Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 10:32 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,034,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawn77 View Post
My family and I are planning a move to Alaska from North Carolina. We are trying to find information on several communities, but highest on our list is Nenana. Any information given would be appreciated. We need to know about housing, climate, schools, healthcare and employment. We have 4 kids, so school is an important issue, but homeschooling could be an option if there were no available schools. I have emailed the mayor of Nenana, but have not heard back yet. Thanks!
They have a mayor? Just kidding. You need to contact Starlite on here. He lives in Nenana
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 11:26 PM

8 posts, read 10,841 times
Nenana is in Greenland City Area Yukon Koyukuk Census of the City organized the U.S. state of Alaska. Nenana River is located on the Nenana and Tanana River. The population was 402 in 2000 census. "Nenana" means "good place to camp for two rivers.

Nenana is in the western part of Tanana Athabascan Indian territory. It was first known as Tortella, an interpretation of the Indian word "Toghotthele" (TOG-uh-TEE-Lee), which means "mountain along the river." Early explorers such as Allen, Harper and Bates first entered the Tanana Valley in 1875 and 1885. However, the Tanana people were accustomed to contact with Europeans, due to business travel from the village of Tanana, where Russians exchanged leather western products.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:29 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,864,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldsmith0 View Post
Nenana is in Greenland City Area Yukon Koyukuk Census of the City organized the U.S. state of Alaska. Nenana River is located on the Nenana and Tanana River. The population was 402 in 2000 census. "Nenana" means "good place to camp for two rivers.

Nenana is in the western part of Tanana Athabascan Indian territory. It was first known as Tortella, an interpretation of the Indian word "Toghotthele" (TOG-uh-TEE-Lee), which means "mountain along the river." Early explorers such as Allen, Harper and Bates first entered the Tanana Valley in 1875 and 1885. However, the Tanana people were accustomed to contact with Europeans, due to business travel from the village of Tanana, where Russians exchanged leather western products.
I think most people probably already know how to use Wikipedia.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:13 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,570,714 times
What do you want to know about the town? I've lived there 22+ years and know most of the people there.

Unless you work for the Barge Lines or the school system, there isn't any really good paying jobs persay, but it depends on what you are good at as well. Kids went to school there and then on to UAF.

What draws you to Nenana?

Old 08-19-2011, 12:13 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,848,105 times
Nenana is a town that I was considering for a minute there, but the lack of jobs in my field showing up around there means there's no reason for me to go there. It is in such a great location and is a great size, those are the things that draw me to places like Nenana. Right now I'm hoping to go to Delta, because there are jobs out that way (east of FBX) in my field regularly, even some year-round positions that I could possibly scare up. I just want a place that is rural and private, where I can have a bit of land separating me and my nearest neighbor. And where I can go ride snowmachines on a whim, right off my front doorstep. The interior itself is a large part of the draw.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:26 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,437,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
Nenana is a town that I was considering for a minute there, but the lack of jobs in my field showing up around there means there's no reason for me to go there. It is in such a great location and is a great size, those are the things that draw me to places like Nenana. Right now I'm hoping to go to Delta, because there are jobs out that way (east of FBX) in my field regularly, even some year-round positions that I could possibly scare up. I just want a place that is rural and private, where I can have a bit of land separating me and my nearest neighbor. And where I can go ride snowmachines on a whim, right off my front doorstep. The interior itself is a large part of the draw.
Have you made up your mind where you plan to go if not Delta?

Old 08-19-2011, 12:33 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,848,105 times
I've basically made up my mind where NOT to go (SE, pretty much), and then wherever I can find a job anywhere else in the state, I'm up for it. I would prefer the interior, and I would be able to deal with living in Fairbanks if I could live in a more peaceful part of town, like the area around Farmers Loop looks really nice.

Basically, from Barrow to Nome to Fairbanks to Bethel to Valdez, I don't care. If the job is open, I'll take it.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:59 PM

Well one of the positive things about Nenana for a host of reasons is that it is/was the hub of Alaska for almost hundred years. It is located on the road, rail and river systems. The Railroad was built in the twenties to Nenana, then a RR Bridge was built over the Tanana River to connect with Fairbanks. The train brought freight to Nenana from the Port of Seward on the Coast, from there it was loaded on stern wheelers (Prop driven tugs and barges today) and taken down the Tanana River to the Yukon river for delivery.

There is a lot of access to Alaska by the river system as well, there a numerous rivers that dump into the Yukon/Tanana Rivers where people take riverboats to their homesteads or snowmachines/dogsleds in the winter.

In my case I fly, so it opens up a lot more of Alaska and Nenana is pretty much in the center of all that.

If you are weak at heart, it would be better suited to living in Anchorage or Fairbanks because you have a bit more of a "Civilized" life there verses living out farther. Wildlife is pretty much on your doorstep. I have more issues with bear knocking over my burn barrels than dogs.... the wolves eat the stray dogs so that isn't a trash issue...

But I like the area overall, the winters are a bit cold, we average about ten degrees colder than Fairbanks in the winter and about the same in the summer. But you adapt and the houses are built for the cold as well so that balances out things... well most of them are built for the cold...

Good luck in your choice.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
They have a mayor? Just kidding. You need to contact Starlite on here. He lives in Nenana

The Mayor?

I live there and can't catch up with Jason very often, maybe at the coffee shop during lunch!

Old 08-19-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post

What kind of work do you do? Clear AFB is about 30 miles south of Nenana and employes a lot of different kind of workers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska