Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 08:03 AM

468 posts, read 800,387 times

Advertisements

I have never traveled with my dogs before. I am finding a lot of places have a 50 lb limit. Do hotels pay close attention to that? One is 55 lbs, so I think she will slip under the radar. The other one, however, is 78 lbs. He also is the calmer of the two and because of his coloring looks like he is old. Both are lab mixes, so not particularly threatening, unless you are scared of having to pet them until you die. I just don't know what to do.

Can't believe I am nailing down these details 24 hours before I hit the road for good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 08:21 AM

200 posts, read 287,673 times
Hi Lunabell! I don't know anything about the dog limit thing but wanted to wish you the best of luck and safe travels. I am so excited for you and your family!!! Saying a little prayer for a safe journey

Old 08-30-2011, 08:35 AM

Thanks so much! Good luck with your trip too. What an adventure for you, as well!

Old 08-30-2011, 08:35 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,755,351 times
Google "pet-friendly hotels." We have traveled back & forth from NM to Alaska with our dog & cats. We call the day before to get reservations as we travel. Usually we have to pay a pet fee, although sometimes there is none.

We've had good luck with Motel 6, Comfort Inn, etc.

We also travel with a Milepost to call ahead in Canada. We get one of those phones for Canada at a gas station or quick shop.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:42 AM

2,758 posts, read 5,291,368 times
I've stayed at several Motel 6's with my 50 and 60-lb. lab mixes and I've never had anyone even ask what kind of dogs I had. I just leave them in the vehicle when I check in, and then bring them to the room.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:49 AM

6,424 posts, read 13,253,644 times
Alaska Hwy (Alcan Hwy)
Hotels - Alaska Hwy East
Camping - Alaska Hwy East
Hotels - Alaska Hwy West
Camping - Alaska Hwy West

This is from
DogFriendly.com® - Pet Travel Guides and City Guides for Dog/Pet Owners

Old 08-30-2011, 09:35 AM

89 posts, read 340,219 times
You may already know this but you need health certificate and shot records for your dogs to go in to Canada! There is a time limit on the health certificate. Last time we went with Dogs,we had a shell on the truck and dog crates. We did have to leave them in the truck a couple nights but I would walk them late and get up early and get them out! RV is the best way to travel with pets!

Old 08-30-2011, 09:51 AM

I have been checking the pet friendly sites for places and cross referencing with my Milepost. I think I am getting a handle on this. Thanks for the help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyboy View Post
You may already know this but you need health certificate and shot records for your dogs to go in to Canada! There is a time limit on the health certificate. Last time we went with Dogs,we had a shell on the truck and dog crates. We did have to leave them in the truck a couple nights but I would walk them late and get up early and get them out! RV is the best way to travel with pets!
Done and done. I have health certs, rabies certificates, shot records and a picture of each dog attached to their records. I can't fit the crates in the car with our stuff, so I bought harnesses with attachments for the seat belt to keep them in place. We also have problems crating one. She goes insane. We think someone improperly crated her before she came to us. Luckily the vet has seen her insanity in action, so he gave us a light sedative for the plane rides. I am buying crates in Fairbanks.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:34 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,548,795 times
I've had good luck with Super 8 in Canada. Some do have size limits, but usually they don't ask and I don't inquire. I do use a side entrance to get the dogs in and out instead of the main entrance. BTW, health certificates are an Alaska requirement. Rabies vaccination proof is what Canada requires, which is usually listed on the health certificate.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:24 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,440,564 times
We also used Super 8 and we have travelled to and from the lower 48 many times with 3 dogs. One dog is a good 75#. They never asked weight limits. Both in the U.S. and Canada we used Super 8's.
Expect to pay a deposit on each dog. Good luck in your travels.

BTW our dogs now recognize motels when we travel and can't wait to get inside and lay down lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska