Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 09:04 AM

5,706 posts, read 9,635,340 times

Advertisements

The Environmental Protection Agency is warning that plans for a massive mine in the hills above Bristol Bay in Alaska — home of the biggest sockeye salmon fishery in the world — could have devastating consequences for rivers and streams and wipe out habitat for fish.

Pebble Mine could devastate Alaska rivers, streams, EPA says - latimes.com

Any one other than me still taking their mule, pick-axe, and shovel to Bristol Bay?

Sent from my 1951 Royal Deluxe Typewriter using TypingFingers2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 09:27 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,524,586 times
In that case we better stop using any fuel, burning any wood, using electricity, definitely nothing nuclear (so no nuclear power), because of all those could cause major problems too...

I have no problem with mines as long as certain precautions are put into place to contain or prevent the disaster in the first place. There is a point that the risk can be mitigated enough to justify the rewards.

Sent From my TRS-80 using a 300 baud dial-up modem to CompuServe.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:09 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,697,869 times
An earthquake could devistate Anchorage, again!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-19-2012, 12:09 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,576,162 times
Funny thing, the Copper River had some of the most polluting Copper mines in the world, dumped tons of toxins into the water system and yet their Salmon fetch the highest prices for Salmon in the World.

The Pebble mine will be highly regulated and dump nothing into the rivers and it is claimed the salmon will be harmed.

The State is being overrun by people that truely believe in the Booggie man!

Old 05-19-2012, 12:23 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,748,670 times
Funny, they could barely give Copper River salmon away in Seattle last season.

The highest priced salmon in the world are winter Kings off the coast of Prince of Wales Island.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:25 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,748,670 times
Bring on the pebble mine -- it probably will impact Bristol's sockeye run but what the hell, it'll just drive prices up in for the rest of the $almon in the state.

Old 05-19-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Bring on the pebble mine -- it probably will impact Bristol's sockeye run but what the hell, it'll just drive prices up in for the rest of the $almon in the state.
I think it will just be a big non event. If the mine goes through the only one it will affect will the guy that started all the Anti-Pebble stuff in the first place to keep his high end fishing lodge exclusive to the area.

When they were first starting up the protests I went to a meeting in Anchorage while waiting for my son to get off work. The guy has since gotten a whole army of protesters doing his bidding and after talking with them, they really are clueless. They keep wanting to have me sign their protest papers and I ask them exactly what damage the mine will do and their only response is "it will distroy the salmon streams". Not very convincing argument when you look at where the copper ore is at in hard rock mining, not

Besides, with the onslaught of farm fish, I think that is distroying the industry faster than anything else!

Last edited by starlite9; 05-19-2012 at 02:19 PM..

Old 05-19-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:

The highest priced salmon in the world are winter Kings off the coast of Prince of Wales Island.
I'm not a big salmon eating fan since that was what I had to live on as a kid, but it seems the press and other sources are going nuts about the Reds. I know that is your field of expertise, but there is still a lot of hoopla about the Copper River Fish and my point is that the Copper River is named after this nasty mineral that spawns these high dollars fish!

Stories like the following are all over the web, just as are those of Southeast and Bristol Bay salmon.

Wild Copper River Salmon
Every May, around the 15th, the first salmon of the season return to the rivers and streams of Alaska with the Copper River being one of the first. King, Sockeye, and Silver salmon embark on their long journeys up the 'Copper to spawn and lay their eggs. As salmon start their* journey up the river and prepare to spawn, their feeding habits diminish. Because the Copper River is so swift, they must store extra fat and oils in order to survive the long trip. This high fat and oil content is why Copper River salmon are recognized as some of the world's best-eating salmon.

Old 05-19-2012, 02:27 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,027,191 times
The EPA is devastating Alaska (and the rest of the country).

Old 05-19-2012, 02:34 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,697,869 times
Quote:

I'm clueless?

Alaska's Copper River salmon arrive in Seattle: AP Alaska | Alaska news at adn.com

Copper River salmon are prized for their high oil content and flavor. They typically bring the highest prices at restaurants and fish markets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska