Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 01:33 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,848,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
What kind of work do you do? Clear AFB is about 30 miles south of Nenana and employes a lot of different kind of workers.
Well, I'm finishing up a degree in Natural Resource Management, or as this particular school calls it, Environmental Science. It's basically anything to do with the outdoors, including wildlife, trees/forestry work, field biology, etc. I don't know if an AFB would have much use for someone in my line of work; I seem to see more listings out of Fort Wainwright and Elmendorf/Richardson. I don't know if I'm using the right site(s) though, so if you have any I'd love to see them. Two places that strongly, strongly appeal to me (as ridiculously different as they are) are Delta and Valdez. Nenana would be nice too, but the other two towns are closer to the mountains, so I would take those if I could, but I wouldn't mind being in the very heart of the interior either.

Basically, whatever work I can get, that's where I'm going. And it looks like I might be going to Fort Wainwright (living in Salcha, maybe?) at some point, because they post field biology jobs up like it's going out of style. What's the deal with the Richardson from Salcha to Ft. Wainwright though? Google says it's "partial restricted usage". I wonder if they have rentals in Salcha... My head is spinning because there are so many places, so little time. Luckily, like you, I will be airborne before long, so that will help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 05:09 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,194,364 times
There are a few rentals around Salcha, but keep in mind that a lot of these are often rented to GI's from Eielson AFB. While this air base in right in Salcha, Fort Wainwright is right in Fairbanks (you step out of the front gate, and you are on Airport Way in Fairbanks) So, if you get a job at Eielson AFB, then a place in Salcha is "next door." But if you get a job at the Army post, then Fairbanks is "next door."

That said, driving from Salcha to Fort Wainwright takes about 25 minutes (from 25-30 miles). Also, keep in mind that several military installations in Alaska, including these two above, have been mentioned for possible DOD closures because of military budget cuts by Congress. I believe the news was published last week on the local papers. However, while some installations will be closed, others will be realigned. For example, instead of two Army posts, integrate them into one.

Last edited by RayinAK; 08-21-2011 at 05:22 PM..

Old 08-28-2011, 03:46 AM

178 posts, read 250,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Unlike the lower-48, Alaska towns aren't much so. Well, there are a very few buildings and business in Nenana.... More than likely your kids (older than 12) will be bused to Fairbanks to attend school, and if lucky there may be a house or two to rent. Jobs? Most people from Nenena work in Fairbanks, unless you can get a Nenana "government" work in town.
Nenana Alaska Chamber of Commerce : Alaska Businesses
Most of the information will be here:
Nenana, Alaska - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hey now! Nenena is almost a large town by my standards. Then again, what do I know, my town is about to board up in a few weeks.

Nikki

Old 08-28-2011, 03:54 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,878,100 times
Default OMG... so sorry to hear that

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkiV View Post
Hey now! Nenena is almost a large town by my standards. Then again, what do I know, my town is about to board up in a few weeks.

Nikki
I do wish you well... How very sad Nikki...

Old 08-28-2011, 04:14 AM

178 posts, read 250,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturesdreams View Post
I do wish you well... How very sad Nikki...

No sadness at all. Just Glitter Gulch closing down for the winter. I'm looking forward to it in some ways. It will be nice to have the quietness back in the park. I will miss some of the restaurants and having a convienence store within 5 miles. But oh well. They will be back next year.

Nikki

Old 08-28-2011, 05:54 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,572,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkiV View Post
No sadness at all. Just Glitter Gulch closing down for the winter. I'm looking forward to it in some ways. It will be nice to have the quietness back in the park. I will miss some of the restaurants and having a convienence store within 5 miles. But oh well. They will be back next year.

Nikki
Well it will be like Christmas in May when it all opens back up again!

Old 08-28-2011, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Unlike the lower-48, Alaska towns aren't much so. Well, there are a very few buildings and business in Nenana.... More than likely your kids (older than 12) will be bused to Fairbanks to attend school, and if lucky there may be a house or two to rent. Jobs? Most people from Nenena work in Fairbanks, unless you can get a Nenana "government" work in town.

Geeze, I just read all that...

Which is pretty misleading. Nenana has it's own school system K thru 12 grade. Both of my kids went there, Graduated and went to College at UAF.

Only a very few people drive to Fairbanks to work, there is a number of businesses in Nenana, but not like Fairbanks. There is three barge line companies that haul freight down the river system to the Yukon, the school employs the most in town year round. And a good number of people there work at Clear AFB to the South.

Anyway, just thought I'd point that out

Whomever wrote that description of Nenana has clearly never been there.

Old 08-28-2011, 05:16 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,194,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Geeze, I just read all that...

Which is pretty misleading. Nenana has it's own school system K thru 12 grade. Both of my kids went there, Graduated and went to College at UAF.

Only a very few people drive to Fairbanks to work, there is a number of businesses in Nenana, but not like Fairbanks. There is three barge line companies that haul freight down the river system to the Yukon, the school employs the most in town year round. And a good number of people there work at Clear AFB to the South.

Anyway, just thought I'd point that out

Whomever wrote that description of Nenana has clearly never been there.
If the school system employs the most in town year round, and a group of people work at Clear military installation, all it means is that most are government workers. The trips down the Yukon only happen in the summer, so that sort of work is seasonal. There are a few businesses in town, but not enough to employ the people in town. Just look at the number of job openings in Nenana, and that will tell you the rest of the story.

I do agree with you about some of the stuff written at Wiki, but the stuff is written by people from Nenana, too. All you have to do is to register at Wiki, and correct or clarify some of the stuff written by others. I also stand corrected about the education to the age of 12. I should have said K-12, instead.

This is the Nenana page, but again, it does not show much about Nenana:
http://www.auriuswebdesign.com/sites...businesses.htm
And this one is for the School District:
http://nenanasd.org/default.aspx (broken link)

Last edited by RayinAK; 08-28-2011 at 05:27 PM..

Old 08-28-2011, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Quote:
If the school system employs the most in town year round, and a group of people work at Clear military installation, all it means is that most are government workers. The trips down the Yukon only happen in the summer, so that sort of work is seasonal. There are a few businesses in town, but not enough to employ the people in town. Just look at the number of job openings in Nenana, and that will tell you the rest of the story.

I do agree with you about some of the stuff written at Wiki, but the stuff is written by people from Nenana, too. All you have to do is to register at Wiki, and correct or clarify some of the stuff written by others. I also stand corrected about the education to the age of 12. I should have said K-12, instead.

This is the Nenana page, but again, it does not show much about Nenana:
And this one is for the School District:
Home (http://nenanasd.org/default.aspx - broken link)
I doubt anyone that lives in Nenana wrote any of that, the school systems has been there for decades...

There was however about twenty+ years ago the Yukon-Koyakuck School District that covered much of those River Districts, it had a bunch of offices and a boarding school just South of the Nenana Airport, they pulled up and moved to Fairbanks into new offices because the Nenana ones were exFAA buildings and not "Classie".

But they were totally separate from the Nenana School District.

Last edited by starlite9; 08-28-2011 at 09:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska