Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 10:48 PM

395 posts, read 1,716,948 times

Advertisements

I've distinctly remember being told I could visit Cordova by plane or the marine hiway. Recently, according Map Quest, there is a road to the main area of Alaska. Or, maybe, I just did not see where it terminate. AQ', now that U are in Cordova, can U verify that as a fact or fiction\?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2007, 11:42 PM

201 posts, read 823,070 times
There is no road to/from Cordova, and given the vast # of "No Road!" bumper stickers and T shirts you see around town I'd guess there won't ever be. Might be you saw the Copper River HWY and missed it's end, it is 50ish miles long and then just ends at Child's Glacier.

As far as where it is located, it's centralish, on the coast, not far from Valdez- here's a Wiki page that shows it on a map Cordova, Alaska - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks for the compliments, this place is photography-junkee heavan!!

Old 09-01-2007, 12:08 AM

3,774 posts, read 11,228,177 times
Shhhh! Alaska is one of the worst kept secrets in the modern world. It's like the tale of the man with the fly in his soup. "Don't wave it about, or scream or shout, or the others will want one, too!"

I have a million pics of Alaska, and like any good miser, I dole them out in my own little penurious ways. I love watching people on their 1st visit here. Every view is new again to me.

I'm happy to see another satisfied resident, and you're right, Cordova is gorgeous! Happy trails and good luck!

Old 09-01-2007, 12:11 AM

395 posts, read 1,716,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquariusmom View Post
There is no road to/from Cordova, and given the vast # of "No Road!" bumper stickers and T shirts you see around town I'd guess there won't ever be. Might be you saw the Copper River HWY and missed it's end, it is 50ish miles long and then just ends at Child's Glacier.

As far as where it is located, it's centralish, on the coast, not far from Valdez- here's a Wiki page that shows it on a map Cordova, Alaska - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks for the compliments, this place is photography-junkee heavan!!
Thanks, AQ'. Every time as I do my yearly trek to Alaska, I've tried to visit a different place before heading back down. Cordova was on my list a couple of years back but we end up going across Canada ending in New Foundland w/a promise of seeing Cordova 'next time'. It has not happen this last couple of trips. Maybe next year.

Old 09-01-2007, 02:33 AM

24 posts, read 92,035 times
Wow great pictures! Glad to hear your enjoying it.

Old 09-01-2007, 01:55 PM

35 posts, read 117,113 times
You have been there for a week and love it? Good for you. No one will argue about summers in Alaska- perhaps the best in the world. Tell us if you still like it in April....

Old 09-01-2007, 02:52 PM

8 posts, read 20,363 times
Default everyone lied

ok. acquariusmom...you finally did it...your pushed my nostangia button and sent my level of homesickness over the limits with those beautiful photos and comments. i left alaska abour 25 years ago....little more to the south than you....sitka (Mt edgecumbe boarding school) to be exact. turned out to be toe worst decision i even made....even though we spent the six years after that in Germany. since retirement i have wanted to move back....back...back to southeast....but wish you the very best up there and hope you enjoy the alaska experienceas much as i did.

Old 09-02-2007, 09:33 PM

19 posts, read 92,335 times
I just looked at all your photos from your SC-AK trip. I'm absolutely speechless - what a fantastic tour! Thank you so much for sharing those. I emailed them to friends too. Hope Cordova is everything you'd hoped it would be! What a marvelous family experience.

Old 09-04-2007, 06:28 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,826,734 times
Could you please take a weed wacker and clean up the sidewalk along the yellow and blue buildings on mainstreet? It's lookin a tad overgrown!

Old 09-06-2007, 12:44 AM

11 posts, read 104,767 times
Welcome to Alaska, our little part of heaven on earth.

Thank you for sharing your pictures, it is very pretty there. Course of the places I have been in Alaska there hasn't been a place that wasn't beautiful.

Deb
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska