Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 11:46 PM

868 posts, read 1,426,842 times

Advertisements

Picture didn't load, blackzzz01.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 12:00 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,860,068 times
I like the vibe in both Seward and Homer. Of course, I'm only familiar with them as a visitor, not as a resident. I think I'd get tired of tourists, though.

I think if I was going to move away from where I live now, my first choice would be Valdez, even with the weather.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:12 AM

4,320 posts, read 4,784,290 times
I've lived & worked all over this entire state in many different places; but of all the places we have lived and resided in... My sons all say... Valdez was their favorite place by far.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:00 AM

1,084 posts, read 2,056,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJazzyP View Post
Picture didn't load, blackzzz01.
I'll try it again Jazzy

Old 04-30-2012, 02:14 AM

868 posts, read 1,426,842 times
Nope. Problem could be on my end, though.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:57 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,098,118 times
As a fellow Miata owner like that makes sense I understand.

I would spend a week in Girdwood. It is in my viewpoint magical, close enough to Anchorage in case you miss it and a very special small and friendly place. Talkeetna would be my 2nd choice. Work in either area would be according to your skills and how resourceful you are. Every time and I mean every time I go either place I like them more. You won't need public transit except your two feet. Rents will be higher in Girdwood but it's the kinda place you can walk into the bookstore find a posting or ask anyone and find a deal.

zoom zoom

Old 04-30-2012, 08:58 AM

635 posts, read 1,655,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicBear View Post
Move to Homer, then start a blog about all of your experiences, with thousands of pictures of the entire area, buildings included, so I can really get a feel for it.
Oh I like that...LOL I am eyeballing Kenai Peninsula for smaller towns, little less expensive living and that smaller community feel. If Homer doesn't work out...start a blog in the peninsula with details on jobs, housing etc. LOL

Geez that would make my quest easier. If you could arrange my move, that would be great too!

Old 04-30-2012, 09:00 AM

635 posts, read 1,655,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
I've lived & worked all over this entire state in many different places; but of all the places we have lived and resided in... My sons all say... Valdez was their favorite place by far.
What makes Valdez so special? It looks beautiful.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:03 PM

811 posts, read 1,317,565 times
I would think what line of work would you like to get into?
Looking for a little smaller city than anchorage with less people & crime?

Old 05-01-2012, 12:32 AM

2,758 posts, read 5,287,317 times
What do you do for a living, Jazzy? And are there specific things you're wanting to do more of that you're not able to in Anchorage, or is it more a feeling that you're missing out on some of the more interesting aspects of Alaska by living in the city?

I've been to Homer and Talkeetna for a couple days each, so I don't know much about them, but they both seem like they have a decent local art scene, good restaurants, breweries, bars, etc. On those counts they both win over Valdez. This is a grittier, blue-collar sort of town. It's pretty far out here, the weather is often challenging (yes the snow is awesome and hilarious, but it can also be quite destructive, time-consuming, and tiring to deal with), and there are a quite a lot of people who are only here for a paycheck. The rental market isn't great by any means, either. Those are the downsides. The upsides? It's an absolutely amazing place. You can go from a fjord on Prince William Sound to the alpine tundra of Thompson Pass in half an hour. There's a ridiculous diversity of outdoor opportunities, scenery, and wildlife here. And there aren't a whole lot of people to share it with. And maybe best of all, there are some really good jobs that will allow you to actually enjoy living here. There are some really great people here, too. If you're inclined to get involved in local groups and events, you'll find it to be a very welcoming place.

I think if I were you I'd also consider Seward. It has kind of similar geography, without being as far from everywhere else, a cute downtown area, and probably somewhat less crazy weather. Since you're already up here, you definitely need to at least take a weekend trip to the towns you're thinking about. Then start looking for jobs and see if that pushes you in one direction or another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska