Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 07:47 PM

413 posts, read 938,367 times

Advertisements

It's got a big test drive all the way back to Michigan, 9 hours.

Father-in-law is going to give it a thorough going-over when we get to Michigan. Since my paperwork has already been processed, I'll probably have to fly anyway. I'll talk it over with dad, dad in law, and the state office, and see if it's feasible for me to drive. That would seem to solve all my problems.

I'll have a car, so I won't have to purchase one (tho I will have to winterize it). I will get reimbursed mileage, quite a bit, so it's a bit more lucrative for me to drive. We'll see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 04:33 PM

Just a quick update.

We made it back to Michigan with surprisingly little complications. It did rain on all our stuff for half the trip home.

Staying with the in-laws (including hubby's teenage sister). I know you can't hear me rolling my eyes, but I hope that the message comes through loud and clear. lol.

Still planning on flying, but no update on when. I requested to fly up on September 5th, so I don't miss my stepson's birthday (the 4th), but that's Labor day, so we'll see how all that works out.

I don't have regular internet access, but I'm still super-excited. Way more excited now than I was. The nervousness is still there, but now that I'm halfway through my 3-legged trip, I feel a little better. Once I get up there and get some wheels, I'll be all set!

Old 08-18-2011, 03:40 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,572,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtgirl View Post
Just a quick update.

We made it back to Michigan with surprisingly little complications. It did rain on all our stuff for half the trip home.

Staying with the in-laws (including hubby's teenage sister). I know you can't hear me rolling my eyes, but I hope that the message comes through loud and clear. lol.

Still planning on flying, but no update on when. I requested to fly up on September 5th, so I don't miss my stepson's birthday (the 4th), but that's Labor day, so we'll see how all that works out.

I don't have regular internet access, but I'm still super-excited. Way more excited now than I was. The nervousness is still there, but now that I'm halfway through my 3-legged trip, I feel a little better. Once I get up there and get some wheels, I'll be all set!

Cool! Congrats!

Old 08-18-2011, 06:18 AM

6,994 posts, read 12,740,416 times
Congrat's and may everything go smoothly for you from now on! best of luck for your new life adventure! please update us and stay with the forum to assist others!

Old 08-18-2011, 10:46 AM

115 posts, read 165,932 times
Best wishes - hope it goes well!

Old 08-18-2011, 04:28 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,848,570 times
Awesome!!!!!! I knew you would make it!!!! This made my day. So wait, you're flying up there and then renting a car? Or selling your (now fixed) old one and buying a car?

Old 08-19-2011, 06:00 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,522,496 times
Glad things are working out for you! Good luck, keep us informed if you can.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:53 AM

So now they tell me that the 'dress code' for the office is "Professional Business Dress". I'm a wildlife biologist by trade. Most of the time, I (and everyone else in the office) is coming in covered in mud picking off ticks.

So now they want me to buy an entirely new wardrobe for this job. I don't know if you guys know anything about AmeriCorps, but basically they get away with paying you slave wages (less than minimum wage, I made approximately $4 an hour at my last position) by offering 'education bonuses' and 'health benefits' and all sorts of things that otherwise I can't afford. Which is cool. But you can't get ahead at all. Hell, you can barely stay afloat!

Well I'm just flat out of money. I can't afford to go buy all new clothes just so I can go into the office. Especially since I was going to have to buy a car when I got there. And that's another thing: The AmeriCorps position I just left provided transportation. This one would require me to use my vehicle for site visits and things. And some of the sites are quite some distance from Fairbanks. I know at least one's in Ester. And my hubby won't be able to fix my car when it breaks down (and it will, since I can't afford a car that will be in decent shape), since I can't afford to ship all his tools up there.

I think my pipe dreams of coming to Alaska are coming to a close. I think I'm going to tell them to find someone else for the position. I just don't have the financial backing for it.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:01 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
Look---in FBs, you don't have to be a fashion plate. Just wear what you have.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:03 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
What size do you wear? I have all sorts of dumbass business clothes I'd rather drink coyote pee than to wear again that I could mail you. But really, "business professional" doesn't have the same meaning in Alaska (outside of Anchorage perhaps) that it does in the -48).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska