Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 10:08 AM

413 posts, read 938,901 times

Advertisements

The car's in the shop. Again. I literally didn't even make it home from the shop before it broke again. So now I don't know what to do. We're getting kicked out of our place in Illinois on the 14th, and everyone I know lives in Michigan.

I saved for an entire year, every dime I could scrape together from my $800-a-month-to-raise-a-family-of-3 paychecks, just to have money to move at the end of the year because I know I would need it. And I had to spend every last cent of that, and then more, to fix the car. So now my entire cushion for moving is gone.

I haven't taken the credit-card advance yet (not that there's much there), but that's next. That's the only money I have left. And even if I do that, I don't know if it'll be enough to get up there and survive the first couple of weeks until the paychecks start rolling in.

I don't know what to do. And I don't understand why bad things happen to good people who work so damn hard and plan so long in advance for things just to have them fall apart right at the end.

And I don't understand why the F*CK AmeriCorps is just going to let me flounder like this. I've given a year of my life to serve my country, and just signed up to serve another, and they're giving me the shaft, like "oh well, sucks to be you." If I'm serving you, I don't understand why you can't help me out? At least cushion the blow a little. You were more than happy to give me $1300 when I was going to drive to Alaska, but now that I'm flying, you act like that money doesn't even exist? Cut me some fricking slack.

I hate to screw the organization in Fairbanks, but I'm about to tell them I just can't come, and stay in Michigan with the in-laws and sell kilts until I can find something else. I hate to fail. But I just don't know if I can do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 10:21 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,881,254 times
Newtgirl... I'm so sorry ... sometimes things happen beyond our control and at times when you feel you can't take anymore a glimmer of light can shine through.. maybe it is meant to be just for now...

Maybe call Fairbanks and let them know your dilema.. maybe they have a suggestion for you or they can delay your arrival until your money situation is better... My heart and prayers will be with you. I know about dreams and disappointment... this is just one of those bumps in life that we must deal with... it WILL happen eventually if you stay strong and don't give up...

Old 08-09-2011, 11:05 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,448,278 times
How unfortunate. I know you had your heart set on coming. I think now you have to concentrate on your current needs, and those of your family.

While I admire your wanting to work for AmeriCorps it is just not feasible. To support a family of 3 on $800 a month would be tough, given food, clothes, gas, utilities, etc. I can't help but wonder why you aren't working as a biologist, as is listed on your profile..which surely commands a decent salary. As I said working for AmeriCorps is certainly commendable, but you have to think of yourself and family first. You said you signed up for another year, is there anyway you can get out of this? I'm not judging you but there has got to be a better option besides working for AmeriCorps.

As Nature said "maybe it is not meant to be for now."

Last edited by Alaskapat528; 08-09-2011 at 11:18 AM..

Old 08-09-2011, 11:43 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,531,697 times
Sorry to hear this....

While I do not have a way to make this work for you. (Absent me winning the powerball lottery) I have some thoughts to share with you.

To me, things happen for a reason. IT has taken me years to figure out that the path I wanted to take and was prevented from taking was for the better. I know it stinks right now - but keep your focus on the goal (AK) and continue to strive for it. You will get there. There are people on this forum that has strived for years and have had to wait until their retirement to move to AK...

Things seems to work their way out, one way or the other. IF you have your heart set on AK - I believe it will happen.

Not that it will make you feel better, but there are alot of people "hurting" right now - dreams and plans have been put on hold or cancelled. Think of what you have - a nice family, and apparently loving/caring parents that are still around for you....

Old 08-09-2011, 12:35 PM

413 posts, read 938,901 times
I was working as a biologist in Alabama for Alabama A&M University. They seemed to have a hard time with their finances, so when I didn't get paid for 3 months in a row, I quit and jumped on this AmeriCorps position. I've loved it up until now.

Of course, now that I need something to come along, the economy is in the toilet and there just isn't anything out there. Not even 1039's. There's nothing. Everyone wants seasonal volunteers or interns; they don't want to pay anyone anything. I don't need any more experience as a biologist. I've got 2 degrees and half a decade as experience. I need a career-track job.

It's just so outrageously frustrating. In the last month, I've spent literally 1/3 of the money I made this year on my car. The car that I've never had to drop a dime on. My dependable, reliable, not-rusty, not-a-beater, wonderful car. And if all this had happened 6 months ago, I would have a chance to recover, and it wouldn't be so bad. But I don't have 6 months to recover from this. I don't even have 6 weeks to recover.

It's just a combination of crappy timing and crappy circumstances. I'm just so... broken. It's such a soap opera sob story, I know. My grandma died, and my car broke down, and I work two jobs, and I can't get ahead. And my parents will buy my brother a new car and a new house and bail him out of jail every other week, but when I need help, they wait until I'm a sobbing heap on the floor before they relent, and only then when I offer them $250 to come get my aquariums so I can sell my snakes so I have the money to give them for coming to get me.

I hate being so dramatic.

I can quit, but that leaves the folks in Fairbanks scrambling for someone else last minute. I mean, I've already got my paperwork rolling for my plane tickets, and I'm already signed up for training. And on top of that, I really wanted the education bonus of doing another year of AmeriCorps (which would pay off my student loans completely [and in just 3 years after graduating college]).

I fear that I'm going to have to tuck my tail and go home, and go work in the green bean factory.

I feel like such a loser. I've worked so hard to make something of myself. I put myself through college, I've got two degrees, I've got a great resume, I've worked for a variety of government agencies doing a wide range of projects, trying to make sure I cover all my bases and make myself as marketable as I can, and it's still not enough.

I guess I'm just late coming to the 'victim of the economy' game.

I'm sorry I unloaded on all you guys too. Thanks for being a captive audience, though.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:43 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,753,711 times
you've got your paperwork going for your plane ticket! awesome....a bit of a pity party is fine as long as it doesn't consume you and not end.
you are keeping your end of the deal....once you hit Alaska...work for them during the designated hour and then step right up and double time it ... start networking and putting your resume out there with the date you can start....spend your free time building the foundation for the future...it takes work...not too many people have jobs or connection just fall in their laps nowadays...determination..you will make it!

Old 08-09-2011, 01:50 PM

Really important here is the fact that you are not a loser...you are trying with everything in you; do not give up! I know, easier said then done, but once you give up, the battle is lost.

Old 08-09-2011, 01:59 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,753,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
Really important here is the fact that you are not a loser...you are trying with everything in you; do not give up! I know, easier said then done, but once you give up, the battle is lost.
absolutely correct Pat! keep the dream goal and go for it!

Old 08-09-2011, 02:08 PM

Is your housing through AmeriCorps? Or do they just pay you a salary?

Old 08-09-2011, 02:52 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,531,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
X100 ---

Never give up!

Here's to hoping your luck comes around.

On Edit: Looked at the AmeriCorp site. Looks like they do not provide housing (I could be wrong), but they provide a child care help (if you qualify - no qualification parameters listed), moving expenses (already discussed), and training. Other benefits are loan forebearances (already discussed), and one possible IMPORTANT one that allows you to be extra competetive for a government job when you are done. So there are really good reasons to keep at this! I will keep the light on at the end of tunnel for you!

Last edited by Dakster; 08-09-2011 at 03:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska