Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 03:18 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,948,962 times

Advertisements

We prearranged with one motel for our 100lb pooch. Since we'd called ahead to make reservations and ask beforehand, they made special arrangements (i.e. we got the crappiest room in the back LOL) and negotiated an additional refundable deposit in addition to their regular non-refundable pet fee just in case she demolished anything. IME most of the smaller Mom & Pop places are willing to make these types of arrangements than the larger chains with "official" policies.

But, we have, unfortunately, had to leave her in the truck overnight once or twice because we got stuck somewhere and no motels would let her in At least we didn't have to worry about anyone stealing the truck or our stuff -- well the stuff she hadn't chewed up first that is LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 03:29 PM

30,261 posts, read 23,746,924 times
Moving from Seattle to Texas and then to FL and then FL to Maine, I have used a lot of hotels.

Super 8, for sure. Also, Holiday Inn. They didn't even ask to see the pets, they just took my word for it that I had two dogs. (Which I did.) Didn't care about their size or anything. Try one of those. If I remember correctly, Holiday Inn gave me back my deposit.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:45 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,948,962 times
Super 8 in Fairbanks absolutely refuses to let my pooch in the door, they won't even negotiate, and they even give me grief for my featherweight cat (despite "pet friendly" policy)... so not all are created equal. CALL AHEAD!!

Old 08-30-2011, 04:09 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,250,164 times
While traveling through the lower 48, KOA Kabins are a great cheap way to stay. They allow dogs, the kabins (that's the way they spell it) are really nice and clean.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:28 PM

468 posts, read 800,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
Super 8 in Fairbanks absolutely refuses to let my pooch in the door, they won't even negotiate, and they even give me grief for my featherweight cat (despite "pet friendly" policy)... so not all are created equal. CALL AHEAD!!
Most of the pet friendly places in Fairbanks get pretty disgusting reviews on TripAdvisor. I wonder if I could ship the dogs ahead from Fairbanks. It sure would make traveling to the village a lot easier. Right now, I am not sure how I am going to make with 2 dogs, a cooler, bags, a child with disabilities and the adapted jogging stroller we use.

Currently booked up to Tok! Thanks for all of the help and links!

Old 09-03-2011, 03:46 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,855,137 times
Hope you're having a good trip and drive safe!

Old 09-04-2011, 04:29 PM

468 posts, read 800,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
Hope you're having a good trip and drive safe!
We are having a great trip, so far. Thanks! Tonight we are in Fort Nelson. Tomorrow we have brutal day to Whitehorse. I will be out of here as soon as it is light out...I know, I know...no driving between Fort Nelson and Watson Lake in the dark!

Old 09-04-2011, 08:55 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,740,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunabell View Post
We are having a great trip, so far. Thanks! Tonight we are in Fort Nelson. Tomorrow we have brutal day to Whitehorse. I will be out of here as soon as it is light out...I know, I know...no driving between Fort Nelson and Watson Lake in the dark!
awesome! safe travels and glad to see you are heeding the warnings of no driving in the dark between Fort Nelson and Watson Lake...besides you want to see all the critters along the way...not run them over!

Old 11-14-2011, 09:18 PM

1 posts, read 625 times
KOA's are all mostly dog friendly.
Also check out www.2travelingdogs.com
We moved cross country from Florida to California

Old 11-15-2011, 09:32 PM

879 posts, read 1,732,199 times
I travel often with my dog, all over the west coast of the US, and so pet friendly places are a must. I have never had one place ask me how much he weighs, nor refuse us. That's good, because he's 145 pounds at last vet visit. Most never see him because we're leaving so early in the morning, but just smile when they do, wanting to pet him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska