Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 12:42 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,829,023 times

Advertisements

I believe it's all due to cow flatulence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 02:15 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,847,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
It would make for some awesome snowmachining and skiing!
Lol, yep, until everyone's food stockpiles run out because they can't even grow crops here in the Southeast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunabell View Post
Due to what? I have read about colder temps due to the lack of solar activity or the climate warming so much that is shuts down the gulf stream, which would cause an ice age. I am just wondering what these scientists think. Serious inquiry-I love reading about this kind of stuff.
You know, I'm gonna need to take the time and find these folks. I can't remember what their names were or where this webpage was, so it could take a bit, but I'll look. I was kinda taken aback when I first read it because it's so believable. But there's not a whole lot of background info on these guys, so they could be quacks.

Old 10-21-2011, 02:21 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,829,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
Lol, yep, until everyone's food stockpiles run out because they can't even grow crops here in the Southeast!
And that is why we have spam. And twinkies.

Old 10-21-2011, 05:37 AM

4,320 posts, read 4,785,487 times
and... of course ... PhotoTrons. Fruits, vegtables, you can grow anything in one of those units.

Old 10-21-2011, 06:03 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,877,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
I believe it's all due to cow flatulence.
Yes... the darn cow population here in Wisconsin certainly adds to that Rance... LOL

Old 10-21-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
and... of course ... PhotoTrons. Fruits, vegtables, you can grow anything in one of those units.
Not when your power doesn't work because there's 100 pounds of ice hanging from your powerlines and your generator is frozen solid.

Still haven't found that link, but I hope the sea ice doesn't completely go to pieces... I had hoped to someday walk out on it.

Old 10-21-2011, 12:20 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,511,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
Not when your power doesn't work because there's 100 pounds of ice hanging from your powerlines and your generator is frozen solid.

Still haven't found that link, but I hope the sea ice doesn't completely go to pieces... I had hoped to someday walk out on it.
Been there, done that. Was hard work going about half a mile onto the ice.

Old 10-21-2011, 12:39 PM

Hard work I'm sure, but surely you found it rewarding when you turned and looked in all directions and soaked it all in and felt the wind in your face? I know when I go to extremely flat places, I love that feeling of flatness. It is unique. And talk about unique: walking around on the frozen ocean! Now THAT's unique! And okay, maybe this is a silly ass question, but can you feel the ocean currents under your feet? Any sort of movement? I just think walking around on the frozen ocean would be a once-in-a-lifetime experience that I would never miss if I ever somehow got the chance to go out there. 'Course, with how much work it is breaking trail, I'm sure they'll take people willing to help out there and put em to work.

Old 10-21-2011, 12:43 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturesdreams View Post
Yes... the darn cow population here in Wisconsin certainly adds to that Rance... LOL
More people should come to WI and smell our Dairy Air.

Old 10-21-2011, 01:31 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,785,487 times
Living / walking / riding on the ice... is SOLID ground. No.. you will never feel anything; the currents under the ice do not move the ice .. up & down.

They can however cause that ice pack to drift over time; that is why markers are placed to see (over along distance) which way that ice is moving.

You can stand and jump up and down all you want. It is solid. UNTIL you might come to a thin area. Pokes are always used .. you never know - when that next step will take you through the ice. NOTHING is ever taken for granted.

Of course.
When you first step out on the ice, from land, It is solid land fast ice. It is very thick for the first few miles. The further out you go, the thinner it can become. The lead will show you how thick the ice is your standing on. 6' thick or upwards of 10' or more. Depending on how cold is.

Last edited by SityData; 10-21-2011 at 01:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska