Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 12:51 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
some people have to work year round to have health insurance as it is way too expensive otherwise not to mention saving for the day one can't work...retirement also!
Oh, I'm not questioning why people work year round or at all, Blue; of course people have to work. What I'm wondering though, in discussions of Pebble and other projects...why the year round jobs they may provide seem to be presented as a more desirable option than what they would replace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearlessfemme View Post
I think many people would like to work seasonally (I know I would) but aren't in a career where it is possible. I would much prefer to have time off to travel, explore, read... I work for the federal government, and it has security and benefits, but not nearly the flexibility to work seasonally (at least not with what I do)...

Think you can teach me to fish, and set me on a different path in life? I'd give it a whirl!
Good points, but I'm not really asking why more people don't work seasonally; I understand perfectly that for most people it isn't possible. I'm asking why it's tossed like a bone to those in Bristol Bay who may lose their livelihoods if the Pebble Mine goes through.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:01 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,109,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Oh, I'm not questioning why people work year round or at all, Blue; of course people have to work. What I'm wondering though, in discussions of Pebble and other projects...why the year round jobs they may provide seem to be presented as a more desirable option than what they would replace.

Capitalism mostly is based upon merging the desires of the individual to (home heat food) to the needs of the business (profit for the same). Subsistence lifestyles have traditionally given way to migrations for work in cities (year round) in all industrialized nations.

When oil ends (or begins to) we will most likely see the opposite where local jobs and local control replace full time work away from home. By 2200 it will be like it was in the 16th century with local farms local fish local law enforcement are the rule.

Naturally the industrialized wealthy will resist and hoard resources. So the full time job working for someone else producing something made from oil will become less frequent and eventually end as the end of oil nears.

Anyone who does not see coming is not observing reality, so take heart Met, yours is the way of the future.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:02 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,109,199 times
"clean coal"....they will say anything.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:12 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,716,892 times
I'm curious to know how many of the Bristol Bay locals will actually HAVE a job if Pebble Mine comes to be. Not that many Delta Junction locals work at Pogo Mine, most are from out of town and out of state.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
I'm curious to know how many of the Bristol Bay locals will actually HAVE a job if Pebble Mine comes to be. Not that many Delta Junction locals work at Pogo Mine, most are from out of town and out of state.
Yes, there's that too. Does Pogo make much of an effort to advertise/hire locally?

Old 08-22-2011, 01:34 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,633,582 times
Working conditions in mines like Pogo are probably pretty difficult. Add that to the remoteness of most mines, and I'd guess the worker turnover rate is fairly high.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:25 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,865,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Personally I can't imagine anything more godawful than a year round job.
Amen

Old 08-22-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Never heard of coyote pee. Heard of Ms. Pee but not coyote pee.

But alas, it does exist.....Raise a glass Met!

Predator Urine - Free Shipping- Coyote urine, fox, wolf, urines, bobcat pee, Animal, Pet , Attractants, Boot Waterproofing

Who knew?
Why the f would anyone want to buy predator urine online and more importantly why do you know about this?

So would predator urine perhaps be useful to sprinkle around the garden to keep the deer away?

Old 08-22-2011, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
You do understand most people work year round?
You do understand that I'm not referring to most people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska