Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 07:44 AM

238 posts, read 554,428 times

Advertisements

hey im from UK and love the US, but this does confuse me, why, if Alaska is an American state, is it apart of Canada?
Is it a government thing or...?
Rachx90
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 10:47 AM

24 posts, read 31,754 times
Alaska purchase - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Alaska purchase - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/url]

Old 09-27-2007, 11:15 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachx90 View Post
hey im from UK and love the US, but this does confuse me, why, if Alaska is an American state, is it apart of Canada?
Is it a government thing or...?
Rachx90
It's not a part of Canada. How'd you get that idea? Just physical location?

Old 09-27-2007, 12:50 PM

469 posts, read 2,736,828 times
When I was a child, it always sort of bothered me that Alaska was detached from the rest of the USA. Yes, Hawaii is floating out in the Pacific Ocean, but it's an island and somehow that seems more natural than a giant landmass like Alaska being stuck to Canada. I thought that the USA should buy that little strip of land down Canada's coastline and attach Alaska to Washington State. I worried about very odd things as a child.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:08 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,563,840 times
And take Vancouver? I don't think so. What would be the point, so someone can make the 10 ho. ur drive from Seattle? It would be easier to swallow geographically if the Eastern border wasn't an arbitrary line. We should have it follow a river. Anyways, I was always intrigued by Russia's former presence in the west. From Alaska all the way down to Sevastapol, Calif.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:25 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,229,634 times
Seward purchased Alaska from the Russians, one of the smartest real estate deals ever recorded. Manhattan's purchase for $24.00 in beads pales in comparison. His contemporaries, however, referred to the purchase as "Seward's Folly" or Seward's Ice Box". It was largely regarded as a vast land of ice and snow with little to recommend it to prospective settlers. Gold found in Juneau, Fairbanks and Nome led to several separate "rushes", and people found other reasons to stay. Seattle treated Alaska as a private fiefdom, charging all the traffic would bear for food, freight and supplies for over 100 years. When the issue of statehood would "rear it's ugly head", Seattleites would push to retain Alaska's territorial status.

During WWII, Canada and the US built the AlCan Highway, a true modern engineering marvel, and the first road INTO Alaska brought traffic and freight via land, bypassing Seattle and the sea route.

Statehood finally occurred in 1959, and the discovery of oil on the North Slope brought in more people to build the pipeline. Voila! New "rush" is on.

People here are looking forward to the next rush, the gas pipeline.

Cliff Note History of American ownership of Alaska. (C) JavaPhil 2007

LOL

Last edited by Marka; 10-25-2012 at 12:38 AM..

Old 09-27-2007, 10:56 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,804,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippienne View Post
When I was a child, it always sort of bothered me that Alaska was detached from the rest of the USA.
yes it is, and we like it that way.

Old 09-28-2007, 12:35 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,832,856 times
I find it awesome that we are a seperate state. It's one on the list of many reasons why I live here.

Old 09-28-2007, 12:46 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippienne View Post
When I was a child, it always sort of bothered me that Alaska was detached from the rest of the USA. Yes, Hawaii is floating out in the Pacific Ocean, but it's an island and somehow that seems more natural than a giant landmass like Alaska being stuck to Canada. I thought that the USA should buy that little strip of land down Canada's coastline and attach Alaska to Washington State. I worried about very odd things as a child.
Canadistan is stuck to Alaska, not the other way around. Don't tell anyone, but during the next break-up, Alaska is going annex the Yukon Territory.

If Alaska was any easier to access, then there would be more people here, and that would spoil the attraction that brought current Alaskans to this wonderful state.

Old 09-28-2007, 12:11 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,412,216 times
What about the borders to the lower 48's and we have Mexico that borders the lower 48's also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska