Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2012, 06:15 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times

Advertisements

Look back a page, Neph.

Eves, I think that you've also got a touch of narcissistic personality disorder. You seem to have some weird compulsion to make almost every thread here about yourself, and to drag your silly preaching into them.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:18 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,250,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla
I think that you're suffering from a form of mental illness known as religious mania, Eves -- kind of like those guys you see on street corners shouting various biblically derived incoherencies before they're carted off to the local psych. ward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
Nope - no proof of any hysteria - but it is obvious - you are possessed with a very bad case of ............hate!
I don't see it in your quote.

Never mind.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:29 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,787,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Look back a page, Neph.

Eves, I think that you've also got a touch of narcissistic personality disorder. You seem to have some weird compulsion to make almost every thread here about yourself, and to drag your silly preaching into them.
Wrong again Met - you keep bringing up my name - you are the one making this all about "your hatred of the simple truth"

Old 04-20-2012, 06:37 PM

The truth is that not all religions/beliefs think that science doesn't belong.

The Wiccan believe science, evolution and creation belong together.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:38 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
Wrong again Met - you keep bringing up my name - you are the one making this all about "your hatred of the simple truth"
Hasn't it warmed up enough in Anchorage yet so that you can go preach on the street?

Old 04-20-2012, 06:45 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,522,496 times
Hey Sity - Since you mentioned a bunch of things in recent history are in the bible that was written 5,000 years ago, please tell me what is going to happen in the future? What country is going to be involved and the name of the person that will commit the atrocity. Does it also tell you the 'year' it will happen? That would be helpful too...

Old 04-20-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
Hey Sity - Since you mentioned a bunch of things in recent history are in the bible that was written 5,000 years ago, please tell me what is going to happen in the future? What country is going to be involved and the name of the person that will commit the atrocity. Does it also tell you the 'year' it will happen? That would be helpful too...
Awaiting for the answer to that one.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:06 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,134,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_North View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, but I know about them and there is nothing about church that attracts me. (I'm an anti-theist as well as an atheist, so it would not be a good fit for me.)
Me, too, but the place I visited had general interests common to everybody. he would usually write essays about many various things. Plus, there was nothing of a theistic message. When I was in Abilene, there was a very nice house, and many who came were professors. After the service, there were usually lively debates.

In Arlington, there it was much the same, except there was no nice classical music and no professors with their debates. I'm sure most were agnostics or atheists. I finally moved to another town and just never got around to finding another church. It was funny, because the "established" churches thought we were all evil, LOL !

Old 04-20-2012, 07:20 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,865,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
You are right, we have freedom of religion but not from religion. Like it or not, this country was founded by men, who (in theory) lived their lives according to Judeo-Christian principles, thus, we have many references to God (the Judeo-Christian God of the Holy Bible).

Whether an individual "accepts" God or not is immaterial, to the extent, it does not change the historical role it has played and will continue to play in the formation of our great nation.

To put it simply, the mere recognition and acknowledgement of "God" is not antithetical to us as a nation, to the contrary, it is the continuation of what has always been our tradition and heritage since its creation.
Like the founding father who wrote a new edition of the Bible where he excised all the supernatural parts, so it could be used as philosophical text rather than a religious one? Or the founding father who wrote The Age of Reason, promoting Deism? Dang, I must have missed the part of Sunday School where it turns out that those things are part of the "Judeo-Christian" set of principles.

I guess you could broadly argue that it's part of the Judeo-Christian tradition, in that Deism grew out of it, but by that logic Islam is also a Judeo-Christian religion and sharia law would therefore be a fine basis for judicial decisions in the US, and if your public school teacher wants to make kneeling toward Mecca part of the school day, no problem.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:34 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,865,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Unless you witnessed each one of these events happen then you must have faith and belief that the person reporting it to you isn't just laying out a line of BS. Just like the whole evolution thing, total fabricated BS.

Science or Religion, they all take faith and belief.
That's not really faith, though. That's trust, trusting that scientists have gotten good data and drawn good conclusions from it. You could theoretically verify the results of scientific experiments and observations by reproducing them yourself, or by observing someone else doing so. And the conclusions that aren't positively verifiable are clearly identified as "theories," and the choice about whether to believe them (or to dismiss or modify them in light of new data) comes down to whether you accept the evidence and the conclusions drawn from it, assuming you have the knowledge necessary to formulate a reasonable evaluation. Yes, one might lack the knowledge or resources to perform exploration, experimentation, and evaluation, but if one gained access to those things, the person could check up any truly scientific endeavor, and if a scientist is reputable and ethical, they should welcome this verification.

The same cannot be said of purely religious claims. When the Bible says a burning bush talked to Moses, or a preacher says Jesus is watching me, there's no way to check that claim. Believing religious ideas takes more than trust, it also takes pure faith to believe in things that are not only unseen, but also unseeable. And Christianity takes this faith in intangibles as a virtue - take the story of Jesus admonishing Thomas for needing to see and touch the wounds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska