Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 12:08 AM

45 posts, read 117,635 times

Advertisements

I'll try to ask this question again. Apparently either Alaska is not as friendly to people trying to migrate in to their state, or a lot of people on these forums representing the Alaska side are not. I attempted to ask this question before, and I got what I believe was ridicule and mockery.

I would assume that the majority of trees growing in Alaska (if not all) are pine? Having grown up with a wood burning stove I have always been under the belief that you are not supposed to burn pine, as it can cause chimney fires, do the the creosote that builds up.

Is there some way that Alaskan residents know how to work around this? Maybe with some kind of special lining used on their chimneys? Or is it just common practice to clean their chimneys on a more frequent basis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 12:13 AM

80 posts, read 108,528 times
I'm not from Alaska, but cured pine doesn't create creosote any more than any other wood, and the real reason pine is so undesireable is that it doesn't burn long as opposed to red fir or larch. creosote is caused from poor burning habits such as burning unseasoned wood and also turning the stove down right after loading it. The key is to keep a nice hot burning fir with well seasoned wood, and if you must turn the stove down, wait until the wood has been charred first, as this will cook out the resins.

Old 08-28-2011, 12:30 AM

Ah, I see. Thank you so much! So, if I season the wood for a year to three years (I've always heard that wood seasoned for three years burns best? Is this true? ) then I should not have much a problem?

I appreciate the feedback. Thank you so much.

Old 08-28-2011, 12:47 AM

80 posts, read 108,528 times
All depends on whether you split it, or leave it in rounds, put it in a shed or in the open air and so on, but 3 years is well enough time irregardless. I go one year generally, but I split my wood and leave it stacked outside for the year then it gets warehoused! I have over 3 years firewood stocked up so if anything happens to me or whatever, I'm keeping warm at least, even if I starve, at least I'll die warm! What kind of stove you running?

Old 08-28-2011, 01:40 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,560,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_the_fart_guy View Post
I'll try to ask this question again. Apparently either Alaska is not as friendly to people trying to migrate in to their state, or a lot of people on these forums representing the Alaska side are not. I attempted to ask this question before, and I got what I believe was ridicule and mockery.

I would assume that the majority of trees growing in Alaska (if not all) are pine? Having grown up with a wood burning stove I have always been under the belief that you are not supposed to burn pine, as it can cause chimney fires, do the the creosote that builds up.

Is there some way that Alaskan residents know how to work around this? Maybe with some kind of special lining used on their chimneys? Or is it just common practice to clean their chimneys on a more frequent basis?
Well sorry if you don't take the humor well, but it was good natured.

The primary wood that people in the interior is spruce and birch. Both of which can produce a lot of creosote in your chimney and cause stack fires which account to a lot of the house fires in Alaska.

You really need to cut, split and stack them a year to let them dry out and season well. Then when you do burn them, you want to get the fire hot every time you stoke up the fire, this will keep the stack clean. Having said that, you also want to clean the stack annually to ensure it isn't an issue. I use coal mostly now and that burns hotter and longer than wood and a lot cheaper.

Some woods have so much water in them like cottonwood and Aspen, they don't put off much heat, but instead just smolder. If you cut and stack them to cure, they are so wet they tend to rot faster than dry out.

Birch will also burn hot when green, it is our only real hardwood of sorts in Alaska. When it is green though, it puts out a lot of creosote and if left smoldering, will plug up a stack fairly fast, so keep your fire Hot!

Pine cones burn just fine in a wood stove as well, they just pop a lot!

Old 08-28-2011, 02:34 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,855,832 times
Pine is very uncommon in most of Alaska.

Old 08-28-2011, 03:28 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,560,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Pine is very uncommon in most of Alaska.
Any cones then, mostly we have small Spruce and Tamarack.

Old 08-28-2011, 03:50 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,875,072 times
Yes Starlite... I've made the mistake with pine only once... sounded like a freight train running up the chimney stack and almost caught my roof on fire... thank god for fast action and the long garden hose.. ended up with a new stack and carpeting on that one... I use cones in an outdoor campfire... quite entertaining ..

Old 08-28-2011, 06:57 AM

6,994 posts, read 12,728,690 times
In New England....we dry and use pine pitch coated wood for kindling (fat pine wood) not sure of the Indian spelling......learned from the native Indian's many many decades ago...they now sell an artificial stuff called Phat Wood. Many Maple Syrup Boilers use pine slabs for boiling fires....lots of people burn really really dry wood...throw in a beer can or powdered aluminum in the fire every so often to clean out creosote....

Old 08-28-2011, 10:23 AM

Thumbs up Thank you.

Thank you all so much for the wonderful feedback. I'll need to study up on how to look at a tree and determine what kind it is.

Does that beer can trick really work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska