Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 01:14 PM

468 posts, read 799,128 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone! We are all having a great time being back together. Right now, I can only access the internet from the school. I tried my aircard, but that would cost me international (?) roaming charges. We are calling tomorrow to order internet for our apartment. If I don't respond very quickly, I am not ignoring anyone. I just really am not "around."

Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
Incredibly awesome photographs and a darn good photo essay. Welcome to the Arctic and I just know you are going to have a wonderful time!!
Thanks, Sity. It has been a fabulous new experience so far!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
Glad the flights were smooth! Nice pics...

Looks like you will have plenty of company while walking the dogs there.
Thanks! We have a regular entourage. The only time I am alone on a walk is at 6:30 am. I think I am the only one awake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
So glad you all made it safe and sound, and you are reunited with family!

You need to start a blog
I think you are right. We started one when we thought we would be apart, but that one no longer makes sense. I need to think of a cool name for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewnsue View Post
Yay for you! I am so happy that you made it through the flights and are with your family again I was thinking of you yesterday and hoping you had a safe journey. Thanks for posting the awesome pics. Your post made my morning on this otherwise sad day (9/11, of course). Best of luck to you and your family! I hope you all love it and enjoy your awesome family adventure!!
This is a sad day. I sat and watched CNN post the names of the people who lost their lives that day at the bottom of the screen. It was so sad to watch my friend's mom's name to show on that list. I am very glad to be with my family on this day. We lived a mile from the Pentagon on 9/11.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtgirl View Post
Luna, I'm glad everything worked out so well for you. Sorry we didn't a chance to get together while you were in Fairbanks. I hope your adventure continues down this merry path!
Maybe next time. We will coming through near Christmas and again in March. I hope your situation gets better there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 01:25 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,844,856 times
Wow, a mile from the Pentagon on 9/11?! That's way too close for comfort. You seem to have a lot of adventures and interesting experiences.

Your story is an inspiration for all the cheechakos like me out here who want to move to Alaska as well. Thanks for sharing, and please continue to update us on what life is like in Atqasuk. It seems like a very nice village, and it seems like the Natives there like you and your children, which is a great thing. Congratulations!

Old 09-11-2011, 01:55 PM

468 posts, read 799,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
Wow, a mile from the Pentagon on 9/11?! That's way too close for comfort. You seem to have a lot of adventures and interesting experiences.

Your story is an inspiration for all the cheechakos like me out here who want to move to Alaska as well. Thanks for sharing, and please continue to update us on what life is like in Atqasuk. It seems like a very nice village, and it seems like the Natives there like you and your children, which is a great thing. Congratulations!
Notice that we are about as far from DC as you can get and still be in the US... My husband and I grew up in Northern Virginia. We have slowly been moving west since 9/11 and we sometimes wonder if that is part of the reason. Though I don't think we ever envisioned that we would end up this far away!

I am very happy that my kids have been accepted. They are the only non-Native children in the village and they are having a wonderful time!

Old 09-11-2011, 02:05 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,515,104 times
If you can, I am interested to know your thoughts on the educational system in AK as compared to the lower 48. Since it sounds like you have moved around alot, I am hoping that you have a few places to compare to?

Deep down, being a mile away from the Pentagon during 9-11 may have influenced your choices sub-consciously that led you to AK.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:23 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,560,763 times
Glad your trip was uneventfull other than a bit bumpy at the end! Your arriving safely wasn't in doubt, and glad you took lots of photos, seems that may have kept you busy during the flight!

Enjoy your time there, you will meet a lot of really nice people!

Old 09-11-2011, 10:29 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,875,072 times
Oh welcome home... I love the pictures too... looks like everyone is enjoying theirselves... can't wait to read and see more.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:35 AM

1 posts, read 667 times
Default Coming there...what is it like now

This is an older thread, but very helpful with the photos. What is the town like now? There is a new store, but what else? I am not new to AK, but am new to the North Slope. Any ideas or comments would be appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska