Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 11:17 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times

Advertisements

Met,

A big difference you have failed to notice is that I have said that along the Copper River and its tributaries, Copper Center (the whole Copper Valley), copper in its natural form is readily found (exposed or out of the ground). When it rains, traces of this metal are carried by a myriad of creeks and streams down to the Copper River. This copper does not have to be mined to reach the Copper River. On top of that there were several copper mines operating from 1911-1938, not just the one you have mentioned. Back then there were no rules imposed on mining gold, copper, like there are today. So, while Pebble may be a lot larger than the other copper mines in Alaska, back then a lot of more junk ended in the nearby streams than from the mines of today.

Another example: if you look at the hills by Pedro and Harrison Creek, you will see the remains of large iron water pipes. The way mining was done back then was to use high pressure water pumps to wash-down from the banks along the streams or creeks-the gravel and dirt that contained the gold, and then mercury was used to catch any fine gold. That's illegal to do nowadays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 11:30 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Met,

A big difference you have failed to notice is that I have said that along the Copper River and its tributaries, Copper Center (the whole Copper Valley), copper in its natural form is readily found (exposed or out of the ground). When it rains, traces of this metal are carried by a myriad of creeks and streams down to the Copper River. This copper does not have to be mined to reach the Copper River. On top of that there were several copper mines operating from 1911-1938, not just the one you have mentioned. Back then there were no rules imposed on mining gold, copper, like there are today. So, while Pebble may be a lot larger than the other copper mines in Alaska, back then a lot of more junk ended in the nearby streams than from the mines of today.

Another example: if you look at the hills by Pedro and Harrison Creek, you will see the remains of large iron water pipes. The way mining was done back then was to use high pressure water pumps to wash-down from the banks along the streams or creeks-the gravel and dirt that contained the gold, and then mercury was used to catch any fine gold. That's illegal to do nowadays.
I've not only noticed that big difference, Ray, but I've addressed it. Put down the hooch and read the linkies I've posted.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I've not only noticed that big difference, Ray, but I've addressed it. Put down the hooch and read the linkies I've posted.
OK, Met. I will read it

But if you ever want to read some great historical events that happened in the Copper Valley, with lots of beautiful pictures of the area, this is the place:
The Great Alaska Copper Rush

Old 08-16-2011, 11:49 PM

Last time I was up at Copper River I was highly impressed with the beauty I saw there, though it's always nice to see photographs as reminders of it.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:19 AM

And actually, since you're always going on about how smart your idol $arah Palin is because she has made some money in the last couple of years, I would probably, in your opinion, be "smart" to support the Pebble project because if it does adversely affect the Bristol Bay runs, that ultimately would mean more loot for me because our runs are independent of theirs. Prices would soar even more for our product.

At this point I'm quite not completely against some form of mining there, but I think that it's more likely than not that it could have an adverse effect on the salmon runs and I don't think that's a chance worth taking. An entire way of life could be wiped out, and it's a way of life that I personally know to be one well worth preserving.

Old 08-17-2011, 04:58 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,567,607 times
Quote:
And actually, since you're always going on about how smart your idol $arah Palin is because she has made some money in the last couple of years, I would probably, in your opinion, be "smart" to support the Pebble project because if it does adversely affect the Bristol Bay runs, that ultimately would mean more loot for me because our runs are independent of theirs. Prices would soar even more for our product.

At this point I'm quite not completely against some form of mining there, but I think that it's more likely than not that it could have an adverse effect on the salmon runs and I don't think that's a chance worth taking. An entire way of life could be wiped out, and it's a way of life that I personally know to be one well worth preserving.

Since Pebble hasn't released any data on where/when they want to mine yet, most of the anti Pebble Banter is just speculation from those that really don't know what the are protesting against.

I want to read their report when they apply for their permits and how they plan on mining. I'm against the current bashing the young lady that Pebble has on the TV ads, she has nothing to do with how/where the mine will operate, yet the anti Pebble crowd are throwing mud as if she had the final say about the mine.

If the mine created a "Real" risk to the Salmon habitat, I dear say I would be against it, but so far there is nothing factual yet to go on except the constant worse case scenario by the sky is falling crowd.

Time will tell I guess.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:53 PM

Quote:

Silly... Palin is not my idol, just an attractive woman who speaks her mind like a lot of other...How would I say it... (good looking?) women in Alaska

Old 08-19-2011, 10:44 PM

Very true about what happens when it rains on the hills along the Copper River, Starlite9. A lot of people have no idea about such things, and if they do they just ignore it. When it rains in some of the mountain ranges and hills of the Copper Valley, very small creeks and Copper River tributaries carry all their murky waters right into the Copper River along traces of all the minerals nearby.

Down through Chitina, the Copper River swells so much that it floods the areas that have the fish wheels. A few years ago the flood was so large that the septic tanks under the outhouses by O'Bryan Creek floated out of there and were left next to the small bridge there.

Old 08-20-2011, 02:24 AM

4,463 posts, read 6,228,582 times
I highly doubt that the pebble mine will bring the gravy train that the oil pipe line did. Out of the few jobs the mine will create for alaskans even fewer will be 6 figure. The oil industry made alot of millionares that were not share holders or CEO's and likely built south anchorage and big lake area and the quality of life we enjoy in alaska. Mining just doesent cut it, we would need to refine the metals here or make finished products to get real incomes.

Old 08-20-2011, 02:38 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,127,072 times
I think highlife has the same thing that Bob has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska