Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 06:05 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,239,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
How about a brief comment on the MILLIONS of INNOCENT CHILDREN MURDERED through abortion ... in this country ???

All because of some 'outdated' obselte manuscript that says "thou shalt not kill! The command to "teach your children" has now been replaced with - murder! and it is accepted without question!!
Your little book has nothing to do with the killing of a Polar Bear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 06:07 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,429,236 times
Quote:
oh what a shame the bear had to suffer that long before dying from being shot .. .. .. .. ..!

Oh Please... wake up to reality! I think many people in this country are now officially brain dead!! A bear threatens people - gets shot and dies.

How about a brief comment on the MILLIONS of INNOCENT CHILDREN MURDERED through abortion ... in this country ???

All because of some 'outdated' obselte manuscript that says "thou shalt not kill! The command to "teach your children" has now been replaced with - murder! and it is accepted without question!!

Oh you sound so pathetic !!! .. the poor bear! My dear you have truly lost any sign of a conscience!!
I DON'T like cruelty of any kind. Especially to children and the elderly who can't defend themselves, as well as to those less fortunate. Cruelty is cruelty...yes the bear would have eaten a human if he had the chance but there was no reason to let it suffer.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:20 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,728,690 times
Quote:
oh what a shame the bear had to suffer that long before dying from being shot .. .. .. .. ..!

Oh Please... wake up to reality! I think many people in this country are now officially brain dead!! A bear threatens people - gets shot and dies.

Oh you sound so pathetic !!! .. the poor bear! My dear you have truly lost any sign of a conscience!!
take this argument to the religous forum...brain dead are the people who want to have a say in what goes on other peoples choice of life...when you all want to sign up legally and give more than 25% of your earned moneys to support children and oh...also take them in an raise them...then you can have a say...again take it to the religious forum....an your little book is not bible for everyone.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:23 PM

20 posts, read 36,980 times
Quote:

Have u been hitting the sauce Sity? Or hitting something a little greener perhaps? All she said was that it was a shame the bear had to suffer, and suddenly you're writing about abortion (in big letters no less), calling people brain dead in big red letters, and then ending your rant by calling a woman pathetic. (With multiple exclamation points for effect). Get a grip and stay on the topic that YOU started about a polar bear. Isn't there a forum on here for religion?

Old 08-25-2011, 06:30 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,728,690 times
oh an by the way Sity.....polar bears are becoming extinct due to climate changes....certain races of people on this earth breed like rabbits...duhhhhhh~ no shortage there....

do believe this is called fishing and trolling as he started the thread then switches to a rant of abortion~

Old 08-25-2011, 06:40 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,875,072 times
wow... I'm surprise Sity... no one said anything about killing innocent unborn children here.. the topic wasn't abortion was it? Blue is right.. the polar bear is an endangered species and no living creature deserves to suffer due to a "mistake" made by the hands of a human being.

yes I or anyone could have been eaten by the bear.. no one is disputing that at all..

Old 08-25-2011, 06:45 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,091,022 times
Quote:

Why don't you just say what you really feel.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:29 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Things happen. It's difficult to tell the full story since there is an ongoing investigation on the shooting. And to those of you who don't know it, polar bears are a protected species in Alaska, but hunting them is legal in Canada. And no, "climate change" (global warming, really) is something that happens every 13K years or so to earth. If animals and plants can't adapt, they all perish. In the case of polar bears, some scientific studies from Canada suggest that these animals are the descendants of brown/grizzly bears. If through several generations they can't adapt to a lack of ice, then they just die. But more than likely, some will just forage on land and survive. In relation to global warming and polar bears in Alaska, their number has not decreased, but increased in recent years.

Last edited by RayinAK; 08-25-2011 at 08:45 PM..

Old 08-25-2011, 09:38 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,911,827 times
Default The voice of experience.

I completed one of my biology graduate degrees out on the Beaufort Sea in Canada studying the interaction of free-ranging polar bears with workers and the physical buildings of offshore drilling platforms operated by Esso Resources Canada, Dome Petroleum, PetroCanada & Shell Oil. The bears in the winter are generally starving, and the sub-adults (the teenager version of pb's) can be very aggressive. This bear was probably acting persistently aggressive, and we don't know the full story about how he reacted to the security person.

You have to have faced down a few of these bears in the Arctic to understand that it's hard enough to stay completely "calm and cool" in the face of such a threat. We humans have a pretty natural reaction to the arrival of such a large carnivorous predator, and it ain't all hugs and cuddles, I can tell you.

I worked with well over 300 different bears to try to "teach" them to move along, but the smells and sounds of a rig or human activity is very tempting to them, esp. if they are hungry. and once they get it into their intelligent minds to investigate the scene, there's not to much you can do about it. I was mostly successful, but there were those 3 bears that charged without warning, and that I had to kill, else they'd have had me or dinner.

Shooting them is an unfortunate last-ditch option in many of these cases, but the oil companies also recognize the current extremely high political profile such shootings carry, and they all have worked hard for years to find ways to minimize such events.

In my case, way back in the early '80s, they funded a lot of independent university work to minimize such occurrences. Give them a break. If you think you could have done so much better, then you probably just don't understand the situation!

Oh, and BTW, don't believe everything you hear or read on the liberal media. Polar bears are NOT currently going extinct. Yep; interactions with humans have increased, and there's some indication of earlier ice pack melts, but let's let the science work it out, and not leave it up to the court of wildly uneducated public opinion, OK? The continuing polar bear hunts in Canada speaks to the tenacity of the species at present. If they were going extinct, do you think there would be hunting allowed?

Old 08-26-2011, 12:26 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,560,763 times
Because of the screwed up laws regarding the Polar Bear and it being listed as endangered. I doubt anyone in their right mind in the Oil Field wanted to be the person that put the bear out of it's misery. They could have been charged for shooting it. Even this Guard isn't out of the hot water yet either, I have no doubt that he will be charged regardless of what the circumstances were, that is just how nuts the system is there!

This year, the guys I worked with there on the boats aren't even allow to take photos of the Polar Bears or they will be fired. Tell me how stupid that rule is!

I dear say that if the guard shot the bear with a cracker round, even accidentally, it was from less than 25 feet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska