Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 11:18 PM

12 posts, read 63,648 times

Advertisements

Where do you live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 11:47 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,286,577 times
I like Fairbanks a lot more than the Anchorage/Valley area. Too many people in the Anchorage area, and I forget what state I'm in much more easily there. I'd say the scenery and wildlife (because you're closer to the water and mountains) are better in Southcentral, but Fairbanks is just such a nicer place to be.

Old 10-01-2011, 10:07 AM

460 posts, read 608,941 times
On the Iditarod Trail.

Old 10-01-2011, 01:38 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,858,131 times
Definitely Palmer or Fairbanks over Wasilla.

Between Palmer and Fairbanks IMO it comes down to taste. To me Palmer feels like a big suburb; I don't think I'd like living there. But the things that rub me the wrong way about it are the same things that some other people like.

Old 10-01-2011, 03:22 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,019,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Definitely Palmer or Fairbanks over Wasilla.

Between Palmer and Fairbanks IMO it comes down to taste. To me Palmer feels like a big suburb; I don't think I'd like living there. But the things that rub me the wrong way about it are the same things that some other people like.
If it came down to Fairbanks vs Palmer, I would choose Fairbanks. For no other reason than I could eat at Pagoda every day!

Old 10-01-2011, 03:31 PM

886 posts, read 5,714,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
If it came down to Fairbanks vs Palmer, I would choose Fairbanks. For no other reason than I could eat at Pagoda every day!
Pagoda is horrible!! I have eaten there twice now and I will never set foot back in there.

Old 10-01-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usafracer View Post
Pagoda is horrible!! I have eaten there twice now and I will never set foot back in there.
OK, so you obviously know nothing about Chinese food.

Old 10-01-2011, 04:05 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,846,192 times
Based on what I've heard from people, I bet you could make a killing if you opened up an authentic Mexican restaurant in the interior. I hear there's a serious lack of that up there. I've just recently become enlightened to just how good REAL Mexican food is, and anyone in their right mind would love it.

Now I'm sure someone will come along and tell me how wrong I am about that and that there's great Mexican food all over Alaska.

Old 10-01-2011, 04:30 PM

You could make a "killing" opening up a good "authentic" restaurant of just about any kind. Alaska is seriously lacking in quality ethnic food restaurants of any type (though Mexican is probably one of the best represented). Most of the Chinese restaurants up here are the fake, westernized buffet types. Pagoda is probably the closest to authentic Chinese in Alaska, and they do the business to prove it.

Old 10-01-2011, 07:59 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,286,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
Alaska is seriously lacking in quality ethnic food restaurants of any type (though Mexican is probably one of the best represented).
Que? Well, let me know where some of those quality Mexican joints are some time. I've only tried Gallo's, which was depressingly bad and rather expensive, and just resigned myself to looking forward to trips home for any good Mexican/Tex-Mex/Southwestern food that doesn't come from my own kitchen. I'd love to find just a good taco joint in Anchorage or Fairbanks.

There is some really good Thai food around, though. I especially like Pad Thai on College in Fairbanks, and Tok Thai Food in Glennallen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska