Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 12:59 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,567,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gennaver View Post
The only thing I've ever seen that even come close to the hospitality of Ranchers and Farmers here in TX is very close neighbors in a tight nit urban 'Neighborhood' and even still that doesn't come close! If AK and TX have that in common then I consider myself very lucky. Although, I know already that my visit in AK will likely be limited to 3 years. As someone who was born and raised and lived 41 years in a wet-cold winter-climate I do not think my 'bones' will want to spend the rest of my years feeling the aches each time the barometric pressure lowers. Wait, is that only in wet-cold areas!? Wouldn't that be great!
Jen
Well the interior is very dry, it gets much colder than the coastal towns, but it is a very dry cold in the winter... Much warmer in the summers too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 10:57 AM

97 posts, read 147,640 times
Making me homesick!!!!!

My husband and I came to Alaska after fighting tooth and nail with the military to get there.
Immediately we fell in love. The mountains, the wildlife, the auroras, the people, the weather, everything.
In fact prior to us moving to Alaska we never wanted to have children but being in Alaska changed our minds. We had our son in 05 in Anchorage.
I tell him all the time he's my little Alaska baby.

I will return back to Alaska. I will see my home that I still own in Fairbanks. I will return back to the golden heart city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
I guess I would like to say what "Being Alaskan" to me is about. I hear people saying "I'm more Alaskan than you"... who cares... I have welcomed thousands of folks here to Alaska, many on this forum.

There are people that first step foot in Alaska and love it with all their heart and soul and never want to leave, they are new Alaskans

Others come here and can't get out fast enough... and I hope the door doesn't hit them on the way out

There are some that have lived their entire life in Alaska and can't see the beauty of it, which is just sad.

Others come here as a place to work, put up with it's distractions to make a living and want to retire and leave, those are just fancy whores.

Some come here and are forced to leave because of things that they can't control and their heart never leaves, but they are still Alaskans.

There are those that come here with an agenda driven reason to save us and never took the time to learn about Alaska, it's history and to see what they are saving, they are just clueless and driven by someone else's values like sheep.

Having said that, being "Alaskan" is a frame of mind, you either have it or you don't. When the Northern Lights are out, I dress up in Arctic gear and sit outside in sub zero temps and the quiet to watch the show, done it for a lot of decades and can't get enough of them. That alone I guess makes me kinda odd...

I like to sit down by the lakefront on a foggy fall morning and watch the migration of birds come and go and listen to their calls as they get ready for a new day or the moose calling looking for a mate.

Flying in the early morning when the sun rises is beyond description as it bounces off the snow capped mountains, just pulling on the control yoke to leave the ground is a rush, never have gotten over it.

Hearing wolves howl in the early evening is music.

Seeing a Polar Bear inches away from your face as he peers in though a window while working in the oil fields

Taking someone to pan for gold and seeing their face light up when they first see "Color" in the black sand.

Having a job that pays well and being home is great! (Home being anywhere in Alaska)

I've got to watch Seals being chased down and eaten by Orca's, and watched bears chase salmon down streams, Whales breaching the water and splash down with the force of a bomb, that is Alaska to me.

What I don't like is people that come here and don't want to start a new life, they come to make it like "Their" home elsewhere. Or can't grasp that Alaska is unlike anywhere else on the Planet. We have been mining for gold, silver, fur and other items here longer than much of the history of the United States, it was just done by the Russians first in about 1648, while America was under British rule. Yet with all this activity, Alaska is still a fantastic place to be at, and still we get people that think we need to be saved... We do, mostly from those than can't understand what Alaska is about. All our activity is regulated by the State to preserve it as good as we found it.

One Earthquake here can do more damage than a hundred Pebble mines are claimed to be able to do, and yet you can't find any of the earth quake damage now if you don't know where to look. Volcano's will wipe out entire regions in min's. The Mines in the Copper River were not as big as Pebble mine will/may be, but they showed no restraint in dumping thousands of tons of highly toxic waste directly into the water shed, yet the Copper River Reds are some of the highest priced Salmon in the World. The State of Alaska has some of the most highly regulated mining laws around to ensure that nothing like the Copper River pollutions would be ever matched again. Yet I keep hearing how the new tree huggers are going to save us... by basically destroying what made Alaska, "Alaska"....

Alaskans all care about Alaska, they also know that Alaska won't be the same if it is locked up by people that don't have a clue of it's history.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:35 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,567,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamtbell View Post
Making me homesick!!!!!

My husband and I came to Alaska after fighting tooth and nail with the military to get there.
Immediately we fell in love. The mountains, the wildlife, the auroras, the people, the weather, everything.
In fact prior to us moving to Alaska we never wanted to have children but being in Alaska changed our minds. We had our son in 05 in Anchorage.

I will return back to Alaska. I will see my home that I still own in Fairbanks. I will return back to the golden heart city.

Well I hope you can make it back in due time to your home!

Old 12-05-2011, 03:24 PM

34 posts, read 52,844 times
Thanks Freezengirl and Starlite for the reps. Epsilon...

Old 12-05-2011, 06:40 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,429,204 times
I'm one of these ...
Attached Thumbnails
An Alaskan.....-280180_10150686437540183_885720182_19377315_3382397_o.jpg  

Old 12-05-2011, 08:00 PM

104 posts, read 180,184 times
I have been told that I need to go back to Alaska since I talk about it so much. I guess I am trying to make the state I am in like Alaska. I dunno I miss the life up there and I will get back up there one day.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:16 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,884,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamtbell View Post
Making me homesick!!!!!

I know how hard it is to miss Alaska-spent 25 years that way....

Old 12-06-2011, 12:32 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,429,204 times
The same lass that does the Alaska transplant t-shirts also does these ...
Alaska Wannabe
Attached Thumbnails
An Alaskan.....-210943_266483603404358_182703491782370_893821_1311992401_o.jpg  

Old 12-06-2011, 12:53 AM

355 posts, read 508,630 times
Well its snowing here and 28°f and i love it! Everyone else thinks im crazy!

Old 12-06-2011, 07:35 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,876,952 times
well.. I think you are right on!!... I'm with you IL2ak4job... no snow here yet but it certainly is in the air... bring it on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska