Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 12:28 PM

868 posts, read 1,426,745 times

Advertisements

Hello, all.

I am thinking it is time for me to leave Anchorage, and I need some information, the kind I cannot easily get just by Googling.

Please tell me about your Alaska town. What is the job market like, and the rental market? Is it easy or difficult to find housing if you have pets? Are the people friendly or more reserved?

A few places that have intrigued me are Homer, Valdez, and Talkeetna. I see people describing Fairbanks in glowing terms, but I fear it may be a little too cold for a little too long.

I apologize for the vagueness of this question, but I am really just getting started, and it is difficult to be more precise without a target community in mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 12:46 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,517,762 times
Why are you leaving anchorage? (or why do you want to?)

Might help people steer you away from going somewhere that is worse for you then where you are at. No sense jumping from the fire to the frying pan as they say...

It will also help me decide whether one day I would consider anchorage as a place to move to.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:50 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,432,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJazzyP View Post
Hello, all.

I am thinking it is time for me to leave Anchorage, and I need some information, the kind I cannot easily get just by Googling.

Please tell me about your Alaska town. What is the job market like, and the rental market? Is it easy or difficult to find housing if you have pets? Are the people friendly or more reserved?

A few places that have intrigued me are Homer, Valdez, and Talkeetna. I see people describing Fairbanks in glowing terms, but I fear it may be a little too cold for a little too long.

I apologize for the vagueness of this question, but I am really just getting started, and it is difficult to be more precise without a target community in mind.
I was thinking might be helpful if you put this into the (sorry, got AK ON THE BRAIN) I meant the other states you have an interst in.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
Why are you leaving anchorage? (or why do you want to?)

Might help people steer you away from going somewhere that is worse for you then where you are at. No sense jumping from the fire to the frying pan as they say...

It will also help me decide whether one day I would consider anchorage as a place to move to.
I have several reasons, not all of which I want to list here, but mostly it is about the cost of renting here, and a nagging feeling I have that I am missing out on many of the things that make Alaska special.

My feelings at this point are subjective and hard to articulate, but I will try. I love it when I read posts from people here who describe towns that have a real sense of community. I like cities, but Anchorage does not really embody the best of city life for me. If that is what I want, I would be better off moving back to Chicago, where I spent a brief but very enjoyable year.

I am here in Alaska now, for better or for worse, and I have seen enough small glimpses of what life here could be like that I think I am ready for more.

Old 04-29-2012, 03:02 PM

So if I understand you correctly, you want to move to a more rural, few people, close knit community and get away from city life?

Old 04-29-2012, 03:19 PM

118 posts, read 261,401 times
I always had a strong attraction towards Agattu it might be a little crowded in the summer population of 60k birds

Old 04-29-2012, 03:24 PM

879 posts, read 1,731,348 times
Move to Homer, then start a blog about all of your experiences, with thousands of pictures of the entire area, buildings included, so I can really get a feel for it.

Old 04-29-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
So if I understand you correctly, you want to move to a more rural, few people, close knit community and get away from city life?
Not exactly, but close enough. I do not dislike city life. I would be quite happy to live in Chicago again, or NYC. The problem is, Anchorage offers neither the best of the city (really good public transit is close to the top of this list) nor the best of what draws people to Alaska. It is a compromise. I do not like compromises.

Old 04-29-2012, 03:33 PM

118 posts, read 261,401 times
Juneau is nice. Good public transit not overly populated although we are loosing our downtown grocery in September so will have to go out to the Valley for the essentials.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:14 PM

That makes a certain amount of sense....

Good luck and I hope you find what you are looking for!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska