Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 06:18 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,716,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
Last time I went through they all accepted debit/credit. But be sure & call your bank and let them know you'll be using them in Canada. One time my bank's fraud department shut the cards down. It was a Friday afternoon and they were closed for the weekend.
I also agree 10000% with this statement. Wells Fargo is notorious for shutting off your card once you enter Canada. It' makes for a real pain in the Arse to get them to fix it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 06:27 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,740,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
I still have about 50 loonies and what ever the $2 is called, that the bank wont take.
Though I live close to the border, so I'm sure I'll use them sometime.
over our way in Quebec they are still called Loonies and they want them as they are worth a heck of a lot more now!...I still have about 30 of 'em plus some old paper moneys that each time we go into Canada I check what the value is....gonna hang onto them...still got some bears that were made wrong where the center pops out! they were paying big to get those back years ago....

Old 09-14-2011, 06:12 AM

200 posts, read 287,580 times
Thank you everyone for the replies. I will stop and exchange some money at a bank in Canada once we cross the border. Great idea about using up the last of it to pay for gas before crossing over into Alaska!
I will DEFINITELY let our bank know of our travels. We have been shut down using our debit cards more than once in our travels! (Once even after calling them and letting them know we would be out of town!)

Old 09-14-2011, 11:11 AM

157 posts, read 240,525 times
I had made the mistake of traveling with travelers checks, not every place in Canada would take them and when I went to the bank to exchange them, I had to pay a fee. I really lost money on that whole deal, but live and learn. Also, I was able to take money from an ATM in Canada, but was charged an extra fee.

Good luck and enjoy the travel. It's a wonderful adventure! I think I will do it again next summer.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:31 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,547,268 times
The easiest way to exchange money is to use an ATM on the Canadian side. Also, be aware that U.S. credit cards don't always work at the pump. We had to go inside to pay for gas at some locations.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:23 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,137,109 times
All of the Shell stations consider US Credit Cards as foreign, you'll have to bring the card inside to pay. Most of the FAS stations take cards, they have a little cash back deal.

Litre Log

Old 09-15-2011, 03:14 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,522,496 times
I have used Amex in Canada without any problems. And my one mastercard. Funny thing is that Mastercard charged fees and had a worse exchange rate than the Amex card... I did find in Ontario that everplace I went took US Currency.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:58 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,183,899 times
Also check your bank. My wonderful bank charges now (take over) 2% in fees for use in Canada. I have found a majority of gas stations you have to go inside to pay. So if after hours don't plan on going any where. Especially if on Cassier. In past they gave change in Canadian for US dollars. Be interesting to see what they do this time. Going opposite same time see you on your way.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:34 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,694,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountrygal View Post
Especially if on Cassier.
True that!! I hate sleeping in the back of my truck just cause the gas station closed 25 minutes before I got there.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:24 PM

200 posts, read 287,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
True that!! I hate sleeping in the back of my truck just cause the gas station closed 25 minutes before I got there.
We are not planning on taking the Cassier route this time, just staying on the ALCAN. Definitely going to get money exchanged though. Sounds like the banks and the credit card companies are making out like bandits!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska