Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 02:20 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,205,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
As impressive as the discovery of 2 billion barrels of oil is, it pales in comparison to Saudi Arabia and Venezuela's proven oil reserves of over 250 billion barrels of oil. America really needs to get itself off the addiction of oil, our future prosperity really depends on it. Natural Gas would make a great alternative that could replace oil today, until renewable energy technology develops.
Along the 2 billion barrels of oil in the small area talked about in the article, there is approximately 80 billion cubic feet of natural gas. But that's not all, since there are a lot of other areas in Alaska (even around Fairbanks) that have very large deposits of both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 02:32 PM

64 posts, read 138,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
As impressive as the discovery of 2 billion barrels of oil is, it pales in comparison to Saudi Arabia and Venezuela's proven oil reserves of over 250 billion barrels of oil. America really needs to get itself off the addiction of oil, our future prosperity really depends on it. Natural Gas would make a great alternative that could replace oil today, until renewable energy technology develops.
Saudi hit peak oil about 3 years ago and Venezuela can't produce from the Orinoco because of logistical problems. Just ask BP and Conoco - who pulled out b/c of those problems - not Chavez related.

Shale is prevalent all over western half of the US - and, when crude hits $200 bbl, then they'll start work again. Natural gas is the best alternative. I'm converting two gassers to burn NG, CNG and LP - my state offers tax credits for dual fuel (not ethanol).

Old 02-27-2012, 04:48 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,037,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by induchman View Post
Saudi hit peak oil about 3 years ago and Venezuela can't produce from the Orinoco because of logistical problems. Just ask BP and Conoco - who pulled out b/c of those problems - not Chavez related.

Shale is prevalent all over western half of the US - and, when crude hits $200 bbl, then they'll start work again. Natural gas is the best alternative. I'm converting two gassers to burn NG, CNG and LP - my state offers tax credits for dual fuel (not ethanol).
There is 5 bb left in Prudhoe, 27bb offshore the north slope, 10bb in ANWR, plus this 2bb of shale oil and 30bb of heavy oil that can't be pumped yet. Not counting what is in Bakken, Gulf of Mexico, off California etc. We still have enough oil to keep using it if we are allowed to actually drill for it.

Plus there is a lot of coal that can be converted, eventually we will go off oil, but not because we run out of it. We will go off oil when we find a better alternative, gas is good and we can make a transfer to that in the meantime.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:54 PM

3,515 posts, read 7,786,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Along the 2 billion barrels of oil in the small area talked about in the article, there is approximately 80 billion cubic feet of natural gas. But that's not all, since there are a lot of other areas in Alaska (even around Fairbanks) that have very large deposits of both.
Yes I noticed that, that's way I suggested running vehicles on Natural gas instead of oil.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:02 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,845,945 times
Keep in mind the subject of this thread is shale oil and gas. NOT FUSION or the ability to read or write anything. You that want to go off topic do it with DM's or stay on topic.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:08 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,205,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyAuke View Post
Hydro is great here in SE, doesn't seem to mess with the salmon runs (or at least people don't complain) like it does in the lower 48. When electric cars get better, I bet they will do really well in areas already on hydro because electricity is so darn cheap compared to gas. As it is, most people here would do fine in electric cars since we can't really drive long distance anyway. The missing link is we need electric cars with 4WD and more space for hauling things.
The problem with electric automobiles in Alaska mostly is in relation to the very cold temperatures. These in turn make all types of lubricants on the power train very thick, which in turn increases the amount of drag on the electric motors. There batteries lose capacity very fast during the winter months. But you are right about SE Alaska in that most people don't drive very far, so electric cars should work there.

Something else that would be a good idea is for the lawmakers to allow for the use of ATV's on paved roads, at least in some SE towns. I am not referring to average ATV, but to road-legal quads used in some of the European nations. These are wider overall, have smooth and wide tires for driving on paved roads. Also, the center of gravity is lower than the ATV's in the US. Of course, only licensed or trained drivers should be allied to use them.

Here is one of numerous street-legal quads used in Europe:
http://www.gizmag.com/venom-evil-quad/15222/

This one has a small motor (249-CC), so it's quite good on fuel.

Last edited by RayinAK; 02-27-2012 at 09:22 PM..

Old 02-28-2012, 06:30 PM

162 posts, read 362,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
The problem with electric automobiles in Alaska mostly is in relation to the very cold temperatures. These in turn make all types of lubricants on the power train very thick, which in turn increases the amount of drag on the electric motors. There batteries lose capacity very fast during the winter months. But you are right about SE Alaska in that most people don't drive very far, so electric cars should work there.

Something else that would be a good idea is for the lawmakers to allow for the use of ATV's on paved roads, at least in some SE towns. I am not referring to average ATV, but to road-legal quads used in some of the European nations. These are wider overall, have smooth and wide tires for driving on paved roads. Also, the center of gravity is lower than the ATV's in the US. Of course, only licensed or trained drivers should be allied to use them.

Here is one of numerous street-legal quads used in Europe:
The Venom Evil street legal quad

This one has a small motor (249-CC), so it's quite good on fuel.
I see some stuff on our roads that I'm rather certain is not street legal. I think the authorities turn a bit of a blind eye, because that's hardly the most sinister thing happening even in a small town.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:53 PM

64 posts, read 138,461 times
Electric cars are in the lower 48 cities, where plug ins can be provided, but the batteries that are dangerous to deal with over time.

I don't know of a single state that allows atv's for street use. Never have seen one with a license plate.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:15 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,028,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Well, with the U.S. using over 6 billion barrels a year, that's about enough for 1/3 of a year.
Even if you dedicated the entire output of TAPS just to pumping these 2 billion bbls, it would take about 5 years to pump it all down south. You seem to have a real problem with basic math.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:16 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,150,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by induchman View Post
I don't know of a single state that allows atv's for street use. Never have seen one with a license plate.
You can license and ride on the streets in Montana and Wyoming. You can't ride them on the freeways though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska