Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 12:26 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,031,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Have you read it, Marty? Do you have boys in school?

Amazon.com: The War Against Boys: How Misguided Feminism Is Harming Our Young Men: Christina Hoff Sommers: Books

I know that some people have no choice but public school but those parents need to keep a sharp eye on them.
I read the book. I have a 14 yo son. He is home schooled. Skinning a rat for dissection as we speak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 12:28 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,540,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Recently I re-read J. Michener's novel about the Klondike Gold Rush that focused on people who tried to get to the gold fields from Edmonton. In the forward, Michener said that he had an interest in Canada because of what happened in Quebec when they made French the official second language. He said he saw the same thing happening in the southern U.S. at some point. The book was written in 1988.
I'll bet that if they do, you'll be required to learn Spanish while the Spanish speaking community won't be required to learn English.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:31 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,701,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
I'll bet that if they do, you'll be required to learn Spanish while the Spanish speaking community won't be required to learn English.

Well, I used to tutor ESL and the waiting list for Spanish speaking people to learn English was hundreds of names long. But I know what you mean.

Marty, will you be posting pics?

Old 04-15-2009, 01:24 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,651,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by Arcticthaw
"The biggest group of imigrants are lower 48ers."
15 years or so ago I used to spend some time talking with a friend in Wasilla named Tony who originally came from the Nevada area and has family in Arizona. California was trying to pass some kind of an anti-immigration proposition, and while talking about it I said something about immigrants historically being good for the country... and my friend Tony went into a rant.

He literally pounded his fist on the table, and adamantly stated his case:
"There is not enough room, there has never been enough room for these people. My family has fought tooth and nail to keep them out!"
In perspective, he was telling the truth. His grandfather rode with Geronimo.

Of course today I have a couple of granchildren who are part Pueblo, and their father's side all consider Apache's to be illegal immigrants who are just as bad as the more recent ones like myself.

Old 04-15-2009, 04:06 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,446,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I'd love to see illegal immigration cracked down on. However, even moreso, I'd love to see states flat out refuse to enforce or assist the feds in enforcing, any federal laws. So while it bugs me a state will make itself an illegal alien sanctuary, if the state goes to the next step along that line...

Interestingly, WA state recently lost a lawsuit over requiring but not issuing alien firearms licenses. Weird case really.
I would like to see the existing immigration laws enforced, both state and federal. If both the states and the feds went after US employers who knowingly hire illegal immigrants, we would not have such an issue with illegal immigration.

States are not compelled to enforce federal immigration law. They could have completely different laws, or no state laws regarding immigration at all. So if a State wanted to adopt a policy where State employees are not allowed to pass on information about the immigration status of someone to the feds (as in a "Sanctuary State"), that is within their constitutional right. I don't happen to agree with that course of action, but I cannot deny that they have the right to take such a position.

Old 04-15-2009, 04:10 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,846,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I would like to see the existing immigration laws enforced, both state and federal. If both the states and the feds went after US employers who knowingly hire illegal immigrants, we would not have such an issue with illegal immigration.

States are not compelled to enforce federal immigration law. They could have completely different laws, or no state laws regarding immigration at all. So if a State wanted to adopt a policy where State employees are not allowed to pass on information about the immigration status of someone to the feds (as in a "Sanctuary State"), that is within their constitutional right. I don't happen to agree with that course of action, but I cannot deny that they have the right to take such a position.
So if some states employers don't have to report illegal status, does that mean the I-9 paperwork employees have to fill out and have to be kept on file by the employer, with two pieces of legal ID if citizen, and work papers or whatever for immigrants, is not used in those sanctuary states?

Old 04-15-2009, 04:20 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,019,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
but I cannot deny that they have the right to take such a position.
Unless of course such positions are imposed by Liberal State Legislators and/or activist courts in direct contradiction to the expressed will of the voters.

Old 04-15-2009, 04:32 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,119,402 times

YouTube - Genesis - Illegal Alien

Old 04-15-2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
So if some states employers don't have to report illegal status, does that mean the I-9 paperwork employees have to fill out and have to be kept on file by the employer, with two pieces of legal ID if citizen, and work papers or whatever for immigrants, is not used in those sanctuary states?
I said "State employees", not state employers. Federal law requires private employers to verify a persons elligibility to work in the US before they employ them, as you said. Since it is a federal law, it doesn't matter whether a State is considered a "Sanctuary State" or not, the private employers must still adhere to federal law.

Old 04-15-2009, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
Unless of course such positions are imposed by Liberal State Legislators and/or activist courts in direct contradiction to the expressed will of the voters.
It is for the legislature to decide, not the people. We don't live in a democracy, thankfully. If the people don't like what the legislature decides, let them elect a new legislature, but the people should have no direct say in any state policy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska