Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2009, 07:20 PM

457 posts, read 1,016,458 times

Advertisements

Talk about activism! A jeweler in Mich.?, ever been there Brah???

I know mining rips the S outa whats there. The MSHA and EPA are so tough anymore if they aprove it maybe it wont leach all the elements that made Colorado a Superfund site.
Ya know I have a bigger BEEF with the foreign countries drag-lining (sein) the worlds seas and killing everything infititum.
Our seas are the BIG DISASTER we face.

Were in a depression that wont be felt until 50 trillion$ will be owed within 3 years. Are YOU ready? Im not. I say bust there bones on containment and reclamation and go for it. Called progress folks-- we all cant write paper for a living but need to actually MAKE SOMETHING. Can you imagine the halls ? EMPTY.

I have a close associate in Homer that is in the Pebble situation that I will see soon and get their view.

We protect the environment while foreign countries rape pillage and kill ! gosh!

Heres the article ;

Class ring makers join boycott against Alaska mine

By MARY PEMBERTON (AP) – 21 hours ago

ANCHORAGE, Alaska — The growing list of jewelers vowing to boycott gold from a proposed Alaska mine now includes major manufacturers of class rings.

Herff Jones and Commemorative Brands Inc., both of which make class rings, have joined the list of jewelers opposed to the proposed Pebble Mine in southwest Alaska. The mine is estimated to contain hundreds of billions of dollars worth of copper, gold and molybdenum, but would be built near some of the world's most productive wild salmon streams.

Two other companies, Birks and Mayors and Hacker Jewelers, also added their names to the list on Wednesday. The 18 jewelry companies now opposed to Pebble represent sales of more than $3.7 billion a year.

Canadian-based Northern Dynasty Minerals Ltd. and London-based Anglo American are developing the minerals deposit.

Project plans haven't been finalized, making the jewelers' opposition premature, Pebble Partnership CEO John Shively said.

"They've prejudged the project when we don't have one," he said.

Dan Hacker, whose father founded Hacker Jewelers of Tecumseh, Mich., in 1956, described his business as a "mom and pop" operation.

"Certainly, I am not a crazy person that is against all kinds of economic development or anything, but this proposal is a very big open pit mine, perhaps the biggest open pit mine in North America, and it really threatens to endanger a great commercial salmon fishery and some pristine water," he said Wednesday. "The salmon fishery provides tens of thousands of jobs for people and that is a sustainable industry."

Hacker said he uses recycled gold instead of newly mined gold whenever possible.

"Gold is one of the most recycled resources that the world has ever known," he said.

Tiffany & Co., with more than $1.5 billion in sales, is leading the campaign against Pebble. It took out an advertisement in the October issue of National Jeweler to encourage other jewelers to join the campaign.

"Despite the best of intentions, 175 years of experience sourcing gemstones and precious metals tells us that there are certain places where mining cannot be done without forever destroying landscapes, wildlife and communities," it read. "Bristol Bay is one such place."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 10:33 PM

1,435 posts, read 2,779,363 times
Because this is "our" land. And you know it- if corners can be cut, the question is not "if" but rather "how soon" will they be cut..
Did you read about the ash slide/flood earlier this year or was it last year, contaminating so much land, destroying homes.
And this project is proposed in such a pristine and ecologicaly important area.
Not knowing any more, I would be against it too. And I can't imagine what info would change my mind.

Old 10-05-2009, 01:44 PM

457 posts, read 1,016,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPF View Post
Because this is "our" land. And you know it- if corners can be cut, the question is not "if" but rather "how soon" will they be cut..
Did you read about the ash slide/flood earlier this year or was it last year, contaminating so much land, destroying homes.
And this project is proposed in such a pristine and ecologicaly important area.
Not knowing any more, I would be against it too. And I can't imagine what info would change my mind.
I agree John. The disaster in Tennessee was an Enviro plan put together by a poverty stricken area plannning group that allowed tailings de-emulsived material to be to close to the river. A disaster for sure.

Thats the problem. Underfunded depresssion hit areas are trying to maintain a lifestyle of good paying jobs but without the resources to do IT right.

Im not for or against Pebble.
Pebble has nothing in common with that Ten. Plant . But your still against it? Heck ! what Part of our Beautiful Earth isnt pristine and worth saving?

Broad strokes by you? Is that a fair thing? Or admit you havent done the D.D.?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: