks like all of you had a wonderful trip to Alaska as a family. It sure looks like the kids were having the time of their lives. :-)

Old 08-09-2011, 01:04 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,487,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunabell View Post
... Also lunch at Fast Eddie’s in Tok was really, really good. My jaw hit the floor when I saw the size of my burger/bun.
It is good to see Fast Eddie's is doing well. I remember eating there when I first arrived in Alaska on May 4, 1991.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:41 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,883,402 times
Gorgeous family... so glad you enjoyed your trip... I love the Homer group of pictures.. looks like a great place to live too ... My prayers are with you and your daughter with her surgery... and soon you'll all be together again as a family..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska