Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2011, 10:14 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,878,100 times

Advertisements

Well... since I received my "Thanks but no Thanks" letter... and the fact that my daughter doesn't want to rent my home, I've decided to set a 10 month date for my DEFINITE move to Alaska.

I have my best friend that is wanting to move with me and that is the earliest she can make it so with our combine effort, we can get this house in shape for the real estate market, sell the house then move with a good bit of money to tie me over until I secure a job.

I do know now that there are jobs that I can find and it definitely will be easier if I can interview face to face. I will have enough money to pay any rent (mind you it will only be 1/2 the price with my friend) for a good while and the benefit of that is flexability. So the date will be sometime in June 2012.

I will keep my searching going and determine where my best chances are for work and if anything else, I can work any kind of job. I also know how to cut hair (still have my WI license) and fix computers (computer science major)... if anything else I can use these skills to barter...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 11:12 AM

200 posts, read 287,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturesdreams View Post
Well... since I received my "Thanks but no Thanks" letter... and the fact that my daughter doesn't want to rent my home, I've decided to set a 10 month date for my DEFINITE move to Alaska.

I have my best friend that is wanting to move with me and that is the earliest she can make it so with our combine effort, we can get this house in shape for the real estate market, sell the house then move with a good bit of money to tie me over until I secure a job.

I do know now that there are jobs that I can find and it definitely will be easier if I can interview face to face. I will have enough money to pay any rent (mind you it will only be 1/2 the price with my friend) for a good while and the benefit of that is flexability. So the date will be sometime in June 2012.

I will keep my searching going and determine where my best chances are for work and if anything else, I can work any kind of job. I also know how to cut hair (still have my WI license) and fix computers (computer science major)... if anything else I can use these skills to barter...
Hey ND! Do you have a contingency plan, you know, in case a job that fits your needs comes open before June? I am keeping my fingers crossed for you

Old 09-01-2011, 11:35 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,458,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturesdreams View Post

I wish you the best of luck. I also did not have a job or a place to stay when I first arrived in Alaska, but I did acquire both in short order. It can be scary venturing into the unknown, but sometimes it can be worth the risk.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:45 AM

StewnSue... I will still look at the jobs but applying may be another story... depends on how fantastic it is... I can always rent a room /share an apt with someone (rent around 450-500) and pay my mortgage until the home sells so the way things have been going... change constantly seems to be the norm... Great adventures for sure..

Glitch thank you for the good wishes... I know it will be worth it because I'm not going into this with any fantasies of an easy life... I thrive on the challenge... I am actually much more efficient with these challenges... keeps the heart pumping right

Old 09-01-2011, 08:26 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,513,195 times
Good on ya! Hopefully we can both fulfill our dreams in Alaska! I gave mine up once but not again. Hopefully I can make it back in a few months, probably spring. I'm going to be saving every dime until I can get back.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:46 AM

Thanks Wynternight... I wish you all the luck... even with setbacks you just have to change the plan and keep moving forward... I have my lists and keep plugging away... when I finally get there I can take a deep breath / not too long and start a new one ... hope to share a beer someday in Alaska with you and many others...

Old 09-03-2011, 05:48 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,522,496 times
I wish the best to you (and wynternight). Sounds like you have a plan and I hope it works out for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska