Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2008, 01:17 PM

1,255 posts, read 2,269,131 times

Advertisements

Metla,

Grill needs to chill. Mine wasn't so much a critique as a gentle suggestion. The fixes I suggested takes about 30 seconds with a tool like PS CS4 and improves the photograph considerably.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 03:36 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,104,306 times
Enough. I appreciate criticism, it aids in learning more, it shows a different point of view. I am not professing to be the next Ansel Adams, nor would I wish for that accolade. Have I felt a bit singled out at times? You bet. Notrees is welcomed to critique my images, just as anyone is, the more the merrier - I will LEARN. What rankles me, and perhaps it is a mere personality issue, is the manner of which you go about it, Notrees, and the manner with which you communicate via your posts. I evidently cannot live up to your expectations. The last photo was not any I would display in a gallery by any means. I shot an image of the snow and sky, belatedly realizing that my settings were from a prior shoot. I know it was too warm, I know it was overexposed a wee bit...but the point was the snowfall.
This particular thread is not a popularity contest. It is not ANY contest. It is to share with whomever stumbles upon it our collective views of this fair state. The lighting here presents a greater challenge than I have ever known, and yet...the opportunities are endless. I do not utilize PS CS-whatever version. I will not any time soon. I utilize a program that allows me to add a watermark if I choose, helps convert the RAW images into Jpegs, allows me to crop and sharpen if need be. And that is all. I do not shoot an image thinking it may be shyte initially, but I can always 'fix' it in PS - make it more artsy for popular demand.

You are welcomed to critique me...but please, offer a comparison. If it is not of Alaska since this is the Alaskan photo forum...then post a link to an image you've shot. If not that, add some to your album so I can see. Or ask for an email address. Post a piece of work of yours. You only add credibility.

Met. You are welcomed to your opinion. I do not have one, one way or another. Rance, warpt, Xa'at, AuroraWatcher, Nephler, Grill God, akvarmit, and I'm certain I've missed others...as far as I am concerned have better photos than I do. That will not - and you will not - deter me from doing something that is a catharsis for me. It really does not matter if I sell another photo or if I don't...what matters is if there is one person who will have gained a moment of what I felt at the time I was fortunate to capture that particular image - I have done my best.

Old 11-13-2008, 03:41 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,123,667 times
Everyone takes great pictures. I try my best, I'm not trying to impress. I'm on a learning curve, too. I am not a professional photographer nor do I want to be. I love looking at pictures from everyone else and everyone does a great job. Keep up the good work!

Old 11-13-2008, 03:52 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,123,667 times
Taken with my Fuji this morning.

Old 11-13-2008, 03:55 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,104,306 times
I love the second one, Jo-Jo. They are such interesting birds. I love their squawks and whistles.

Old 11-13-2008, 04:09 PM

1,255 posts, read 2,269,131 times
HiLady,

What in the world is this rant about? And what is this business about being "singled out"? Perish the thought. You are perhaps being precious here?

What is this peeve about my "manner"? I try to stay on issues unlike some of you who have gotten personal, who cannot brook a difference of opinion. Why, do you remember how when I criticized one lady politician, you divined things about me, suggested that I hated women or something to that effect? I simply ignored that cheap shot as I would most that are beyond silly. It is perplexing that you hold yourself to one standard and moi to another one.

Apropos of your photographs - I offered comments (not critiques) because I recall you saying you are a photographer. They were made in a friendly spirit. As a photographer myself, I am instinctively inclined to comment on a fellow photog's work. Nowhere have I declaimed your talents or suggested that I am better than you are. Show me ONE instance where I have made harsh remarks about your photo work. If you cannot, hold your peace and don't whine. This is a PUBLIC forum, not a private club. When you post in the public domain you have to be prepared to accept public responses. Else you have the option of forming a closed mailing list and restrict participation.

Be that as it may, I shall desist from commenting on your photos henceforth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandLady View Post
Enough. I appreciate criticism, it aids in learning more, it shows a different point of view. I am not professing to be the next Ansel Adams, nor would I wish for that accolade. Have I felt a bit singled out at times? You bet. Notrees is welcomed to critique my images, just as anyone is, the more the merrier - I will LEARN. What rankles me, and perhaps it is a mere personality issue, is the manner of which you go about it, Notrees, and the manner with which you communicate via your posts. I evidently cannot live up to your expectations. The last photo was not any I would display in a gallery by any means. I shot an image of the snow and sky, belatedly realizing that my settings were from a prior shoot. I know it was too warm, I know it was overexposed a wee bit...but the point was the snowfall.
This particular thread is not a popularity contest. It is not ANY contest. It is to share with whomever stumbles upon it our collective views of this fair state. The lighting here presents a greater challenge than I have ever known, and yet...the opportunities are endless. I do not utilize PS CS-whatever version. I will not any time soon. I utilize a program that allows me to add a watermark if I choose, helps convert the RAW images into Jpegs, allows me to crop and sharpen if need be. And that is all. I do not shoot an image thinking it may be shyte initially, but I can always 'fix' it in PS - make it more artsy for popular demand.

You are welcomed to critique me...but please, offer a comparison. If it is not of Alaska since this is the Alaskan photo forum...then post a link to an image you've shot. If not that, add some to your album so I can see. Or ask for an email address. Post a piece of work of yours. You only add credibility.

Met. You are welcomed to your opinion. I do not have one, one way or another. Rance, warpt, Xa'at, AuroraWatcher, Nephler, Grill God, akvarmit, and I'm certain I've missed others...as far as I am concerned have better photos than I do. That will not - and you will not - deter me from doing something that is a catharsis for me. It really does not matter if I sell another photo or if I don't...what matters is if there is one person who will have gained a moment of what I felt at the time I was fortunate to capture that particular image - I have done my best.

Old 11-13-2008, 04:10 PM

2,397 posts, read 4,701,504 times
Nice shot Warpt. I also love Ravens. Very smart birds.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:31 PM

905 posts, read 2,400,692 times
Ummm guys....photo thread. There are plenty of other forums to discuss minor changes in photos. Here it's just, turn your camera on and take some beautiful shots and share them with everyone. Have fun and share, that's how this thread got to over 200 pages...relax and just take a picture

Old 11-13-2008, 05:33 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,943,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfectedMushroom View Post
Ummm guys....photo thread. There are plenty of other forums to discuss minor changes in photos. Here it's just, turn your camera on and take some beautiful shots and share them with everyone. Have fun and share, that's how this thread got to over 200 pages...relax and just take a picture
Totally agree

Old 11-13-2008, 06:23 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Excuse me?

Quote:
Met. You are welcomed to your opinion. I do not have one, one way or another. Rance, warpt, Xa'at, AuroraWatcher, Nephler, Grill God, akvarmit, and I'm certain I've missed others...as far as I am concerned have better photos than I do. That will not - and you will not - deter me from doing something that is a catharsis for me.
No one's trying to "deter" you from anything.

And here it is only November....

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska